Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
you guys said battle rap can only make money in NYC. So is KOTD losing money in Canada?

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you guys said battle rap can only make money in NYC. So is KOTD losing money in Canada?

They get by based off the PPV sales. Without that, they would still be booking local talent. They have a successful business model, but NO they can't just throw an event and make money off of ticket sales. Have you ever heard of a sold out KOTD event?

I just googled it, Massacre 2 might have been sold out, but that's not in Canada. Massacre 2 was arguably the biggest battle rap card this year, so that makes sense.

Last edited:

Mook

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
They get by based off the PPV sales. Without that, they would still be booking local talent. They have a successful business model, but NO they can't just throw an event and make money off of ticket sales. Have you ever heard of a sold out KOTD event?

Ive nver heard of any sold out event.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ive nver heard of any sold out event.

I just checked. Massacre 2 was sold out, that venue holds about 600 people.

They booked Hollow, Pat Stay, Bigg K, Head Ice, B Magic, Iron Solomon, Math, The Saurus, Danny Myers, Gjonaj, Pass, DNA, Moneybagz, Xcel etc. for a venue that holds 600 people. Pretty clear they are relying on PPV.

Mook

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I just checked. Massacre 2 was sold out, that venue holds about 600 people.

They booked Hollow, Pat Stay, Bigg K, Head Ice, B Magic, Iron Solomon, Math, The Saurus, Danny Myers, Gjonaj, Pass, DNA, Moneybagz, Xcel etc. for a venue that holds 600 people. Pretty clear they are relying on PPV.

:scust: Damn battle rap is on its death bed man.

They desrve it though. Lose venues and continue to book Math brehs :scust:

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
Well, on the flipside of all that you're sayin', KOTD didn't fade away like Voicebox, iBattle, and quite a few other leagues we have heard of. So, let's not get ahead of ourselves and be like they're doing that bad. Think about it, footage from the east coming in from the Massacre events, constantly Fresh Coast battles poppin' off more now that they have the Bunker, and they hold it down in more than one location in Canada. If they took loss, they either bounced back from it somewhat or they broke even. And PPV for KOTD has been their strong suit. I think its given with them because they pushed it more than SMACK/URL when they have done it.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No idea how he lost 50k if people didnt even get paid :patrice:
Listen to Helen and Billy Boondocks break it down. shyt was hilarious :russ:

Vegan catering :russ:

A big ass $10k smoke machine :russ:

Battlers' deposits were $5k :russ:

There's a reason none of the battlers are mad they didn't battle. They always rob these negus.

Mr. Fab we ain't forget. You're the next contestant on that SummerJam screen. :thiscac:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Listen to Helen and Billy Boondocks break it down. shyt was hilarious :russ:

Vegan catering :russ:

A big ass $10k smoke machine :russ:

Battlers' deposits were $5k :russ:

There's a reason none of the battlers are mad they didn't battle. They always rob these negus.

Mr. Fab we ain't forget. You're the next contestant on that SummerJam screen. :thiscac:
5k deposits? :dead: they was eatin good as hell off that clown

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:scust: Damn battle rap is on its death bed man.

They desrve it though. Lose venues and continue to book Math brehs :scust:

?????
Getting a couple thousand people to come to a battle event just isn't going to happen outside of NYC. That doesn't mean battle rap is dying.

KOTD has figured out how to make it work, and is finally investing in their own talent. URL is still the biggest brand but the venue situations really killed their momentum this year. RBE is alive and kicking, I am starting to think Aye Verb vs Bonnie is a decent draw. Bonnie is boring, but the novelty factor of Aye Verb battling a woman is pretty high. Bullpen has established themselves as a legit league.

Personally, I have to see if the "top tiers" show out on the UDUBB & Mistah Fab events before I can make any predictions on the future. Maybe knowing that they can't rely on big Smack cards will force them to step their game up.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well, on the flipside of all that you're sayin', KOTD didn't fade away like Voicebox, iBattle, and quite a few other leagues we have heard of. So, let's not get ahead of ourselves and be like they're doing that bad. Think about it, footage from the east coming in from the Massacre events, constantly Fresh Coast battles poppin' off more now that they have the Bunker, and they hold it down in more than one location in Canada. If they took loss, they either bounced back from it somewhat or they broke even. And PPV for KOTD has been their strong suit. I think its given with them because they pushed it more than SMACK/URL when they have done it.

Yeah, I guess my words may have been misconstrued by some but they aren't doing bad at all. PPV has been part of their business model for years, and that PPV product is usually quality.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
Yeah, I guess my words may have been misconstrued by some but they aren't doing bad at all. PPV has been part of their business model for years, and that PPV product is usually quality.

KOTD took some criticism......like some heavy criticism before they got it right. The merch for certain battle rappers, the PPV, how they will drop a battle to promote a battle rapper's music if they have any.....they all make sure its done right.

And let's keep it a buck.....no one wanted to admit some white Canadian guys are one of the top leagues for a minute with how they've build their brand up anyway. At least muthafukkas who came up watchin' SMACK DVD, Blaze battles, and Fight Klub. I won't lie.....I thought KOTD was pretty bad in the beginning. I think when I saw Kid Twist and a few others, I ran back through so many of the battles they had. Like when Jack Schitt was battling to be the champ and Charron was battling A-Class, LOL. And I saw the development of where they came from til now.

I think I really got into them once they gave people like Marv, ICE, and a few others I wanted to see on URL a chance and a different platform. And with GT folding and them picking up the Fresh Coast was a big move. Can't knock them for what they've achieved.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
Feel you to a degree. Only thing is that AFM, on the media side of things, gets a ton of exclusive shyt when it comes to interviews. I get it that AFM isn't everyone's bag but you can't front on the dude and his team getting the "you hear it first" kind of interviews. He was basically the first person to even get word from the sponsors who canceled the QOTR vs. Fresh Coast. Yeah, the fool was rambling but you got your answer from the person responsible. Just sayin'.I don't think battle rappers would take time out to do half of the shyt AFM does to be real with you. They'd be too busy writing bars and trying to book their next battle.

Lowkey AFR been back on they bull shyt man.
They dropped Wing and brought Posey back giving us classic moments.
The new nikka Tony Bro calling all these battlers out and debating that shyt live on air.
They even given us throwback debates about the golden era.
They had the Jadakiss vs Fab and Dipset vs Rocafella debate last week, shyt was LIT!
nikkas quoting bars left and right, you could tell they're really passionate and knowledgeable about this rap shyt.
And even tho I feel like he drops the ball at moments because he's not articulate. Caps does get the exclusives.
Meanwhile on TWR they brought Jesserican back and all he had to add to the show is his story about the threesome with another dude that asked him to fukk his girl :francis:

It's a Difference, Caps been on his shyt brehs