Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Delicious

The D is for Delicious
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland/Brooklyn
I think Hollow is vastly overrated. He's one of those guys that okay-good at everything, but he's not exceptional at any one thing. Bars are good, not mindblowing. Angles are probably what he's best at, but even those can be done a little sloppily. Rebuttals are good, but there's a bunch of people good at that now. Aggression is cool, but comes off kinda corny at times too. Plus most of his battles aren't really all that. His Lux battle and Pass battle are classic. His performance vs. Big T was great. Other than that, I don't really go back to Hollow battles. They lack replay value. Plus he has a tendency to say cringeworthy lines, with an annoying voice.

He's good but I dunno. Overrated to me.

So I'm with you about 100 on that analysis of Hollow. But reading through it, I don't understand how you can then say Roc is indisputed. Hollow is ok or good in a bunch of categories. Roc is good with aggression, and it's that aggression that sells a pretty weak pen. He's not with the angles, not with the scheming, very basic with the punches, and just flat out screams sometimes. I mentioned the abundance of cringe-worthy bars he lays out when trying to be clever.

As for replay value? I rewatch the second Clips battle (my favorite Roc performance) and maybe the Ill Will joint. Are dudes in here watching Roc battles every month and getting that classic feel?

So my question to you (and anyone putting him as the clear number 1): why?

I know I tried to elicit this same information earlier this year, but nikkas just got snotty and off topic.

noodles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tay Roc is nowhere near the best to me...he hasn't beaten any top opponent until Ars..some love his style so I get it..

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
So I'm with you about 100 on that analysis of Hollow. But reading through it, I don't understand how you can then say Roc is indisputed. Hollow is ok or good in a bunch of categories. Roc is good with aggression, and it's that aggression that sells a pretty weak pen. He's not with the angles, not with the scheming, very basic with the punches, and just flat out screams sometimes. I mentioned the abundance of cringe-worthy bars he lays out when trying to be clever.

As for replay value? I rewatch the second Clips battle (my favorite Roc performance) and maybe the Ill Will joint. Are dudes in here watching Roc battles every month and getting that classic feel?

So my question to you (and anyone putting him as the clear number 1): why?

I know I tried to elicit this same information earlier this year, but nikkas just got snotty and off topic.
He's the best to me because he has great delivery, great believability, good bars, a lot of replay value (Kaboom, O-Red, Magic, Clips, Calico, JC, C3, Ill Will, Ars) and I love his content. How you say something means almost if not more than what you're saying. There's a lot of battlers with great bars but are nowhere because they lack convincibility. I'm not saying he's indisuputably number 1, I'm saying he's my number 1 for what I like to hear. My top 5 are: Roc, JC, Bigg K, Rum Nitty and the 5th is up for grabs but if his performance in the Chess battle is what they say it was then Ave is going to be my 5th. Surf is there too but he been slacking off.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
15289311_10207799480964457_4042886498023159002_o.jpg

Joe Budden heard all about Surf's recent chokes :russ:

That couch about to be available for new talent:lolbron:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So that's what we're puttin stock into :francis:

Ness is corny, dated, raps on a beat in his head, has 2003 type bars. I seriously can't understand for the life of me how anyone could like and support E Ness in 2016 :mindblown:

That one fish-two fish/red fish blue fish nursery rhyme shyt is simply :scust:
Battle rap is suppose to be entertainment

And Ness has bars. I don't know where you getting this one fish two fish shyt from.

Delicious

The D is for Delicious
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland/Brooklyn
Ok let's start campaigning for Dot vs Ness in 3 rounds unlimited at SM6 :francis:
We usually somewhere near on the same page, but I don't see why you got that strong hate for Ness. Dude is entertaining as hell, and his bars are actually not terrible. I won't deny he has a very specific cadence.

Dude is funny. His bars aren't really dated, they just aren't the usual violent battlerap. I was going to say he's probably not made for URL, but he'd probably have the room in stitches at a medium or big event.

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ness style definitely IS dated in my view. That said, not necessarily a bad thing. He's a throwback, plenty of fans fukk with that.

I think his lane is small room RBE/ bunker type joints. Not sure how well it would work on a big stage/ with Summer Madness type crowds, even if bars were on point

To me Ness has a place in today's battle rap scene, just a bit of an acquired taste

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Man yall dont know how much Flip be working, i dont watch all of his videos but im subscribed to him and its :mindblown: how this nikka comes up with new shyt for him to do almost every couple of weeks, i deadass be wondering how the fukk he got all the connects to do the shyt he be doin, gotta salute the goofy nikka :salute:

Idk if anyone posted the full SM6 recap with Smack/Beasley/Norbes

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man yall dont know how much Flip be working, i dont watch all of his videos but im subscribed to him and its :mindblown: how this nikka comes up with new shyt for him to do almost every couple of weeks, i deadass be wondering how the fukk he got all the connects to do the shyt he be doin, gotta salute the goofy nikka :salute:

Flip is annoying, and only tolerable in very small doses. Not about to binge on Queenzflip content

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

He's been in the music industry for a long time and his cousin is Web. If you know who that is...then yeah. That's why nobody really violate Flip like that.

"Call Web and then call Nitty, Queens nikkas in all hoodies
Kidnap and then rob nikkas" - Nicki Minaj

"You screaming Web and Nitty names so you don't get shot" - Joe Budden

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's been in the music industry for a long time and his cousin is Web. If you know who that is...then yeah. That's why nobody really violate Flip like that.

"Call Web and then call Nitty, Queens nikkas in all hoodies
Kidnap and then rob nikkas" - Nicki Minaj

"You screaming Web and Nitty names so you don't get shot" - Joe Budden

Who is Web?