Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If a twitter spoiler says JC killed it in the building, it's one of the few I won't question

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
Ah thats what Norbes was talking about in Unbias. Makes sense now.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Basically. KOTD would have to build their own stars AND set up shop in NYC for it to even be a real competition. People who don't go to events get stuck on the subscribers thing.... what are the ticket sales looking like? Where is the top talent coming from? Why are KOTD big names coming over to the URL and taking matches with much less experienced guys?

Cause it's two checks you idiot.

Organic got it popping in the West and smack still struggling over there :pachaha:

Ardamus

Daps
Basically. KOTD would have to build their own stars AND set up shop in NYC for it to even be a real competition. People who don't go to events get stuck on the subscribers thing.... what are the ticket sales looking like? Where is the top talent coming from? Why are KOTD big names coming over to the URL and taking matches with much less experienced guys?

20% more is way more....URL consistently get million view battles, KOTD doesn't.

KOTD still relies on 'Smack' rappers to get any meaningful views. It's been this way for the longest, Organik & co run a tighter outfit but the quality battles/battlers still reside at URL

Until KOTD can build stars on their own itll never surpass URL.

Street battle rap drives the culture and URL is the biggest street battle league so they'll always be up there. It has a big enough legacy

All good points made and its true that very few of the original KOTD guys stuck around once the influx of SMACK/URL and ex-Grind Time cats came through. You have Pat Stay, Charron, Bender, Chedda Cheese, and 100 Bulletz, at this point that's around. Grind Time tanking like it did, boosted KOTD once Lush brought in the cats from the Fresh Coast. So guys like Po Rich, Arcane, Kid Twist, Knamelis, Sketch Menace, Aftershock, Bartone, and etc. either chose to fall back from battling altogether, battle here and there but not much, or stay behind the scenes of KOTD.

The one thing KOTD did that I like that SMACK didn't do was utilize some of the talent they neglected. Head ICE is pretty much one of the best and if not the best thing they have at KOTD. They brought in Marv Won when SMACK wasn't even bringing him back to their stage. Gave Gjonaj and Bigg K a place when business with SMACK/URL didn't go right. Everyone else that are like free agents like DNA, Arsonal, and etc. had some of their best matches on the KOTD stage. I say all that to say is that its been a while since they just had someone go thru the ranks of KOTD as developed talent like Charron, Pat Stay, Hollohan, and few others did. Gully is trying with the GZ's by bringing up Shotti P and Pnut (even though if i'm not mistaken, he was in some Grind Time battles originally).

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cause it's two checks you idiot.

Organic got it popping in the West and smack still struggling over there :pachaha:

Let's no do the name calling thing... compare my posts and compare yours then let's figure out whose the "idiot".

Anyway, they don't "have it popping" in the West. Now the idea of the Bunker is really dope, I'm not disputing that at all. But J-Pro went on AFR and clearly stated "Please support the PPVs, the ticket sales aren't enough to help us stay afloat". NYC is the only place where battle rap events can recoup off of ticket sales, period. Conceited said this on his Untold Truth, I'd assume he knows what he's talking about.

The fact that Daylyt, Pass, Rum Nitty & Danny Myers aren't active on KOTD West Coast SHOULD tell you everything that you need to know about how popping they have it over there.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All good points made and its true that very few of the original KOTD guys stuck around once the influx of SMACK/URL and ex-Grind Time cats came through. You have Pat Stay, Charron, Bender, Chedda Cheese, and 100 Bulletz, at this point that's around. Grind Time tanking like it did, boosted KOTD once Lush brought in the cats from the Fresh Coast. So guys like Po Rich, Arcane, Kid Twist, Knamelis, Sketch Menace, Aftershock, Bartone, and etc. either chose to fall back from battling altogether, battle here and there but not much, or stay behind the scenes of KOTD.

The one thing KOTD did that I like that SMACK didn't do was utilize some of the talent they neglected. Head ICE is pretty much one of the best and if not the best thing they have at KOTD. They brought in Marv Won when SMACK wasn't even bringing him back to their stage. Gave Gjonaj and Bigg K a place when business with SMACK/URL didn't go right. Everyone else that are like free agents like DNA, Arsonal, and etc. had some of their best matches on the KOTD stage. I say all that to say is that its been a while since they just had someone go thru the ranks of KOTD as developed talent like Charron, Pat Stay, Hollohan, and few others did. Gully is trying with the GZ's by bringing up Shotti P and Pnut (even though if i'm not mistaken, he was in some Grind Time battles originally).

Bruh P-Nut battled DNA on Grindtime back in 2009. He's a veteran, but he's going so hard right now that he deserves a push/rebranding. Shotti P is a nice find though.

Ardamus

Daps
Bruh P-Nut battled DNA on Grindtime back in 2009. He's a veteran, but he's going so hard right now that he deserves a push/rebranding. Shotti P is a nice find though.

yeah thats it. i knew he was back in GT then. couldn't remember which battles. when Malathion got on with KOTD Fresh Coast, we saw him around more.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
Ah thats what Norbes was talking about in Unbias. Makes sense now.

Lemme sum up Norbes' life for you

14713653_10208728066173219_2351237191206210261_n.jpg

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Would Charron and Math Hoffa ever be somewhere together that didn't have to do with battle rap though?

And thats my point. Charron could only get away with what he does on stage. And even then he can still get in trouble (KShine slap) On the street he would get beat up. Everyone knows that, so no one takes him serious.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From what @Phillyrider807 and others have said I gather Clips and Cal is already locked in for NOME. As a fan who probably won't attend the event, I really wish Clips could be switched out for Ill Will. Will is about to have a nice buzz on URL again, and those two REALLY don't like each other.

noodles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's the beef wit Ill Will n Clips? Yeah those are the battles I like...no interest in Cal v Clips...

Edit: my bad you mean Will v Cal...that won't happen