The Official "Better Call Saul" Season 1 Thread

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
i had a feeling chuck was working against jimmy somehow, or at least, more loyal to howard and HHM than he was his brother. that "youre a chimp with a machine gun" shyt though? Wasnt expecting that

Chuck's power was a double edged sword for the writers.

On one side he's a super lawyer and partner of the biggest law firm in town, on the other side he can't get his brother hired to do anything above be a mailboy? something was off. him personally blocking it was the only thing that made sense.

That chimp with a machine gun line cut deep. shyt was vulgar, especially after all jimmy was doing for him and was showing him he was a competent lawyer.

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Chuck's power was a double edged sword for the writers.

On one side he's a super lawyer and partner of the biggest law firm in town, on the other side he can't get his brother hired to do anything above be a mailboy? something was off. him personally blocking it was the only thing that made sense.

That chimp with a machine gun line cut deep. shyt was vulgar, especially after all jimmy was doing for him and was showing him he was a competent lawyer.
if the other partners dont want jimmy there itd be hard to get jimmy a job, even as his brother. getting a job at a firm after getting ur degree at some shyt online law school would be pure nepotism (and imo chuck wasnt wrong to not get jimmy that job initially).

chuck is your typical boomer who worked hard to get his and thinks jimmy should be doing the same, so it wouldnt have surprised me so much if he had been reluctant to help jimmy work at HHM. it was seeing that chuck looks down on jimmy and has such a negative view of him that really surprised people. other posters are right that if chuck had been more honest and up front from the beginning his behavior would be a lot less contemptible

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
How many times do you think Chuck put Jimmy on the right path in the past before he said enough is enough and you won't make a fool out of me in the flashback to the jail?

The jail flash back was 10 years ago man....I mean, god damn....if what you're saying is true why not just cut Jimmy loose completely? Why feed into his dream of being a lawyer, even giving him legal advice, if he thinks Jimmy being a lawyer is such an abomination?

That's why I'm thinking Chuck is jealous....he was cool with his loser little brother working the mail room....what, he got a law degree now? No big deal, he'll struggle with public defender cases forever. He'll never amount to anything.

But then Jimmy pulls a multi-million dollar case out of his ass....on top of that, this happens while Chuck is basically useless due to his condition....and suddenly Jimmy ain't looking like such a joke. He might be the man....he might be able to "slide into it like a cheap pair of slippers", even though it took Chuck years and his entire life to get to the same point. But life ain't fair. :manny:

Re-watching the scene it's almost as if Chuck was trying to reconcile his image of Jimmy, with the reality of him actually being a competent lawyer. :why: "You're not a real lawyer!"

Fred.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
So far a wait and see for me. I'll know by the end of season 2 the direction this show will go in. And whether it's for me. To me, this is like Kendrick's TPAB album. You had the excitement, commercial success in BB (GKMC). Reaching the general auidence. But this one, they're going in another lane. When they could have easily combined the excitement, adventure of Breaking Bad in this (like they did in the Migo ep). We'll see though.

Daps
Reppin
HAWAII
The jail flash back was 10 years ago man....I mean, god damn....if what you're saying is true why not just cut Jimmy loose completely? Why feed into his dream of being a lawyer, even giving him legal advice, if he thinks Jimmy being a lawyer is such an abomination?

That's why I'm thinking Chuck is jealous....he was cool with his loser little brother working the mail room....what, he got a law degree now? No big deal, he'll struggle with public defender cases forever. He'll never amount to anything.

But then Jimmy pulls a multi-million dollar case out of his ass....on top of that, this happens while Chuck is basically useless due to his condition....and suddenly Jimmy ain't looking like such a joke. He might be the man....he might be able to "slide into it like a cheap pair of slippers", even though it took Chuck years and his entire life to get to the same point. But life ain't fair. :manny:

Re-watching the scene it's almost as if Chuck was trying to reconcile his image of Jimmy, with the reality of him actually being a competent lawyer. :why: "You're not a real lawyer!"

Fred.
This this this! Summed up my thoughts perfectly watching the scene

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
At work, wanting to run back BB but got no idea where i wanna start :bryan:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Piffery

All Star
Daps

Fred.
I prefer your look at it much more than the "he's pure evil and never did anything for Jimmy in his life posts :damn:" I'm seeing elsewhere.
I think it should be mentioned that Chuck has been given just enough suspicious activity by Jimmy to doubt him this season.
He would have found an excuse to go off on him anyways though.

• Dap

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
RICO:

RICO_zps7qvdrgm7.png

Pimento:

Pimento_zpss6ptcdwl.png

Fred.

Nymbus

Great Value Man™
Supporter
Daps
Apparently, we should not expect to see Saul anytime soon.

Thomas Schnauz and Gilligan spoke on the podcast about the fact that the confrontation between Jimmy and Chuck at the end of the episode could have very well been the season finale, and that the show often drops season-finale-type episodes earlier than the end of the season. They also suggest that next week’s “fun” episode will take Jimmy in “new directions,” which suggests that the finale is less about closure to this season and more about setting up next season. Don’t expect to see “Saul” anytime soon.

Number 9 on the list.

LINK

I was hmm, going into this series. But after 9 eps. It is kinda wild to think how far they can take this series.
Yeah I remember a couple years ago I was :whoa: :scust: when they first announced this "spin off" of BB and there were talks of this being more of a "comedy" show consisting of 30 minute episodes set after he became saul goodman
Thank goodness that was just part of the rumor mill:whew:
I wouldn't have even remembered to start it if it weren't for this thread but now we:popcorn::blessed:

• Dap

Propaganda

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Yeah I remember a couple years ago I was :whoa: :scust: when they first announced this "spin off" of BB and there were talks of this being more of a "comedy" show consisting of 30 minute episodes set after he became saul goodman
Thank goodness that was just part of the rumor mill:whew:
I wouldn't have even remembered to start it if it weren't for this thread but now we:popcorn::blessed:

yeah, that's what i was thinking it was gonna be. that's what it sounded like it was gonna be. i would've watched it, too. but this shyt is waaaaaaaaay better.

odenkirk has some fukkin' chops too, man. i didn't know he had it in him but he's been showing that he's another one of the comic actor/writer guys that can turn in dope dramatic performances when need be. i mean, he showed flashes in bb but he's actually carrying a series now...and he's killing it.

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This show is so much better than I imagined it would be. :wow:

I kinda feel bad for hating on Hamlin too, son was willing to take the fall for Chuck. Even if it made him look like a scumbag. Although he still is a bit of a Scumbag :patrice:
Hamlin comes across mad smarmy so fack him anyway tbh :manny: