The Official "Bel-Air" Thread (Season 2 Is Now Airing)

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I will give it a shot but I feel in my heart of hearts this is not going to work out.

For one the concept has been run to the ground. The original FP ended in 1996. We have seen so many takes of this fish out of sea situation. From the OC to now All American. Even some of this trailer reminded me of Stomp the Yard. Again what will this show do that All American does when it isn’t focused on football. There is nothing new under the sun here especially for this show. Considering how most writing today is either a rehash or doubling and tripling down on Twitter talking points, this show will be problematic.

Not to mention, the original was comedic with moments of dramatic aspects. We loved the comedy and the characters stood out bc their personalities worked in comedic contexts. Even the scenarios were comedic and that was the draw. You can convert a drama into a comedy bc the comedy will lend itself to making light or finding the funny/irony in serious situations. I don’t think you can convert a comedy into a drama because the serious tones of drama take away the absurdity and the lightheartedness that comedy lends itself too. I think this show is going to find that out the hard way.

Not to mention the think pieces that will accompany this show in a bad way.

This show wasn’t needed and it’s going to ruin its legacy because of the weight of that legacy and it’s inevitable conformation to todays norms, overly PC culture, finger waving and formulaic storytelling.

I pray to be wrong. I truly do.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I was really, really hoping I could give this a shot but as soon as they veered off into typical escapingyourpast shyt I was over it :snoop: they really did not need to take a property built on comedy and a positive situation that occasionally reached out for serious topics to make it a full on drama

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I'll check it out but I'm keeping expectations very low

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The original FP ended in 1996. We have seen so many takes of this fish out of sea situation. From the OC to now All American. Even some of this trailer reminded me of Stomp the Yard.
I mean, FP wasn't the first do do a fish out of water storyline.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean, FP wasn't the first do do a fish out of water storyline.
I didn’t say it was the first. But it’s been done many times and with a very similar premise to FP since then. Like I said FP ended in 1996, there have been many iterations of this premise in the last 25 years but the execution in which FP did it, the cast, even to how FP was formulated based on the behind the scenes stories is like catching lightening in a bottle.