The Official "Bel-Air" Thread (Season 2 Is Now Airing)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Still haven't started yet.. are the actors as captivating as Will/Alfonso/James Avery?

No but honestly its not “that” type of show where the actors need to get by on charisma and charm. Its really a drama, very few comedic moments. The overall acting and tone is more important and they pretty much nailed it

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw all three episodes. Overall thought it was good, and better than I expected.

First thing that impressed me was the Philly segment, which was my favorite part of the series so far. Having lived in Philly for over a decade, they nailed it. The accents, the slang, the music, locations and the mentality. I could tell some of the writers are either from Philly or did some heavy research. This segment was so good that I kind of wish they dedicated the entire first episode to it and then had Will move in the second episode. But I understand why they had to rush it.

Jabari Banks did a great job and really does come across like a modern Will. He's got the cockiness and impulsiveness but also the charisma and the humor. I did like that he wasn't a complete carbon copy however and he displays a lot more anger than the original Will that I think works for the tone the reboot is going for

The rest of the cast is a mixed bag for me

Loved the new Jazz, he's probably the character who seemed the most similar to their original counterpart.

Aunt Viv was also great. She has a nice mix of the assertiveness of the old Aunt Viv and the sweet natured vibe of the new Aunt Viv

Uncle Phil, I had mixed thoughts on. I thought the show did a good job playing up Uncle Phil being conflicted about his success and wealth while also not wanting to "sell out." But so far I find his character a bit inconsistent and there's a lack of buildup between him clashing with Will to embracing him and fully supporting him

This Hillary is also very different from the original Hillary. She's way more conscious here and also much nicer to Will but I do kind of miss the shallow materialism of the old Hillary. Her vibe in the reboot seemed more like the original Ashley than the original Hillary. Speaking of Ashley, the new one barely has any scenes in the first three episodes so that was disappointing

The new Geoffrey is weird. He's like a badass Black Alfred in this which is cool but I'm still not sure what exactly he does in the house lol. His personality is pretty bland and I miss the wisecracks of the original Geoffrey.

Carlton I think suffers the most from the new tone of the series. The old Carlton started out arrogant and a bit of an a$$hole but because of the sitcom tone, he was still fun to watch just because of how funny he was as a character. With the reboot, he retains some of those same traits but the more dramatic depiction amplifies those traits and instead of a funny arrogant a$$hole he's just a straight up arrogant a$$hole, and it's hard to feel any sort of sympathy for him in this version even though the show tries (the academic pressure, the drug use, being the token Black guy at the school and his jealousy of Will)

That also plays into the reboot's dramatic tone being both a strength and a weakness. When it comes to the darker elements of the original sitcom (violence in Philly leading to Will moving to Bel-Air, Black identity, the struggle of the Black upper class to celebrate their success while also dealing with feelings of guilt over it) the reboot definitely does a great job. But the sillier aspects that work perfectly for a 90's sitcom don't work all that well in a drama series (the Banks family being cartoonishly rich, Carlton's character, Geoffrey's character, Will's fish out of water act) Hoping as the series goes on it can do a better job of balancing the tone by either upping the humor or playing down some of the sillier plot elements

But yeah, all in all, I was pleasantly surprised by the show and it was far better than what I expected. I'll keep watching.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Starting now. Acting and stuff is cool. How they remade his reason to come to Bel Air is cool as well. My main fear is he's not street smart like Will. Will would never do the dumb stuff this kid did in philly.

Last edited:

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
This Hillary is too black (personality not :mjpls:). Look wise shes:noah:

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
Y'all thought the OG Fresh Prince was trying to send a message, wait until you see this. I have a feeling this will take over social media once it gets out, they are definitely going to put shyt out to the masses.

Last edited: