Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
I'm a battlerap junkie and I wouldnt subscribe to a freaking URL service. What would I be subscribing to, droughts? :mjlol:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
You're not wrong at all. But you do have to consider shyt like paying people to do front end and back end stuff for something like an app. And then there's updates that need to be rolled out for it. Even though it may not take as much to do as Netflix, which you're right about, its still a cost within it. Just a whole new set of priorities that they'd have to worry about.
True :yeshrug: they'd obviously have to hire some people but the monthly money they make plus the ticket sales for battles should be good enough to pay a couple devs to do maintenance :yeshrug: everybody in tech is learning how to make apps now so it'd be the perfect time to scout em out

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
only way a subscription app works imo is if URL, KOTD, RBE, DF, BP came together and did it. Centralize the biggest leagues into one..multiple leagues providing content, all their sponsors still contributing. They'd have to upload entire cards too, ain't nobody tryna pay for a service to have battles drop one at a time.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
50 thousand subscribers? Are you retarded? The can't get 50 people in a tent in one of the biggest cities in the country, yet you think they can get 50 thousand subscribers? LoL
Some of you guys don't realize how irrelevant battlerap is in the grand scheme of things.
Millions of people subscribe to other dumb shyt every day breh, 50k isn't a lot at all, a 500k view battle on url isnt alot, thinking about 10% of them would pay 2 bucks sounds outlandish?

World wide url couldnt get 50k people to subscribe for 2-3 dollars a month if that was the ONLY wat they could watch a url battle, livesteamed events, exclusive content?

People already pay 20-30 dollars to livestream 1 event, you tellin me they wouldn't subscribe that same amount for a years worth of major event livestreams? And the only place to watch url battles period?

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
only way a subscription app works imo is if URL, KOTD, RBE, DF, BP came together and did it. Centralize the biggest leagues into one..multiple leagues providing content, all their sponsors still contributing. They'd have to upload entire cards too, ain't nobody tryna pay for a service to have battles drop one at a time.

I will never ever ever ever understand this leagues coming together talk. It's URL and then it's everyone else.

The amount of marketable talent that didn't need the URL to blow up can be counted on two hands.

Everyone uses the URL format of battling.

Everyone books URL branded talent.

Even if we're basing our opinions off of the Internet superfans... just look at URL event posts and look at everyone else's.

Also, real mergers put a bunch of people outta work... who wants to go through that? You have multiple people who do the same job at different companies. You're only going to keep one of each. No one thinks about stuff like this when they talk that leagues coming together talk.

URL has four owners/ceos or whatever. If they can't figure it out amongst themselves, then :manny:

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I think Ave is battling the guy who was supposed to battle the guy who just backed out on him.

That's that sneaky corporate shyt that I was talking about. But if what I think is true, in this particular instance, I approve :salute:

I guess leagues can work together on some level lol

Last edited:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
True :yeshrug: they'd obviously have to hire some people but the monthly money they make plus the ticket sales for battles should be good enough to pay a couple devs to do maintenance :yeshrug: everybody in tech is learning how to make apps now so it'd be the perfect time to scout em out

Since the battles are no longer going to be on YouTube anymore they need to pay for a server to host their content. Gotta pay for bandwidth and full time tech support. That isn't cheap. A YouTube channel like Vice (7 million subscribers) doesn't even have a subscription service and they have an HBO show and their own cable network.

URL needs to focus on getting a million subscribers. That would help pull in more money. How about getting the battles uploaded on a schedule and fully released before the next event. They also need to help grow the culture. Here's an idea, do some URL vs KOTD cards. They need to manufacture excitement because battle rap is falling off. We didn't even get a Summer Madness.

What they could do is launch a paid app at 1.99 and use it for exclusive content like interviews, face offs, etc. That way you still have another source of money at a one time cost to the consumer.