Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Tix on sale for NOME 6 dated November 20th....

URL is cocky as hell, BL4 just got its wig pushed back with no future date/venue in site only 3 battles that have been announced [unofficially i add] and have the nerve to sell tix for an event that isn't guaranteed at this point and no battles announced. They do not have the trust of the public like that anymore

Delicious

The D is for Delicious
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland/Brooklyn
if Chilla finished his 3rd round, would he have beat Magic?

sidebar: Magic has some of the best reactions to his opponents bars without being overly unprofessional. He was holding his ear, then did the cut across the throat when chilla repeated the line.

This was one of those situations where there was nothing Chilla could do. Magic did everything perfectly in that battle.

I hope you die... when your round done

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
The big URL cards at Irving plaza consistently sell out.

Ever been to one? There's a line around the block by 12pm. And you can barely move around in the venue it's so packed
Yeah those lines used to be crazy. People would be lined up like 9 am

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tix on sale for NOME 6 dated November 20th....

URL is cocky as hell, BL4 just got its wig pushed back with no future date/venue in site only 3 battles that have been announced [unofficially i add] and have the nerve to sell tix for an event that isn't guaranteed at this point and no battles announced. They do not have the trust of the public like that anymore

Yeah they do. There's always going to be a disconnect between the online battle lovers and the people who spend their money on Smack events. The online forums, battle groups & youtube commentators just aren't a good gauge of how the average paying customer feels.

Once you've experienced it from both sides, it's very obvious. If you've ever wondered why URL seems oblivious to "what the fans want", that is part of it. Just like how the online fans like to attribute DNA & Clips being on every card to them knowing the sponsor. The reality is they are crowd pleasers. They both have A1 vocal projection, so those predictable punches and rebuttals sound SO MUCH BETTER in person, especially after a few drinks.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Yeah they do. There's always going to be a disconnect between the online battle lovers and the people who spend their money on Smack events. The online forums, battle groups & youtube commentators just aren't a good gauge of how the average paying customer feels.

Once you've experienced it from both sides, it's very obvious. If you've ever wondered why URL seems oblivious to "what the fans want", that is part of it. Just like how the online fans like to attribute DNA & Clips being on every card to them knowing the sponsor. The reality is they are crowd pleasers. They both have A1 vocal projection, so those predictable punches and rebuttals sound SO MUCH BETTER in person, especially after a few drinks.

Thats fine and all, but you cant complain about not being able to make money outside of NYC. What we see is on youtube is what we know.

BTW just rewatched clips vs roc. Roc definitely won. He was going off.

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That's definitely a fair point.

I thought Clips won in the building against Hollow at NOME for that very reason. Clips just sounded better.

Though I don't necessarily agree about DNA. I think pretty much everybody is tired of seeing him at this point. He's just cannon fodder & he wouldn't be missed if he wasn't on the next few cards. He's nobody's favorite and nobody buys tickets to see him. Smack keeps booking him because he's reliable and probably takes whatever little purse Smack offers him. DNA battles so often, it's obvious there's ZERO negotiating involved to book the guy. Convenience and a low asking price keep DNA in the game, not popular demand.