The Official "Better Call Saul" Season 2 Thread

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
That's two unrelated topics breh.

Despite the American Samoa degree being lame Hamlin clearly would've hired Jimmy if it was up to him....because Hamlin just put his rep on the line to get him a job at Davis & Main.

So, if Chuck framed his argument as "your degree isn't good enough to work here"....ok, cool. He didn't. He flat out told Hamlin to relay the message "we can't hire you" when #1 it wasn't even Hamlin's idea and #2 it was obviously solely because Chuck didn't want him there. Because at the end of the day Chuck is the man at HHM. They can't say no to him.

Now, if you want to argue Jimmy is a screw up who shouldn't work at HHM....fine....but again, Chuck seemed more angry about the fact that Jimmy accomplished as much as he did....with less time and effort....than the prospect of Slipping Jimmy becoming a lawyer.

Fred.
Jimmy didn't accomplish as much as him, a law school is a totally different animal then an online class, I've seen a few posts from lawyers that described the difference if I could find them, which is why I believe he should have said to public defend and then check back in a year or something to Jimmy.
I think it was that the law is his domain, because people may like Jimmy more but he still has this over him.
So Jimmy trying to step into law following Chuck like a sick puppy and even presuming to be on his level with a degree like that and the image Chuck had of him was just incredibly offensive and brought out his insecurities.
So I agree that it was about Chuck's ego which is why I mentioned his ego, just that it's more than that as well.
And he also explicitly fears Jimmy being a lawyer, he wouldn't have reacted that way to the skateboarder bill or ran outside to get the newspaper if he didn't.
Honestly he probably saw that cheap degree and thought oh here's Jimmy getting an easy degree from something of Samoa so he can scam people like he always does.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
I knew jimmy was going to do something stupid to push the plot

show is predicable.

No offense, but EVERYONE who is watching this show knows that Jimmy is always going to do something stupid. The whole point of this show is to see what he does that turns him into Saul. We are here to see the fukkery that gets us from Jimmy to Saul.

Bold prediction: I predict Jimmy will do something else sketchy next episode and possibly something else in a future episode.

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
rhea-seehorn_3456623.jpg

Looking like a young Heather Lockyear

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
That's two unrelated topics breh.

Despite the American Samoa degree being lame Hamlin clearly would've hired Jimmy if it was up to him....because Hamlin just put his rep on the line to get him a job at Davis & Main.

So, if Chuck framed his argument as "your degree isn't good enough to work here"....ok, cool. He didn't. He flat out told Hamlin to relay the message "we can't hire you" when #1 it wasn't even Hamlin's idea and #2 it was obviously solely because Chuck didn't want him there. Because at the end of the day Chuck is the man at HHM. They can't say no to him.

Now, if you want to argue Jimmy is a screw up who shouldn't work at HHM....fine....but again, Chuck seemed more angry about the fact that Jimmy accomplished as much as he did....with less time and effort....than the prospect of Slipping Jimmy becoming a lawyer.

Fred.
Could it simply be that he doesn't trust Jimmy to not use the job to run some sort of con or scam that would put the whole firm at risk seeing that Chuck knows there's always some hustle going on with Jimmy?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Jimmy didn't accomplish as much as him, a law school is a totally different animal then an online class, I've seen a few posts from lawyers that described the difference if I could find them, which is why I believe he should have said to public defend and then check back in a year or something to Jimmy.
I think it was that the law is his domain, because people may like Jimmy more but he still has this over him.
So Jimmy trying to step into law following Chuck like a sick puppy and even presuming to be on his level with a degree like that and the image Chuck had of him was just incredibly offensive and brought out his insecurities.
So I agree that it was about Chuck's ego which is why I mentioned his ego, just that it's more than that as well.
And he also explicitly fears Jimmy being a lawyer, he wouldn't have reacted that way to the skateboarder bill or ran outside to get the newspaper if he didn't.
Honestly he probably saw that cheap degree and thought oh here's Jimmy getting an easy degree from something of Samoa so he can scam people like he always does.

I mean relatively speaking. Chuck is a partner and Jimmy would just be working at HHM but if you compare the effort put in vs the end result it's insane that Jimmy would even be working at the same place as Chuck. Which is why he got so angry. But :manny: life ain't fair.

That's why people don't like Chuck. It's the insecurity. Jimmy is a fukk up but Chuck sabotaged him the very first time he tried to go legit, basically due to pride.

Fred.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
I mean relatively speaking. Chuck is a partner and Jimmy would just be working at HHM but if you compare the effort put in vs the end result it's insane that Jimmy would even be working at the same place as Chuck. Which is why he got so angry. But :manny: life ain't fair.

That's why people don't like Chuck. It's the insecurity. Jimmy is a fukk up but Chuck sabotaged him the very first time he tried to go legit, basically due to pride.

