The Official "Better Call Saul" Season 4 Thread.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was watching episode 9.

Could someone explain to me the blasting scene.......I mean I get it.

But can someone make it make sense to me.......

What was the importance of the 18 wheeler, when they detonated the bombs?
To mask the sounds of the detonation

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just finished this season tonight. :wow: why was the scene between Mike and the German guy so powerful on the last episode?

The writing was just :wow: the death of a guy who wasn’t even a main player said so much. whereas on Power they kill a main player every week and it’s super :manny:

Anyways I’m caught up and ready for the new season :lawd:
It was powerful because mike befriended him and had to kill him. His first hit for fring which leads him down the path of being his number 1

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
in what way would you say...
Breaking Bad you were watching a guy who had lived the "straight" life and seeing the process of him turning over completely to his dark side. But you didn't know what the end game was going to be, you didn't know what would happen you were along for the ride.

Better Call Saul you're watching two characters turn over to their dark sides. But in this case you know where they'll end up, you're just learning how they got there. So it has a much different feel to it. It's slower and develops the characters more explicitly because there are a lot clearer limits on how they can end up.

I think both are really really good series but I was more entertained by Breaking Bad. And I feel that Better Call Saul just made the first really unbelievable character development mistake in the season finale and that taints it for me.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
If your not a patient person it’s probably not for you

if you love great writing and love character development you’ll love this if you enjoyed breaking bad.

Breaking Bad you were watching a guy who had lived the "straight" life and seeing the process of him turning over completely to his dark side. But you didn't know what the end game was going to be, you didn't know what would happen you were along for the ride.

Better Call Saul you're watching two characters turn over to their dark sides. But in this case you know where they'll end up, you're just learning how they got there. So it has a much different feel to it. It's slower and develops the characters more explicitly because there are a lot clearer limits on how they can end up.

I think both are really really good series but I was more entertained by Breaking Bad. And I feel that Better Call Saul just made the first really unbelievable character development mistake in the season finale and that taints it for me.

I'm gonna love it then.:banderas: I appreciate both of y'all for each breakdown.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Would you care to elaborate?
shyt. Just lost a long-ass answer. Okay, try again:

They didn't earn Werner's death. In 10 seasons of this show they've always earned every single death, it was always completely believable that that person would kill in that exact moment. Even when the writers purposely shocked us by having Todd kill the kid, we found out over time that Todd was a sociopath who was capable of anything and had no moral limits underneath his friendly exterior.

But we already know how Mike is going to end up. And Mike isn't that kind of killer. EVERY person Mike ever kills is a killer himself, either the crooked cops who murked his son or various shooters for the drug cartels. That's it. He's not an executioner, if he was then at some point in Breaking Bad he would have offed Walter much, much earlier, cause Walter fukked up way more than Werner fukked up.

Here was a guy who avenged his son's death and was just trying to take care of his family. Would he have killed Werner, just a friendly overtalkative engineer who missed his wife, solely to protect Gus? I don't see it. If you say, "Gus would have killed him anyway", nah, Mike could have had Werner on a flight to Germany in no time and Gus don't have no reach in Germany. If you say, "But Gus would have killed Mike if he didn't do that"...based on what? Gus is a scary dude but he's also a careful dude, we haven't seen any evidence that he goes around hunting guys down just to kill them, nor have we seen any evidence that Gus got killers with better skills than Mike anyway. Gus is solely as southwest USA operation, Mike could have just put Werner on a plane, jumped his own ass back to the east coast somewhere (where his own contacts are almost certainly better than Gus's) and had his old dying body stay low for the few little years he had left. Would probably hook up with some crooked cops or another low-level crook and pulled small jobs while he sent money back to his daughter-in-law. Gus is too careful, since he knows Werner i gone and he knows Mike ain't gonna talk, he isn't gonna put his own neck out there doing something stupid solely because Mike ghosted on him.

The showrunners want us to believe Mike would just make an easy decision to off Werner in cold blood like there was no other choice. But we have like 6 seasons of Mike to know that he ain't like that, and there were other choices. An old dude like Mike ain't gonna kill a family man with his life still ahead of him like Werner unless Werner really deserved it, and Werner was clearly just fukking naive, he wasn't a bad guy. Werner died way to easy and they didn't earn it. I love these shows and this is literally the only plot point I've ever criticized them on.

CROM

Pray. I will not listen, but I will laugh at you
Daps
Reppin
Valhalla

Great breakdown of the show, and I largely agree with you...but what was the ‘unbelievable character development mistake’ you referenced? Not remembering anything outside of the stuff with Kim, but I haven’t revisited it since the last season.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just read your spoiler

CROM

Pray. I will not listen, but I will laugh at you
Daps
Reppin
Valhalla

They didn't earn Werner's death. In 10 seasons of this show they've always earned every single death, it was always completely believable that that person would kill in that exact moment. Even when the writers purposely shocked us by having Todd kill the kid, we found out over time that Todd was a sociopath who was capable of anything and had no moral limits underneath his friendly exterior.

But we already know how Mike is going to end up. And Mike isn't that kind of killer. EVERY person Mike ever kills is a killer himself, either the crooked cops who murked his son or various shooters for the drug cartels. That's it. He's not an executioner, if he was then at some point in Breaking Bad he would have offed Walter much, much earlier, cause Walter fukked up way more than Werner fukked up.

Here was a guy who avenged his son's death and was just trying to take care of his family. Would he have killed Werner, just a friendly overtalkative engineer who missed his wife, solely to protect Gus? I don't see it. If you say, "Gus would have killed him anyway", nah, Mike could have had Werner on a flight to Germany in no time and Gus don't have no reach in Germany. If you say, "But Gus would have killed Mike if he didn't do that"...based on what? Gus is a scary dude but he's also a careful dude, we haven't seen any evidence that he goes around hunting guys down just to kill them, nor have we seen any evidence that Gus got killers with better skills than Mike anyway. Gus is solely as southwest USA operation, Mike could have just put Werner on a plane, jumped his own ass back to the east coast somewhere (where his own contacts are almost certainly better than Gus's) and had his old dying body stay low for the few little years he had left. Would probably hook up with some crooked cops or another low-level crook and pulled small jobs while he sent money back to his daughter-in-law. Gus is too careful, since he knows Werner i gone and he knows Mike ain't gonna talk, he isn't gonna put his own neck out there doing something stupid solely because Mike ghosted on him.

The showrunners want us to believe Mike would just make an easy decision to off Werner in cold blood like there was no other choice. But we have like 6 seasons of Mike to know that he ain't like that, and there were other choices. An old dude like Mike ain't gonna kill a family man with his life still ahead of him like Werner unless Werner really deserved it, and Werner was clearly just fukking naive, he wasn't a bad guy. Werner died way to easy and they didn't earn it. I love these shows and this is literally the only plot point I've ever criticized them on.
I see what you’re saying, but
I thought the decision to kill Werner had more to do with him mouthing off about his structural design of the lab to the guys in the bar. Not only was he itching to get back home to his wife, but as you said...he was over talkative...so much so that, out of naivety or hubris, could’ve unknowingly exposed Fring’s plan. I agree that Mike shouldn’t have been the one to do it, but overall, I didn’t have a problem with how this was done.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I see what you’re saying, but
I thought the decision to kill Werner had more to do with him mouthing off about his structural design of the lab to the guys in the bar. Not only was he itching to get back home to his wife, but as you said...he was over talkative...so much so that, out of naivety or hubris, could’ve unknowingly exposed Fring’s plan. I agree that Mike shouldn’t have been the one to do it, but overall, I didn’t have a problem with how this was done.

I basically agree.

I wouldn't mind if Gus or one of his goons had done that shyt. That was their game. But we know Mike too well at this point and that's just not him. Maybe they could have shown some really dark shyt from his past that would lead to that moment but they didn't. Or some sort of massive pressure coming from Gus or other outside pressure that would have absolutely forced his hand so he really felt no other choice. But he treated it like a damn job, people take more time to put down stray dogs than that. Mike actually cares about people and nothing involving the drama of his son's death is gonna turn him into the guy who offs friendly doofus engineers.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Mike had to earn his stripes and protect his family. Do you actually think mike would let Werner escape and go on the run himself and leave his daughter in law and granddaughter behind? Let’s not forget what happened to the kid that killed combo. Mike was no angel himself, he’s killed in the past and it only gets easier after every time.