Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Daps
Reppin
the land of oochie wally AND one mic
How long has Roc openly discussed battling O’fficial?

Because I posted this back in January of this year:

Random but not really.

Had a dream recently where O’fficial was arguing with Roc on social media. Basically saying she’d destroy him in a battle.

The back and forth got so heated to the point where they were roasting each other.

Roc said something to the effect of “you look like (random male celeb) with a wig on” - to which someone responded with “ain’t that your type?”

I gotta take a break from this battle shyt. :francis:

And if there were no prior talks about this battle before this post then... :jbhmm:

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
Most KOTD fans are racist in them facebook groups from screen shots I've seen. fukk em :yeshrug:

That’s why I always look at nikkas stanning KOTD sideways.
Their fanbase is flooded with racist cacs, similar to Eminem’s stanbase

Word, I remember when @FreshAIG you mentioned that shyt about the comments on YouTube (I think close to then, I just never really checked out the comments on battles for a while like that til you brought it up). In TalkBack, I was barely in there so I didn't see that shyt. But yeah, once I saw more of ICE, Cortez, Marv, and a few others along with some of the OGs from Grind Time (Illmac, DFD, PH, etc). who I liked were on that platform, I watched KOTD once they took on the West. And having Avocado around was a plus because I was way more into what he did visually. Like the talent that I liked that kept getting on KOTD would either get shytted on by SMACK (Cortez), barely get battles on there (Marv), or not get any battles at all (ICE). That's my take on it. But them confused ass racist fans, fukk em'.

And for the record, Royce >>> EM.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
It’s more about loyalty to me
If Smack built your career and holds you down do the same
League hopping for checks is corny as well
I respect cats for showing loyalty
But Roc should have authority to the point of if he says he doesn't want to battle someone, Smack should respect his wishes. Is it loyalty or stupidity when it's a 1-way street?

Ardamus

Daps
It’s more about loyalty to me
If Smack built your career and holds you down do the same
League hopping for checks is corny as well
I respect cats for showing loyalty

You can be loyal to a company but is the company loyal to you? Think about it. That's always going to be a give and take situation right there.

But Roc should have authority to the point of if he says he doesn't want to battle someone, Smack should respect his wishes. Is it loyalty or stupidity when it's a 1-way street?

He's put in the work and it took him forever to be one of the top guys on the platform. If K-Shine can do it....if DNA can do it...I don't see why Roc can't do the same as well. Maybe he needs to bring in a sponsor and talk about it in the battles, I dunno. But Roc deserves to make those moves. PLUS, he just gave SMACK URL a fukkin' instant classic on Caffeine with Daylyt and this is how he gets rewarded? So backwards.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
This idea of loyalty to battle leagues needs to stop. The only reason URL get away with pushing that narrative is because they’re the biggest and most successful league but honestly this is just a business.

Battle rappers are out here taking battles for chicken strip meals because Smack is “family” and will look out for them later :mjlol:

A lot of these guys need managers and booking agents to handle their negotiations.

Ardamus

Daps
Off topic but see what else Caffeine doing.
This goes back to what I see Mike P is trying to do over there.
As a gamer as well as a battle rapper.
The bag ain't much but I feel like they'll more of this kind of thing later on if they haven't already.

Contest | Caffeine
We're excited to announce the Summer of Games on Caffeine! For the next four weeks, starting August 17th, the community will compete across a variety of different games to claim the title of "Summer of Games 2020 Champion."
Submit your best scores to win up to $1,000 every week. We will select the best of the best to compete in the ultimate championship match, where first place takes $1,500 and a custom Summer of Games trophy!

My thing is this: for as much as these guys mention NBA 2K or Madden, they might as well get in on this shyt while its good and secure a bag in that way. Just sayin'.

Ardamus

Daps
This idea of loyalty to battle leagues needs to stop. The only reason URL get away with pushing that narrative is because they’re the biggest and most successful league but honestly this is just a business.

Battle rappers are out here taking battles for chicken strip meals because Smack is “family” and will look out for them later :mjlol:

A lot of these guys need managers and booking agents to handle their negotiations.

This kinda of goes back to what I was saying with leagues like KOTD and RBE when they give some of the guys some plates who can't work out whatever with SMACK URL business wise. Regardless of who did what, the talent gotta move and the leagues gotta move. These things where the leagues control the talent in very foul ways or the talent get whatever they want when they don't when it comes to the leagues is bullshyt. I'm all for black business but shyt, let's make sure that black business is also good business, too.

ReasonableMatic

Daps

I was sayin battlers need agents in TBZ since back in 2014/2015
Son exposed the FUKK outta TODD

My nikka, have you even WATCHED the video...?
With all due respect. If you don't see the problem with how that contract is constructed I don't know what to tell you breh.

I deal with contracts on the regular and this contract is all kinds of foul.
It's clear as day it wasn't constructed by a lawyer.

A lotta nikkas simply don't know business in this game, I've seen it a lotta times.
I love Battlerap, but the shyt is cringeworthy to a nikka that actually does this shyt in real life.

