Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Can you clarify what you mean by "rate"?
Joshua Clottey was a tough bout to everyone he fought, no one is going to remember him or list him as some good win when talking about legacy
at some point I have to realize a fighter is usually just that....a tough match the elite favorite is almost always going to beat. I put porter in that category. He's competitive. When I look at elite top tier fighters i don't want them going life and death with him and IF THEY DO I downgrade how good I thought they were. We seen people beat Porter "cleanly" imo

I think he is the not elite but very good category, not a P4P top 10 fighter but somewhere in the top 30 or so. And because of his style and attributes, he can give anyone a hard fight even elite guys. He's a good scalp for anyone at 147 especially if someone would manage to stop him or just beat him without struggling. To this day Brook beat him the most convincing imo, it was an ugly ass fight though.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps

I watched some video sometimes where a guy explained that Philly Shell is actually the posture Frazier (and others) was doing and the stuff Floyd and Toney did called the Michigan Crab. Former supposed to be more square on and the shell is used with constant bobbing-weaving, so it's more aggressive, while the latter is rather bladed and more straight up, rather bends backward than forward. But today it seems like Philly Shell became the accepted name of Mayweather's stance :manny:

Regardless of the name though this was a good short video on it

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I think he is the not elite but very good category, not a P4P top 10 fighter but somewhere in the top 30 or so. And because of his style and attributes, he can give anyone a hard fight even elite guys. He's a good scalp for anyone at 147 especially if someone would manage to stop him or just beat him without struggling. To this day Brook beat him the most convincing imo, it was an ugly ass fight though.

This guy said Mean Machine was a better opp than Porter bro. I may not be impressed with Porter, but I ain't ever say he can't fight, I ain't impressed with him mostly because he gets in his own way most of the time smothering his work and leaving himself off balance, he can be undisciplined and sloppy.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
This guy said Mean Machine was a better opp than Porter bro.

I said I value them the same as wins and don't know who would win between them if they fought :unimpressed:
I got Porter coming off two losses, I thought he lost to Ugas, so obviously yall think he better than I think he is.
Either way I feel confident going forward that he is not going have a resurgence of big wins to elevate his standing in my mind and he'll remain where he is as a one dimensional opponent who will always lose to fighters i consider elite

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I said I value them the same as wins and don't know who would win between them if they fought :unimpressed:
I got Porter coming off two losses, I thought he lost to Ugas, so obviously yall think he better than I think he is.
Either way I feel confident going forward that he is not going have a resurgence of big wins to elevate his standing in my mind and he'll remain where he is as a one dimensional opponent who will always lose to fighters i consider elite
Actually I wouldn't call Porter one dimensional, I think he played the boxer part pretty well in the Ugas fight and sometimes in the Swift fight. Not the elegant, graceful boxer who dances rings around you but he has good springs in his legs and he can bother the shyt out of his opponents with his awkward up jabbing sometimes. Earlier in his career he wasn't as aggressive either but when he became the pitbull he is that's where he found himself imo.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
and Bud got downgraded for letting Mean Machine DROP him as well as winning a couple rounds and landing the same shot repeatedly. You don't ever post the whole story. Yeah Bud beat his ass, but he had to work for it more than EVERYBODY thought he would.

. Crawford the one that had to get up and battle back.

Disagree :unimpressed:
He didn't struggle at all, it was a slip not a knockdown he wasn't wobbly or hurt at all, and definitely didn't turn into runtime. It was easy work where his opponent won 2 rounds at most, got beat down badly to the point it was hard to watch before the stoppage, and was winning easily on the cards
You don't ever post the whole story
watch it again

I'm not even going waste time going back and forth about Josesito Lopez being world class in the common sense boxing fans use that term (obviously he's world class in the literal sense since he fought for titles but anyway)

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Actually I wouldn't call Porter one dimensional, I think he played the boxer part pretty well in the Ugas fight and sometimes in the Swift fight. .

Thats one time in his career and in a fight i thought he was ineffective and lost :unimpressed:
Porter is not a good boxer and will never win a match outboxing an elite opponent. His only chance is to make the fight "his fight" which is to say rough and rugged and a war of attrition
never in my life have i heard ppl say porter would win a match by outboxing his opponent.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Porter is better than Mean Machine
but I also maintain that many on this forum makes the difference between these dudes out to be more than it really is simply because they like PBC and don't like TR/Bud.
Dulorme gave Ugas all he could handle, Ugas gave Porter all he could handle... the jump between the level of these guys ain't that big. Even though I also rate Porter higher than anyone Crawford beat.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Porter is better than Mean Machine

probably, i probably would pick him to beat MM one on one. at the same time like you said the gap ain't that large to CLOWN Bud for a pretty convincing win save 2 rounds and then turn around and act like going life and death with Porter is some amazing win
Shawn Porter being the hill ppl wanna die on defending on here is strange cause i def could see him being a guy who falls off quickly after all the wars he been thru combined with the fact his style is taxing to his own body.
Same for me and MM, i actually don't care about MM at all. That's just he win ppl always go to for criticizing Bud for whatever reason. If MM keeps losing going forward or looks bad then so be it, I'm not a MM fan. Just a guy to me, not elite

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
How did this turn into being about Bud and MM AGAIN :mjtf:
Can't even clown Thurman for getting rocked by Lopez before ppl go back to that well. gotta stop getting drug into that old shyt :martin: