Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Surf earned it by being the biggest active fan attraction in battle rap. Whether you like him or not Surf is the Rock to Hitman's Stone Cold in the URL era. Surf is the biggest draw on URL that currently battles.

This isn't 2003. Battle rap is a full blown business. You don't get a feature with Hov or Nas (Which Lux would be in battle rap terms), just because you had some fire verses on 38 Spesh's mixtape. That's not how this works. Regardless if you could out rap Hov or Nas, that doesn't matter. You gotta build your name up to get those looks.

Lux is 36 not 23. I'm sure a part of him would battle more for rec, but he knows this is a business and you have to protect your brand. That's why he gets 50K+ a battle and doesn't have to come outside but once a year, while JC has to battle 15 times to get that.

Its unfortunate this has to even be explained.

Lux - one of the biggest draws in battle rap. Only returns for the best look at the time.
JC - Mid tier battler, battles frequently, which allows for slipups

@MisterMajesty
The way both guys conduct business isn’t conducive to making a battle happen. Lux isn’t willing to battle a mid tier that’s cold in terms of buzz. JC isn’t willing to sit whenever his name is on fire.

I don’t really see how anyone can be mad.

Last edited:

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Chilla is the only mid tier “pen” nygga making the right moves to land the Lux battle. He’s taking the right battles, winning them, and I believe he would be willing to sit as well. His only issue is that the fans don’t gravitate to him the way they do to JC or Rum. If JC or Rum made the right moves, I think they could realistically land the battle.

Daylyt pretty much has the battle, but he’s top tier obviously. As much as he probably wants to battle Rum & Shine, he’ll probably just wait until after the Lux battle.

I was going to make a post about how Chilla might be the only pen guy left who fits the pen guy stigma. There needs to be more to keep the fans engaged once the battle is over. Good or bad there are moments where
it feels like everyone is talking about JC, or everyone is talking about Rum Nitty, or Daylyt, or Danny Myers, or B-Dot or even new guys like A Ward & Kid Chaos. It's hard to have a spirited discussion about Chilla.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This nikka is hilarious :dead::dead::dead:

He got that feminine energy, lol, all that sassy yappin. All he was missing was

tenor.gif

He shoulda just banged it on her and threw out a "Foh, we aint doin all that, fukk you think you talkin to? She drunk or sumn" and kept it movin.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
Surf earned it by being the biggest active fan attraction in battle rap. Whether you like him or not Surf is the Rock to Hitman's Stone Cold in the URL era. Surf is the biggest draw on URL that currently battles.

This isn't 2003. Battle rap is a full blown business. You don't get a feature with Hov or Nas (Which Lux would be in battle rap terms), just because you had some fire verses on 38 Spesh's mixtape. That's not how this works. Regardless if you could out rap Hov or Nas, that doesn't matter. You gotta build your name up to get those looks.

Lux is 36 not 23. I'm sure a part of him would battle more for rec, but he knows this is a business and you have to protect your brand. That's why he gets 50K+ a battle and doesn't have to come outside but once a year, while JC has to battle 15 times to get that.

No, I get it. Problem is, none of this benefits me as a fan. Surf being "the rock" in battle rap, as opposed to being another battler is why he was able to CHOKE his way to lux, and fukk up a classic in Surf Vs Nitty. Which is also the same reason why we only see Lux once a year also,shyt if im being real, its why Drugz is out here failing UPWARDS, same with Chess. I get it, it's a business. But it ain't a business that particularly benefits me. I ain't getting none of that 50k, and i'm paying for the app, as little as it is. I'm just mostly tired of what is effectively "the politics" of this shyt and I just want to see Lux rap more often, and not see shyt like drugs losing an being on every card, chess choking his way through life, NJT Recycle-gate. Especially when I've seen URL get people OUT of here for far less.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
No, I get it. Problem is, none of this benefits me as a fan. Surf being "the rock" in battle rap, as opposed to being another battler is why he was able to CHOKE his way to lux, and fukk up a classic in Surf Vs Nitty. Which is also the same reason why we only see Lux once a year also,shyt if im being real, its why Drugz is out here failing UPWARDS, same with Chess. I get it, it's a business. But it ain't a business that particularly benefits me. I ain't getting none of that 50k, and i'm paying for the app, as little as it is. I'm just mostly tired of what is effectively "the politics" of this shyt and I just want to see Lux rap more often, and not see shyt like drugs losing an being on every card, chess choking his way through life, NJT Recycle-gate. Especially when I've seen URL get people OUT of here for far less.
I understand, as a fan, you don't care. You just want fire battles, and I get it.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
I understand, as a fan, you don't care. You just want fire battles, and I get it.

It's not even just that I don't care, its what I call an "aggressive indifference" I'm not to the point of where I'm bout to make 5 blogs angryfans style, but I do find it irritating. It became a business, but it got a whole lot less professional. Chess choked against b magic and got...K Shine. In his prime nonetheless. I don't even think you can do that in rap itself. Who has flopped 2 or 3 projects an still been around? Mobb Deep lost to Jay and it took them YEARS to recover, Meek had to go to jail to even get taken seriously again.

JC is on a winning streak atm and just got told he won't ever get to battle someone who is in my eyes, the best to ever do it. Meanwhile the guy he wants to battle, literally shat on a stage (one battle shouldn't suddenly make up for this)

I get that it's about drawing heat to you, the excitement has got to be there. But after a while it just starts to look like have (been on beasley couch) and have nots imo