Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!

So Hitman is hosting the event. And Suge is battling a nikka named "Bad Newz"
giphy.gif

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Suge automatically loses if he doesn't tap Newz' pockets. And you know Carolina negus ain't going for that physical shyt. :ufdup:

Stocking Cap Stu

pocket full of dreams....and weed
Daps
It really isn't a slippery slope at all. The real issues are

A lot of Hip-Hop fans are cheap and think it's cool to steal (myself included, especially my younger self). If you buy NFL Sunday Ticket you don't get refunds for crappy games.

The Youtube fans are accustomed to watching battles for free, and have convinced themselves their click makes a difference (again, this applies to me somewhat but I've bought PPVs and attended events).

Battle rap fans have TOO MUCH information about what goes on behind the scenes (myself included).

No other genre of fans would whine about paying a dollar or two for content that they would stop everything else they are doing to watch.

i'm not completely opposed to the idea, but i'm interested in seeing the structure of how it works. if they did something like the WWE Network where we could flip thru the entire URL catalog on-demand, then they have my few dollars easily.

as far as us knowing too much, solid point but whose fault is that? URL might need some non-disclosure agreements in place if this were to take off, these dudes run their mouths a lot when they feel slighted.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
Battle rap fans have TOO MUCH information about what goes on behind the scenes (myself included).

Agreed. You know what it is tho? I feel like rumors get spread so quickly about why certain shyt don't happen that the leagues, the battle rappers, and etc. always have to show proof of what did or didn't happen. Battle rap fans are skeptical of everything and then nosy when it comes to the personal life of these owners, battlers, and etc. Some shyt, we really don't need to know. The cut off point for me now is ghostwriting.....but yeah certain shyt happens at battle rap events like fights so I don't count those.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm not completely opposed to the idea, but i'm interested in seeing the structure of how it works. if they did something like the WWE Network where we could flip thru the entire URL catalog on-demand, then they have my few dollars easily.

as far as us knowing too much, solid point but whose fault is that? URL might need some non-disclosure agreements in place if this were to take off, these dudes run their mouths a lot when they feel slighted.

All those legal agreements don't mean anything when you realize you have to sue someone who has no assets & possibly doesn't even have a bank account. So I don't know if there's really anyone to blame. This is a business, but the money is made off of the talents of hood dudes.
Most of them don't have their financial affairs in order, so it is what it is.

And let's say they made Mook sign one for SM2 and he violated it. The fan response would be overwhelmingly negative towards Smack if they sued Mook. He helped build the platform, and as far as I know he doesn't receive any royalties from the sales of Smack DVDs.

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd only pay for live PPV, a whole event. You don't buy a UFC or WWE card by the match or a week afterwards. That's insane.

Ehh, Math vs Chilla on Don't Flop was $5. I bought it and I think a few other TBZ'ers did too.

I have no problem paying $5 for a battle I really want to see, as long as I can watch it on the Xbox youtube app on my TV.

That said, I prefer live PPVs too. And don't mind spending the $30 or whatever it is

In other news...

FIRE MATCH-UP :blessed:

Stocking Cap Stu

pocket full of dreams....and weed
Daps
All those legal agreements don't mean anything when you realize you have to sue someone who has no assets & possibly doesn't even have a bank account. So I don't know if there's really anyone to blame. This is a business, but the money is made off of the talents of hood dudes.
Most of them don't have their financial affairs in order, so it is what it is.

And let's say they made Mook sign one for SM2 and he violated it. The fan response would be overwhelmingly negative towards Smack if they sued Mook. He helped build the platform, and as far as I know he doesn't receive any royalties from the sales of Smack DVDs.

yeah, looks like my argument is snuffed out now. very good points here...