Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

dutchie

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Caffeine is a startup company, most companies don't turn profits for years, sometimes decades. That's why you need a shyt ton of money to run a business, which they pretty much got from investors. They got 100 Million from Fox, and money from Cox Enterprises and Sanabil Investments. Kevin Durant is invested in them too. They got close to 300 Million in total in investments. They only been really around for 2 years as a fully operating company. I don't see them eliminating literally the only entity that's generating them views. I don't believe they've come up with a system yet that makes them any profits. They don't have ad-revenue, they don't have a subscription service, they don't have merchandise. Only thing I see you can really pay for on their site is by buying props for their broadcasters.

I think sooner or later, Caffeine is gonna have to add a subscription service or ad-revenue. For now, I think they're trying to build a big enough audience to come watch them. URL been keeping them afloat doing it, which is why they have to keep pumping out content. So while URL isn't making them any money yet, the pay outs to fund URL events is just the cost of doing business to gain a following. And since all of the URL/Caffeine events are pretty much produced all in-house (Caffeine camera crew, caffeine studios, caffeine staff who are already salaried probably)...they save a lot of money. The only thing they spend a lot on is battlers. Which is nothing to them. Even if they spend 300K-500K for big events, and around 50-100K to the smaller cards like Super Fight, that's nothing for Caffeine.

If I was Caffeine, I'd worry about URL going elsewhere more than vice versa. There's been a few big conglomerates who have shown interest in purchasing the brand.

Appreciate the breakdown breh, makes sense!

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Damn I would hate URL selling to Caffeine though, its like every business in this system gotta eventually sell out to some company with more money. they already adding gay rappers and white boys, imagine when its caffeine actually controlling shyt

THIS

Not going to lie this card looks fire. I guess this is the new KOTD?

The first and the last two do not scream "fire" to me, and Mackk Myron is catching a body.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps

Dope. No Jumper as a sponsor? Dope look. I guess they were able to make that happen after Geechi did that interview. But wait. Who is Aczino? Is this another situation where Diz battles someone from a foreign country with a crazy following over there that get the battles views? I’m not opposed to it because it’s smart and I know Diz can battle in a different language or two.

Ardamus

Daps
Not going to lie this card looks fire. I guess this is the new KOTD?

Lush is leaving KOTD apparently. Not sure what this is. It might the West Coast (or as they call it Fresh Coast) trying to go back to what they were when they had the bunker.

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Dope. No Jumper as a sponsor? Dope look. I guess they were able to make that happen after Geechi did that interview. But wait. Who is Aczino? Is this another situation where Diz battles someone from a foreign country with a crazy following over there that get the battles views? I’m not opposed to it because it’s smart and I know Diz can battle in a different language or two.

Yea dude got 500k+ followers on twitter and 4 mill on instagram. nikka got battles with 40/50 million views and shyt

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn I would hate URL selling to Caffeine though, its like every business in this system gotta eventually sell out to some company with more money. they already adding gay rappers and white boys, imagine when its caffeine actually controlling shyt

On the one hand it sucks a black owned/ran business would sell itself to whitey, on the other hand it makes a lot of sense legally and financially for smack and beasley.

Ardamus

Daps
Yea dude got 500k+ followers on twitter and 4 mill on instagram. nikka got battles with 40/50 million views and shyt

yep. saw he had a battle from 2 years ago with 53 million views. damn.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lush is leaving KOTD apparently. Not sure what this is. It might the West Coast (or as they call it Fresh Coast) trying to go back to what they were when they had the bunker.

I’m sure he’ll be back lol.

I agree, I prefer it stay black owned. They would definitely need to keep Smack, Beasley, and Chico.

The URL has always experimented, so guys like J2 and Burruss would get an opportunity regardless. History shows these guys don’t last long either.

The beauty of battle rap is that you have to cater to the black audience in order for it to be successful & sustainable. If attempting to please everyone worked, then obviously KOTD would have the top spot.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

They couldn’t come up with another name? GTX? Seems too grind time ish. The URL has their rival in their lane which is RBE.

I want to see KOTD have some competition in their lane. KOTD has dropped the ball, the same way QOTR dropped the ball in their lane.

I welcome leagues like GTX & Chrome 23 to push these leagues or get them out of there.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They couldn’t come up with another name? GTX? Seems too grind time ish. The URL has their rival in their lane which is RBE.

I want to see KOTD have some competition in their lane. KOTD has dropped the ball, the same way QOTR dropped the ball in their lane.

I welcome leagues like GTX & Chrome 23 to push these leagues or get them out of there.

You know I didn't even think of that :ohhh: GTX and Chrome 23 aren't exactly competing with URL...RBE is URL's top opp when it comes to street style male battle rap. GTX and Chrome 23 are more likely to get KOTD and QOTR outta here if the latter don't step their game up.

Though hm, I see Chrome 23 and QOTR ending up depending on URL in some way. URL already carries QOTR like the NBA carries WNBA. Chrome 23 though...I guess it could still be it on' thing but I see Remy linking up with SMACK somehow, which I guess results in QOTR and Chrome23 still competing :mjlol:

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
She wasn’t cheating on Mike P, from what we know. Mike easily could have easily diffused this angle when it was first brought up but his original reaction to it is gonna keep this around forever.
Somebody you have to see on occasion that hit your girl is an L
Yes people have a sexual history
But to have to see dudes your girl hit at events is OD