Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
He more like a grizzly. Man got huge fists :hubie:
Met him once as a kid. We're from the same neighborhood. My aunt went to school with him back in the 50s. Nicest guy in the world.

But looking at those ass whuppins he handed in the 70s kinda makes it hard to believe he's the same guy he is today.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
Debating on twitter and what y’all think, why does Bud get credit for Gamboa but Spence gets no credit got Mikey?

Prolly because --unless I'm mistaken -- both Gamboa and Mikey started at featherweight, but Crawford fought Gamboa at 35 while Spence fought Mikey at 47.

Clearly there was a size disadvantage for both Gamboa and Mikey, but moreso in Mikey's case.

Spence's win over Mikey would become more significant if Mikey goes on to have a meaningful campaign at 47.

Edit: Overall excitement generated by each fight matters too.

Crawford Gamboa exciting as fukk, 4 knockdowns, Crawford's hometown, HBO Boxing after Dark.

Spence Garcia Fox PPV in Dallas, but the actual fight turned into a huge mismatch, no one needed that fight to go 12.

Obviously one fight is going to be looked upon more favorably. Over time though, the Mikey W is probably going to be a better name than the Gamboa W.

Last edited:

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
The Florida nikka inside me says....

Roy DEFINITELY ranks higher all time than Hopkins. :stopitslime::hhh:
nikkas will bring up longevity for Hopkins, but act like Roy wasn't dominant as fukk for 10 years. Them nikkas just spent their primes differently. One nikka was forced to run it back with Mercado while the other one was smacking up James Toney. Levels to this shyt. The guy that reached ATG status level first was bound to fall off before the guy who reached it a lot later. :manny:

agreed on Roy and Sweet Pea being the most pure talented nikkas in the last 25 years.

Prime Zab comes close though. When that nikka was focused chinks in his armor an all (ex. Millet fight:mjlol:) dude looked amazing. That speed and power was something else. Dude was throwing hard shots while turning the opposite direction to move away.:ohlawd:

Yeah that prime Zab pivot step/change direction straight, vice versa etc was a level above anyone then and now.

Only two fighters i could say have something close are Lomachenko or a younger version of Rigondeaux (in a different way.)

*On reflection it's clearly a southpaw advantage/attribute when executed correctly.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
Whoa Dierry Jean went to jail for robbing someone?

On Monday, a judge sentenced Montreal boxer Dierry Jean to 15 months in prison for violently robbing a woman in search of drug money. In the incident, which occurred back in November of 2014, Jean randomly attacked a woman, threatened to stab her, and then punched her in the face. The judge said she is now afraid to go outside in the evenings.

:huhldup:

Had no idea.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps

This boxing shyt crazy. I thought it was about the craft.
It's crazy a guy, 6'9 is that insecure that he cheats.
Wypipo man

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

:deadmanny:

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
It's strange to me how much if a teddy bear Big George is now compared to his glory days.
He had a complete turnaroumd when he lost to Jimmy Young. If I recall correctly I read it happened right after the fight in the locker room. He decided to retire and be a preacher.

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps

I been watching the fukk outta Valero fights lately.

Fantastic example of someones bad luck becoming their fuel and then becoming their strength.

Him getting banned by USA medical / sanctioning bodies made him get on his grind and become something else, outside of their control. LA, then Japan, then Mexico, he just grinded. You watch and read the stories about his runs to gym, his intensity in the gym etc, that's what made him heavy handed and unstoppable.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I been watching the fukk outta Valero fights lately.

Fantastic example of someones bad luck becoming their fuel and then becoming their strength.

Him getting banned by USA medical / sanctioning bodies made him get on his grind and become something else, outside of their control. LA, then Japan, then Mexico, he just grinded. You watch and read the stories about his runs to gym, his intensity in the gym etc, that's what made him heavy handed and unstoppable.
Then of course he was fighting with brain damage and the blows he took did him no good