The Official “Blowed Up” (My web series) Thread - [EPISODE 5 OUT NOW!] WATCH/SUPPORT!

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
What were the costs associated with production?

As of right now it's just been a matter of borrowing equipment, paying for travel and buying lunches. shyt is going to be dirt cheap and really a bunch of artists trying to make something dope.

Cart way ahead of the horse, but I want season one to be a test run, and season two to be more ramped up, including establishing a production company and paying people for their work.

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Alright, I added a picture of "Jodi" in the OP. Quick update.

Had a meeting with the team today. Things are looking good. Right now we're looking at a full day Friday 22nd, call time of 8 a.m. and afternoon to late evening shoots Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th. Same schedule the following weekend. I'm traveling to New York City on the 20th to rehearse.

That boils down to getting a good 5 episodes in the can off rip before traveling back to Cali to begin editing them and publishing.

It's really happening :wow:

Y'all don't understand :wow:

We're even getting a cameo from a known comic who is legit and funny as fukk. Putting this in spoilers because I don't wanna put it out there like that quite yet:

Her name is Lynne Koplitz. She was on stage in Top Five at the end where Chris Rock went back to the comedy club, had a Comedy Central special, hosted Change of Heart for a minute.

Here's a clip of outtakes from a show she did with Patrice the gawd (RIP)

Between now and my travel date, I'll be working hard getting my lines down and trying to make this thing not suck. We already have a friend in the industry (won't say what capacity but a REALLY good look) who said they'll stick their neck out for us if our viewership ends up being legit, so you already know I'll be leaning on the brehs to get the word out :blessed:

But industry shyt aside, it's just going to be super fun making something in a few weeks and I got an amazing, small team making this happen and I'm still kind of in awe that it's shaping up. It'll be fun.

Me and my boy will probably be hitting some open mics while I'm up there too if any Coli brehs want to stop through and watch me bomb trying out new jokes :russ:

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
Is there any profit in web series?

Do you add it to any other sites other than YouTube?

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I've got 2nd hand excitement :obama:

The more excitement the better :blessed:

Is there any profit in web series?

Do you add it to any other sites other than YouTube?

I'm sure there is with things like ads, merchandise etc. For right now I'm not worried about monetizing any of this. Just want it to help me creatively and serve me in taking steps in the industry.

Right now I'm only putting it on YouTube, but may branch out and put it on other sites as well.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I think there are two big misconceptions people have:

1) "It's not what you know, it's WHO you know."
2) It's so hard to break into or do, so you may as well not even try

While #1 has some truth to it, there are a bunch of motherfukkers out here who don't want to work. Even if you luck up into crazy opportunities, there isn't anything that a person can do for you if you don't have a solid grind. As opposed to trying to get "discovered" or try to find that one mentor who will take me where I need to be, I just focus on trying to make dope shyt, because that one thing could make me a millionaire, or it could just put me one or two steps forward into another opportunity, or it could fukking suck, but I got valuable learning and experience from it.

But I go to so many networking functions and talk to people who have SO many ideas, but aren't actually writing. Everybody has ideas, but the people who treat it like a job that just happens to be high profile, as opposed to getting caught in the glitz and glamor are the ones who win. That kinda ties into #2...

Are the odds slim breaking into Hollywood? Absolutely. But it's not really like people would think because most people don't work or put themselves out there. Even as far as standup, open mics are brutal and long, but doing them all the time separates a comic from someone who just has a notepad and never puts themselves out there. And a lot of comics just hang out, smoke and chill, trying to make each other laugh as opposed to actually trying to legit propel themselves forward with goals.

Talent is important, sure, but one of my favorite comics, Bill Burr, said that it's not really what it's about. It's about a strong desire to actually do it and to never give up, as corny as that sounds. Because even if I post my shyt and everyone hates it, I can still find an audience that likes it and capitalize off of that. But if I give up, as opposed to figuring out how to do my thing, I'm just taking myself out the game.
Good post..

Expanding on #1. Alot of people bust their azz to get to the gatekeepers/ industry insiders but when they finally meet them they literally have no material to present to them. And if you're a writer that means having more than one solid script or tv show pilot in your arsenal because you're definitely going to get hit with the- "Ok that was cool but what else you got?" And it is sometimes surprising how many people don't write or tighten their craft. Go ahead and believe in that one script or ideal but back that sh*t up with 3-5 more projects.

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Good post..

Expanding on #1. Alot of people bust their azz to get to the gatekeepers/ industry insiders but when they finally meet them they literally have no material to present to them. And if you're a writer that means having more than one solid script or tv show pilot in your arsenal because you're definitely going to get hit with the- "Ok that was cool but what else you got?" And it is sometimes surprising how many people don't write or tighten their craft. Go ahead and believe in that one script or ideal but back that sh*t up with 3-5 more projects.

You said it, man. Are you currently working in the industry or trying to break in too?

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Just found out it's going to snow this weekend in NYC. Should be interesting and provide some dope visuals. Y'all be sure to follow me on Instagram also. @ImRoneG

I plan to be updating hard during this weekend's shoot on Periscope and Instagram. I'll load them in this thread too and will probably capture the Periscope sessions on YouTube for those who aren't able to watch live.