Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

H. Selassie

Black Royalty
Daps
Yep. He's literally built his career on the idea that he's never lost, and it's earned him over a hundred thousand dollars. Mook wouldn't be able to make the financial demands he does today without continually pushing the idea that he was undefeated, when in reality he was involved in as many debatable battles as anyone.

One battle rap blogger (forget who) called Mook “Jerry West” and I thought it was spot on. He’s the logo for battle rap...was in a bunch of early classic battles that were crucial to the foundation of the sport..but lowkey lost most of them joints (i.e. Jerry West only winning 1 ring out of 9 Finals trips).

mvp_status

Superstar
Daps
Clips, Shine, Geechi, Surf

4 guys you’d have to put a gun to in order to get to say they lost a battle. Being that they aren’t judged, I’d never say I lost either

Arsonal is the king of that shyt. All those people you mentioned will admit when someone got a round off them at the very least.

To this day Ars will tell you that he 30'd Hitman lol

superchoops

Superstar
Daps
I missed the live stream but was it that bad? None of them worth watching?

This event had that Summer Impact Reloaded energy to it where something the whole night felt...off

I personally dont think any of the battles were worth rewatching. Weird shyt like an unprepared Pat Stay, a stumbly B-Dot occurred, combined with a spaced out venue where dudes are rapping what appears to be 20 feet in front of a crowd just didnt seem good. sidenote: i hate these "outdoor" events so far

The battles themselves aren't outright TERRIBLE, they just aren't really memorable to me. Card definitely needed that Eazy and T-Top battle to pick up the energy.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
He's right. What do you actually gain from saying you lost?? Hell, that's really a life lesson. There's almost never a gain from announcing your Ls in the moment; the ONLY way your can make your Ls seem like a win is after your career is done, or after you've leveled up, and you can talk about how you went through that loss and it made you this great warrior. That's essentially how Roc's first loss to Clips is looked at (or at least how it was looked at while Roc was on his run).
Especially since it's an opinionated sport. There are no facts, unless someone just chokes at least two of the three rounds, it's literally all preference.

That's why I hate NBA comparisons, only because if a ball goes in the hoop, for a fact, you scored. In battle rap, you say a punchline, to some people it hit, to others it was trash, to others it was "straight", and so on and so forth. It's all subjective.

superchoops

Superstar
Daps
Especially since it's an opinionated sport. There are no facts, unless someone just chokes at least two of the three rounds, it's literally all preference.

That's why I hate NBA comparisons, only because if a ball goes in the hoop, for a fact, you scored. In battle rap, you say a punchline, to some people it hit, to others it was trash, to others it was "straight", and so on and so forth. It's all subjective.

Additionally, one person can lose and their stock will still raise. People will walk away from that Lu Castro vs DNA performance and think that dude is someone to watch. Eazy arguably lost to Fonz and his stock is skyrocketing.

Also, Chaos vs Saga for BL11

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's right. What do you actually gain from saying you lost?? Hell, that's really a life lesson. There's almost never a gain from announcing your Ls in the moment; the ONLY way your can make your Ls seem like a win is after your career is done, or after you've leveled up, and you can talk about how you went through that loss and it made you this great warrior. That's essentially how Roc's first loss to Clips is looked at (or at least how it was looked at while Roc was on his run).
I think the only thing you gain is some respect from people who actually care about decorum and being gracious and shyt like that. To me, the dudes who say they won and they obviously lost are corny, like it makes them look less credible. I respected how B Dot carried it with Chilla, he genuinely felt disappointed in himself so he couldn't even front like he felt like he won. When you lose like that you really don't "lose" anything from a loss.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think the only thing you gain is some respect from people who actually care about decorum and being gracious and shyt like that. To me, the dudes who say they won and they obviously lost are corny, like it makes them look less credible. I respected how B Dot carried it with Chilla, he genuinely felt disappointed in himself so he couldn't even front like he felt like he won. When you lose like that you really don't "lose" anything from a loss.
Yeah but that "respect" literally gets you nowhere lol. Somebody respecting your being a loser still would make you a loser.

H. Selassie

Black Royalty
Daps
What do we want more...Lyt/Shine or Lyt/Lux? Lyt and Shine are on the same page with making their battle happen...