This looks like some typical "I don't know business, but lemme make a contract to make it look like it" contract

I see the intend, but the execution is all types of fukked up.

nikkas simply refuse to go to a fukkin lawyer to get a contract constructed properly.
Shyt is sad, cause shyt like this is what's wrong with this new emerging industry called battlerap.

To put things in perspective...

1. It states if you're on BullPen you need to get paid $12,500 to battle somewhere else.
nikka HOW?! :russ:
When a lotta toptiers with a fanbase don't even get that.
Now who at BullPen do you ever see getting bigger than Suge when the Hitman vs Suge demand was at its peak without URL. NOBODY.
And Suge wasn't even gettin 12,500

2. JJDD claims he can get you on URL (not written in the contract)
Meanwhile NOBODY at BullPen has been on URL yet.
I wonder why..:ohhh::jbhmm:maybe because SMACK would NEVER pay 12,500 for a new nikka that never touched the URL stage lol

3. Even the number doesn't make sense at all in a contract like that.
Because every battler is different.
For example, Brizz and T Top developed a lot better than DOT. So how could the asking price for Brizz and Top be the same?
It can't, because again.. It doesn't make sense.

An agent negotiates using demand and reason.
What TODD shoulda did is state that BullPen will do the negotiation for the battler.
Which means, if his battlers can get a good look for x amount of dollars (it always depends on demand, budget of the production and buy out if applicable (not just one fee, that's how I know nikkas don't know business in this game)
They'll let them take that x amount and charge their agency fee.

4. TODD thinks he's looking at it from a longterm perspective. But he's not.

The reality is. He's a small business no matter how many ball players go to his event.

The reality is, he DOES need bigger brands like URL in this development stage of BullPen.

And sayin anyone needs to pay 12,500 to book his artists knowing the biggest client he can get (URL) won't do that is contradicting yourself as a manager and ethically wrong to state in contract.

5. Ain't nothing wrong with wanting a cut.
The point is, it's about the business ethics of getting that cut. Which TODD is doing completely wrong.

Anyway, I can go on and on but I think y'all get what I'm sayin.

On some real life shyt, y'all brothers be safe out there
Cause nikkas get finessed outta all kinds of money and put into bad situation because they don't read contracts or go to professionals to handle shyt they don't know about.
Or because they don't think longterm and see the worth of investing in their own life.
Go to professionals and don't get jerked brehs
Naah fam, I'm tryna get some details asap

Brizz and Top also "left" and there were no problems.
So it's prolly deeper than rap with Trez..

What I don't understand is, why doesn't Bloe give his battlers contracts which state
He gets a percentage off every battle they do when they go to URL.
Basically like a motheragency in fashion. He "places" his battlers with URL and gets a percentage off top

It makes so much sense smh
Yup, a contract which states SDH functions as a scout/placement agency.
And places his battlers with other agencies/leagues (URL in this case)

That means, the scout (Bloe) gets a percentage off everything HIS battler does at placed agencies.

Example: Trez battles at URL, Bloe gets 20% (give or take)
But If Trez battles outside of URL, the motheragent.. Smack gets 20%, Bloe gets 5%

This is common in the fashion business..

Ofcourse he gotta put that in CONTRACT, it's a BUSINESS.
Contracts are standard in business, right?
Battlerap as whole (with the exception of a few) just don’t wanna conduct actual business FORREAL and rather stay in this “street” way of doin business with all these vague lines in agreements and commitments. That’s why nikkas are in the state they in. nikkas is lost :manny::mjcry::wow:

Last edited:

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Favors go both ways
I think if he really doesn’t want to do it they would respect it
But they gonna push for it cuz it makes sense

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
This kinda of goes back to what I was saying with leagues like KOTD and RBE when they give some of the guys some plates who can't work out whatever with SMACK URL business wise. Regardless of who did what, the talent gotta move and the leagues gotta move. These things where the leagues control the talent in very foul ways or the talent get whatever they want when they don't when it comes to the leagues is bullshyt. I'm all for black business but shyt, let's make sure that black business is also good business, too.

The problem is that all of the leagues act salty about rappers jumping in between leagues. If you’re going to build talent and want exclusivity to your league then you need to start paying rappers a wage because it genuinely won’t be possible to put them on every card. If I’m talented and my name is buzzing, why would I be ok with sitting on the bench for 9 months because the URL staff haven’t found a “plate” for me.

I was sayin battlers need agents in TBZ since back in 2014/2015

Battlerap as whole (with the exception of a few) just don’t wanna conduct actual business FORREAL and rather stay in this “street” way of doin business with all these vague lines in agreements and commitments. That’s why nikkas are in the state they in. nikkas is lost :manny::mjcry::wow:

It’s crazy. The stakes are completely different now with Caffeine in the picture and there is a potential of millions of dollars to be invested into battle rap so these guys need to be on their Ps and Qs.

Like it has been pointed out, most of these guys still aren’t even registering their material with publishing before rapping and it’s now being broadcasted on global platform :snoop:

If I was a rapper, I would never actually have a conversation with URL staff about contracts and battles. That would all be handled by agent. Daylyt showed that RBE offered him and Nitty 10% of the PPV revenue instead of any payments and Nitty was actually considering it :mjlol: