The Official "Better Call Saul" Season 1 Thread

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ehh: that could be it
I mean it was him losing it over the fact that a stupid prank left him indebted to the brother he looked up to and for 10 years did everything possible to please him, make him proud, even taking care of him for the past year, only to find out that his big brother thinks he ain't shyt.

He said fukk it, went back to Cicero, kicked it with his boy, Slippin Jimmy/Saul came back and now he's comfortable. He's never going to let trying to impress someone control his decision making.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't understand the beef with the bingo scene. That's his Emmy nomination, guaranteed.

The only scene I thought could've been shorter was the coin scam. They could've shaved a couple minutes off that.

Fred.
I'll be honest this episode was kind of flat to me, I get the point that slipping jimmy is the real him but him turning bad at the end Ehh I would of preferred him try to be the big shot lawyer and realize it wasnt him. I been disgesting the episode and im definitely not as excited for season 2 as I was after episode 9

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:patrice:

Eh....can't say I agree with that comparison.

"BB" and "Weeds" had their protagonists committing multiple felonies from jump street. Jimmy is just a struggling lawyer for most of the season. So right out the gate we're talking about two wildly different definitions of what "stakes" are in the context of the show. It would be like comparing "Mad Men" and "Dexter".

"BCS" is like "BB" season 0, if it showed Walt losing Gretchen, Grey Matter, and struggling for years in mediocrity before he chooses to break bad.

Some people would love that season, some people would find it boring. I personally like it despite my criticism, because we know what Jimmy eventually becomes.

Fred.
Im interested in what your criticism was of this season

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'll be honest this episode was kind of flat to me, I get the point that slipping jimmy is the real him but him turning bad at the end Ehh I would of preferred him try to be the big shot lawyer and realize it wasnt him. I been disgesting the episode and im definitely not as excited for season 2 as I was after episode 9

He's been trying to be a big shot lawyer for 10 years though.

Hell, thematically this fits perfectly with "Breaking Bad", too. Walt was given a chance to work at Grey Matter, turned it down because things had to be his way.

This episode was a little like "Grey Matter". It's the episode where the hero has an opportunity to go legit and survive, but pride and the desire to not give in to the person who "wronged" him causes the hero to recommit himself to crime.

Exactly. Just said the same thing. :salute:

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Im interested in what your criticism was of this season

Gave it a page ago:

http://www.thecoli.com/posts/12904765/

Over all I'd give the first season a B+. I got a couple minor problems with it:

1. I dunno what the writers intention was for this season, maybe they'll give an outline in an interview. But if it was intended to be a self-contained intro about the story of Jimmy McGill and the subsequent rise of Saul, it's basically flawless. You could never watch another episode of this show, and it would still perfectly capture the transformation.

The problem is, there's no reason to plot a season like that. This show came out the gate with 23 episodes guaranteed, and it's virtually impossible for it to get cancelled. It's critically acclaimed, routinely in the 1-5 spots for ratings, and has early award show buzz. They could've basically done whatever the fukk they wanted, so from that point of view the finale is kinda :dwillhuh: creatively speaking.

Which is fine if season 2 is wall to wall fukkery....but we have no way of knowing that yet.

2. Some people say Mike is the best part of the show....and he's great....but for a show about Saul, not Mike, his scenes outline my second problem. Right now they have a lot of ingredients that work separate from Jimmy, but so far they haven't been incorporated into his story in any meaningful way. Hamlin, Kim and Chuck were utilized fairly well....but Mike had an entire episode where Jimmy appeared for 5 minutes. I know people are :blessed:over that episode but we know Mike/Saul eventually team up, and this season did very little to further that arc.

And Nacho was billed as a main character, he's in 4 episodes. :mjlol:

I dunno how they're going to make a show with Jimmy as Saul, with Mike/Saul as a team, with Nacho as a factor....with Chuck, Hamlin and Kim still viable to the plot. Which is what happened this season, but in reverse. Mike and Nacho wouldn't fit in most of the scenes, so they weren't in most of the scenes.

Anyway, I'm rambling, and this is based on what I've seen of season 1. They knew they had 2 seasons early....and there is certain things I read that didn't appear in this season....so that leads me to believe they might've mapped out most or parts of 23 episodes and we've only seen a small part of the bigger picture.

Fred.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's been trying to be a big shot lawyer for 10 years though.

Hell, thematically this fits perfectly with "Breaking Bad", too. Walt was given a chance to work at Grey Matter, turned it down because things had to be his way.

Exactly. Just said the same thing. :salute:

Fred.
But he never got to see how it was to be a big shot lawyer . The difference with gray matter was we didn't know what happened at the time so we weren't sure if walt was justified in his position , jimmy it's more like a addict gets straight and clean has a traumatic experience relapses and then is like why'd I ever quit ! I loved literally the whole season but idk im not loving that ending , I know im not the creator but it's like I would of had my previous suggestion or just have Howard offer him to assist on presenting a motion or something before the judge since the clients loved him but him be offended by that

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ohhh ok and you actually managed to express my frustration with the end , it felt like a miniseries like this is how he became saul !!!! But it's like wait there is a season two :patrice: you think maybe any pressure or criticism made them get to the fukkery a bit quicker ? It was just oddly paced I guess. I think there was a lot more good jimmy episodes to do

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
But he never got to see how it was to be a big shot lawyer . The difference with gray matter was we didn't know what happened at the time so we weren't sure if walt was justified in his position , jimmy it's more like a addict gets straight and clean has a traumatic experience relapses and then is like why'd I ever quit ! I loved literally the whole season but idk im not loving that ending , I know im not the creator but it's like I would of had my previous suggestion or just have Howard offer him to assist on presenting a motion or something before the judge since the clients loved him but him be offended by that

I mean if you ain't feeling it :manny: it's all good. It's just opinions breh.

It worked for me because he's spent the last 10 years chasing this dream to impress Chuck....and he finds out Chuck don't even think he should be a lawyer. The bingo rant he even says "I've been paying for it ever since, that's why I'm here".

10 years ago, fresh out of jail the mature, adult, "right" thing to do would be stop the fukkery....grow up, like he told Marco in the first scene....but it's ironic because that turned out to be the wrong decision. He hasn't gained a single thing in 10 years. So at the end of the episode, he decides to go the other route and embrace the fukkery. Trying to do the right thing hasn't given him anything.

To make things worse, his own brother doesn't respect him....meanwhile, he goes to Chicago and gets mad love from a guy he ain't seen in 10 years. He don't ask him for anything, just to hang out. So I took it as, which world does he want to be a part of?

Fred.