The Official "Better Call Saul" Season 1 Thread

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
Only reason I enjoyed this show is because I know where it's heading, and have faith based on BB.
If it was a stand alone series it would be in the bushes :yeshrug:

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Over all I'd give the first season a B+. I got a couple minor problems with it:

1. I dunno what the writers intention was for this season, maybe they'll give an outline in an interview. But if it was intended to be a self-contained intro about the story of Jimmy McGill and the subsequent rise of Saul, it's basically flawless. You could never watch another episode of this show, and it would still perfectly capture the transformation.

The problem is, there's no reason to plot a season like that. This show came out the gate with 23 episodes guaranteed, and it's virtually impossible for it to get cancelled. It's critically acclaimed, routinely in the 1-5 spots for ratings, and has early award show buzz. They could've basically done whatever the fukk they wanted, so from that point of view the finale is kinda :dwillhuh: creatively speaking.

Which is fine if season 2 is wall to wall fukkery....but we have no way of knowing that yet.

2. Some people say Mike is the best part of the show....and he's great....but for a show about Saul, not Mike, his scenes outline my second problem. Right now they have a lot of ingredients that work separate from Jimmy, but so far they haven't been incorporated into his story in any meaningful way. Hamlin, Kim and Chuck were utilized fairly well....but Mike had an entire episode where Jimmy appeared for 5 minutes. I know people are :blessed:over that episode but we know Mike/Saul eventually team up, and this season did very little to further that arc.

And Nacho was billed as a main character, he's in 4 episodes. :mjlol:

I dunno how they're going to make a show with Jimmy as Saul, with Mike/Saul as a team, with Nacho as a factor....with Chuck, Hamlin and Kim still viable to the plot. Which is what happened this season, but in reverse. Mike and Nacho wouldn't fit in most of the scenes, so they weren't in most of the scenes.

Anyway, I'm rambling, and this is based on what I've seen of season 1. They knew they had 2 seasons early....and there is certain things I read that didn't appear in this season....so that leads me to believe they might've mapped out most or parts of 23 episodes and we've only seen a small part of the bigger picture.

Fred.
this.

they put a lot of pressure on themselves for season 2.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

ECA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People mad because they were expecting a full-on crime drama but got a legal drama instead :mjlol:. Knew this was gonna be "Rockford Files" lite from the offset.

• Dap

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
As a BB stan since season 1 started, I :salute: Vince for doing this. It's a piece of the story connected to the BB legacy. :wow:

I can't wait for this show to end (yes, I know it's YEARS away) so I can view BCS and then start BB when I finish this series. The prequel to the feature presentation. :mjcry:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
like most people, the bingo scene kind of lost me. just a bit too stretched out. i loved the episode and season as a whole tho.

i give it 8/10. it did its job, which is to excite me about the next season and what the future holds. mike and saul will be more of a team next year, and im sure nacho will be in it a lot more as the guy that hires mike the most for goon jobs.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
like most people, the bingo scene kind of lost me. just a bit too stretched out. i loved the episode and season as a whole tho.

i give it 8/10. it did its job, which is to excite me about the next season and what the future holds. mike and saul will be more of a team next year, and im sure nacho will be in it a lot more as the guy that hires mike the most for goon jobs.
lol good to see it wasnt just me

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I don't understand the beef with the bingo scene. That's his Emmy nomination, guaranteed.

The only scene I thought could've been shorter was the coin scam. They could've shaved a couple minutes off that.

Fred.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
I don't understand the beef with the bingo scene. That's his Emmy nomination, guaranteed.

The only scene I thought could've been shorter was the coin scam. They could've shaved a couple minutes off that.

Fred.

idk it just kind of felt off to me. so far i have enjoyed literally every single scene about this show but that bingo scene just felt bleh.

• Dap