The Official “Blowed Up” (My web series) Thread - [EPISODE 5 OUT NOW!] WATCH/SUPPORT!

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
@True Blue Moon :salute: for following your dreams

Blowed Up Series Pilot Review
Defining The Concept Of Black Identity

How two young men blend comedy and passion into a tale of upstate ambition
"People of color have a constant frustration of not being represented, or being misrepresented, and these images go around the world. It comes down to this: black people were stripped of our identities when we were brought here, and it's been a quest since then to define who we are."
-Spike Lee

Establishing identity as a black man or woman can present a challenging paradox within America. Every single idea, notion, or inclining is in some way defined by our race. The stereotype of the African American is one fraught with beauty and grotesque. Intelligence and ignorance. Struggle and triumph. As every individual seeks to attain their own voice and infuse it into the tapestry of the larger black collective, we are continually confronted with the test of authenticity. Is the personality that the individual has constructed for ones self credible to what constitutes progressive blackness? Can our differences as individuals still in some form or medium be bridged to a common understanding or goal? Are our hopes, dreams, desires, and talents unique enough to give us a foundation to speak the truths that our experiences have shown us to be factual?

To read more and watch the first episode click the link below

:salute: @Ziggiy for the review

Blowed Up Series Pilot Review | FTESWL

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
I alreasy wrote the review and submitted it @LinusCaldwell . The best thing I can really say is that I wish the episode was actually LONGER. I was really enjoying the banter and comradry between you and Terrence. And Breh, no disrespect to anybody on the show, but YOU are clearly the breakout star of the show. You are a natural in front the camera Breh, keep up the good work.

One thing I'd say is I wanted to see a little bit more of the Jodi character, it's like she pops in, your character gives her the :childplease:, she has a little convo with Ashley, then she's gone. It's almost like she was filler to highlight Ashley's trepidation. Of course I know you are only shooting 10-15 minute episodes, but again you've got good material and GREAT chemistry with the cast so hopefully if you do a season 2 you can expand the episode length

Man you wanting more is just about the best praise you could offer. I was super tight about having to cut it down as much as I did. We felt like we'd have a tough time gaining traction with such a long episode out of the gate. The pilot was easily the most time consuming and cumbersome episode of the three we shot, but it also gave us the most to play with in terms of editing.

And it's funny you say that about season 2. My gameplan in the back of my head is to put out these 14 episodes for season one, with episodes probably ranging between 7 and 15 minutes, tell a dope store, get a following and actually learn HOW to make a show. Then with season 2, hopefully our money, equipment and follow are legit so we can shoot an entire season of full length episodes. I love jokes and gags but really want to tell a story, so I'm glad that based on watching the pilot you would want more :salute:

We have a lot in store for Jodi's character. She actually wasn't even supposed to be in the pilot. I wrote the character to debut in like the 4th or 5th episode, but then when she took the role we saw that we have an X-factor and personality that we can build a lot of chemistry with, so just to give her some more shine earlier we wrote her into the pilot. We basically initially wrote her without investing a lot, but she was so dope in the table reads that she's going to be a far more important character than we initially intended and I think will help make the series dope. There are longer takes of her and Ashley's conversation and a lot of improv dialogue from the different takes. I'm thinking that I'll drop deleted and extended scenes little by little once we go have a break between episodes to shoot some more.

EDIT:

And thanks for the compliments on my camera presence. The cast gives me a lot to feed off and I have a feeling that at the end of the first season everyone is going to have their favorite character because there were some moments on set where we each took turns cracking up the entire room depending on the scene and situation. I think our chemistry will only get better from here too, because going into this as far as cast, crew and everybody, Terrence is the only person I knew. After sleeping on their couch for a few weeks and spending hours shooting this and going through a blizzard together we all got tight and will definitely be like family by the end of it.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

"People of color have a constant frustration of not being represented, or being misrepresented, and these images go around the world. It comes down to this: black people were stripped of our identities when we were brought here, and it's been a quest since then to define who we are."
-Spike Lee

Establishing identity as a black man or woman can present a challenging paradox within America. Every single idea, notion, or inclining is in some way defined by our race. The stereotype of the African American is one fraught with beauty and grotesque. Intelligence and ignorance. Struggle and triumph. As every individual seeks to attain their own voice and infuse it into the tapestry of the larger black collective, we are continually confronted with the test of authenticity. Is the personality that the individual has constructed for ones self credible to what constitutes progressive blackness? Can our differences as individuals still in some form or medium be bridged to a common understanding or goal? Are our hopes, dreams, desires, and talents unique enough to give us a foundation to speak the truths that our experiences have shown us to be factual?

@BmoreGorilla @Illeye buckmatic @mobbinfms @Prynce @MoonGoddess @Danie84 @RoyalQ @SoulController @IronFist @Realdealholy @MartyMcFly @Billy Ocean @Selah @General Mills @aceboon @Piff Perkins @blazn101 @Walt

#TPC

Support the Breh @True Blue Moon and link the review to your Facebook/Twitter. The pilot episode is linked within the review

Last edited:

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin

-Spike Lee

@Ziggiy

BRUH, thank you so much for the review and thank you @LinusCaldwell for publishing it. It was an honest look at it from your own perspective and I'm glad you detailed the points that we tried to hit. I don't know how something will be perceived until it leaves my head and people can have opinions on it, so good looking out for the kind, and most importantly, honest take on it.

I'm trying to do this with my life so good support while I grow is essential :salute:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
@Ziggiy

BRUH, thank you so much for the review and thank you @LinusCaldwell for publishing it. It was an honest look at it from your own perspective and I'm glad you detailed the points that we tried to hit. I don't know how something will be perceived until it leaves my head and people can have opinions on it, so good looking out for the kind, and most importantly, honest take on it.

I'm trying to do this with my life so good support while I grow is essential :salute:

No problem Breh. I believe that honest depictions of black creativity are definitely needed within the industry. I'd love to see talent and ambition like yours really take off someday, especially as a writer. I will also do a Season finale review for you once you get to that point. Keep it up and let the cast know how much we enjoyed ya'lls efforts :salute:

blazn101

TPC life..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Reposted from my Facebook:

The next episode of "Blowed Up", my web series has a special guest appearance from the very funny Lynne Koplitz. She's been in Chris Rock's Top Five, is in Louie CK's new mini series Horace and Pete, Comedy Central Presents, Joan Rivers' Joan Knows Best and hosted Change of Heart.

Check her out here killing on The View. And look for her appearance in "Blowed Up" the weekend of the 16th.