Fred.
I see that, but then people go and try to argue about how Chuck is the source of all of Jimmy's problems going back to his childhood and blame him for Saul, but don't afford Chuck the same look in terms of how Jimmy's been his entire life which Chicky has been influenced by.
Honestly I think that comment from Jimmy about why he stopped playing the guitar is the essence of what he always does.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was with you until this part right here.

Jimmy is a grown man so I'm not hanging any of his faults on Chuck. But if Chuck doesn't keep Jimmy from getting a job at HHM back in his mail room days, who's to say how his life turns out?

Fred.

That's not entirely true. Chuck did what he did because he knew Jimmy would do like what he's currently been doing. Jimmy does things habitually unethical without thinking the repercussions of them. Chuck was trying to protect his own business and someone like Jimmy can bring that entire company down due to his reckless and at time short cut ways. This episode alone had nothing to do with Chuck. Jimmy was soliciting people, sending tapes without permission, lying about it. And not really understanding why the things he's doing are unethical and almost criminal. Chuck KNEW that Jimmy have not nor ever will change, no matter how much Jimmy lies to himself in saying he will.

It's the same kind of parallel with Walter White and Heisenberg. Heisenberg didn't just emerge, he was always though waiting to come out and take over, and no matter how much Walt tries to suppress it, he eventually consumes himself to become that alter-ego. That is what going on with Jimmy, Saul is trying to creep in and consume him and no matter how much Jimmy tries to suppress, he will always fall back to his true nature. Even the flash forwards scenes hint to that temptation of being Saul.

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I doubt they'll introduce Gus any time soon. He's too strong a character, he'd steal the show.

Fred.

Did you feel like they were teasing us with the whole "there's someone who wants you specifically" "there's big money involved" I was low key thinking it was Gus... But its wayyyyyyy too early to have him on the show

I felt the writers were teasing us right there, because they know that episode where Mike meets Gus is gonna be some of the GOAT scenes in this show

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Did you feel like they were teasing us with the whole "there's someone who wants you specifically" "there's big money involved" I was low key thinking it was Gus... But its wayyyyyyy too early to have him on the show

I felt the writers were teasing us right there, because they know that episode where Mike meets Gus is gonna be some of the GOAT scenes in this show

In hindsight I don't think they intentionally did that but I threw all logic out the window and was like :krs: "GUS!"

But like you said it's too early. I wasn't expecting Nacho. I'm kinda confused what that scene is about. Because Nacho barely knows Mike so why would he step to him on some hit-man shyt? And who would he want dead? My first guess is Tuco but he obviously doesn't die any time soon.

I'm sure there's something we're over looking though.

Fred.

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
In hindsight I don't think they intentionally did that but I threw all logic out the window and was like :krs: "GUS!"

But like you said it's too early. I wasn't expecting Nacho. I'm kinda confused what that scene is about. Because Nacho barely knows Mike so why would he step to him on some hit-man shyt? And who would he want dead? My first guess is Tuco but he obviously doesn't die any time soon.

I'm sure there's something we're over looking though.

Fred.
I think for a second every single person watching thought and wanted it to be Gus. Once you take away the emotional side of it though it was never going to be Gus. Not this early. Mike doesn't have a name in the Albuquerque streets yet. He's going to have to build up his rep with low level dealers to get to the the boss.

Clearly Nacho doesn't know Mike at all, but he's seen how his brain works dealing with Daniel "Playuh." He's seen that Mike is by the book in everything he does. Mike has the brains that everyone (especially drug dealers) need in their corner.

Should be interesting to see what Nacho has in store for him. Doubt it has anything to do with Tuco as we know Tuco is around later down the line. It could even be one of Nacho's own guys doing some side business. Makes sense for Nacho to ask Mike for help if his own crew isn't around to help.

Hopefully Mike puts in some work.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I think for a second every single person watching thought and wanted it to be Gus. Once you take away the emotional side of it though it was never going to be Gus. Not this early. Mike doesn't have a name in the Albuquerque streets yet. He's going to have to build up his rep with low level dealers to get to the the boss.

Clearly Nacho doesn't know Mike at all, but he's seen how his brain works dealing with Daniel "Playuh." He's seen that Mike is by the book in everything he does. Mike has the brains that everyone (especially drug dealers) need in their corner.

Should be interesting to see what Nacho has in store for him. Doubt it has anything to do with Tuco as we know Tuco is around later down the line. It could even be one of Nacho's own guys doing some side business. Makes sense for Nacho to ask Mike for help if his own crew isn't around to help.

Hopefully Mike puts in some work.

In the promo for next week's ep he's buying a sniper rifle from the same weapons dealer that sold Walt a 38. and the M-60. Also the actor got interviewed and summed up Mike's arc this season in one word: "violence".

Fred.

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
Chuck must go

I think next episode is going to be the "no turning back now" point for Jimmy. Maybe his last episode as Jimmy. Same with Mike.

Get ready :ohlawd: