Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Again, it's foul because he was deceived. But what leverage does he have to get paid on URL? They have all the leverage here. Have we forgotten that this battle revived Born's career?

How lit would Born be if he 3-0'd Carter and threw some shots at Chilla in the 3rd?
All the leagues would be reaching out to him.

I find it hilarious and disgusting at the same time that internship culture worked it's way into battle rap

I wouldn't care if they paid him 200 or gave the nikka a ps4, but PAY the nikka something

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I'm a Streetstar
Palm the steel :violent:
I can catch em like Norbes..
For standin behind the grill, EWWW
- Gwitty

I was thinking about these bars last week when Gwitty was basically begging URL to fukk with him on FB.

I wouldn't be surprised if these bars sorta got him blackballed by Norbes..

C'mon. They pretty much did a whole roast on Norbes on URL War Report after it happened. He doesn't give a fukk. The reality is that Gwitty hasn't matched that Dougy performance in any of his battles since then, PG or not. His Fettucine 20 battle is the closest to it, but right after that he lost to Pharoah.

Norbes is a jerk & a slob, but I've never seen anything that makes me think he's sensitive.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I find it hilarious and disgusting at the same time that internship culture worked it's way into battle rap

I wouldn't care if they paid him 200 or gave the nikka a ps4, but PAY the nikka something

I disagree. We can't keep pretending like this isn't a business. The leagues can't survive without revenue. I would never have offered Born any money to battle on URL in the first place.

And it's not Born hate, I wouldn't offer Math any money for his next battle on URL either. It's all about leverage. Math desperately needs a really good look on a big league or his value will just keep decreasing. Looks like Born is going through the same thing. If Pass really got bodied by Brizz then he's in the same boat. If Tone Montana ever gets back on Smack, same thing. You want an opportunity to redeem yourself? Cool. But I'm not paying you.

You guys really need to think about the recent proliferation of "bar for bar" rappers. Born's status isn't that high among that group anymore.

JC and Chilla have always been above him

Danny Myers/Ave/Rum Nitty/Gjonaj/Steams/Official/Danja Zone/Mike P have surpassed him

Ty Law is on his level at the very least. Quantum Physics is on his level, maybe higher. Chef Trez might be hotter already. Gwitty may be on his level of popularity at this point.

M. Ciddy might be on his way back. Lotta Zay is on his way back. Young Kannon is pushing. Mr. Mills is pushing. Saint Mic is pushing. Xcel is still around. Brixx Belvedere is still around. Ha Double & Anubis pop up every now and again.

Then URL has 6-8 barfest guys coming up.

A few years ago there was less than 10 of these guys.

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Aint like he was asking for thousands of bucks

especially considering the BL3 tickets cost over a 100 for a small venue

Stocking Cap Stu

pocket full of dreams....and weed
Daps
this "paying for battles" thing seems like a slippery slope IMO. leaves me with a few questions:

what will be the URL/rapper cut on this money?
are we gonna get charged more for bigger names getting on stage?
do we pay by the event or per battle?
if someone's battle doesn't make money, is their URL career over regardless of a fire performance?
if someone stinks it up or doesn't prepare, can we get refunds?
how long before someone brags about their percentage & fukks it up for everyone?

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this "paying for battles" thing seems like a slippery slope IMO. leaves me with a few questions:

what will be the URL/rapper cut on this money?
are we gonna get charged more for bigger names getting on stage?
do we pay by the event or per battle?
if someone's battle doesn't make money, is their URL career over regardless of a fire performance?
if someone stinks it up or doesn't prepare, can we get refunds?
how long before someone brags about their percentage & fukks it up for everyone?

It really isn't a slippery slope at all. The real issues are

A lot of Hip-Hop fans are cheap and think it's cool to steal (myself included, especially my younger self). If you buy NFL Sunday Ticket you don't get refunds for crappy games.

The Youtube fans are accustomed to watching battles for free, and have convinced themselves their click makes a difference (again, this applies to me somewhat but I've bought PPVs and attended events).

Battle rap fans have TOO MUCH information about what goes on behind the scenes (myself included).

No other genre of fans would whine about paying a dollar or two for content that they would stop everything else they are doing to watch.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
It really isn't a slippery slope at all. The real issues are

A lot of Hip-Hop fans are cheap and think it's cool to steal (myself included, especially my younger self). If you buy NFL Sunday Ticket you don't get refunds for crappy games.

The Youtube fans are accustomed to watching battles for free, and have convinced themselves their click makes a difference (again, this applies to me somewhat but I've bought PPVs and attended events).

Battle rap fans have TOO MUCH information about what goes on behind the scenes (myself included).

No other genre of fans would whine about paying a dollar or two for content that they would stop everything else they are doing to watch.
All facts

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Naw fukk that. You cant tell me Born isn't a big enough name to get paid when u have pgs out here getting a check. Im not counting anyones pocket. But in no way are you going to tell me Born should be battling for free for all the work he put in.
Breh, if URL had to pay Born they would. URL can afford not to have Born battle, that's it. There's no "should" to business; you don't get what you're "worth", you get what you can get. That's on Born; I could see if he was a PG or something, but Born has been battling FOREVER, if he hasn't been able to make himself a name with some demand, that's on Born. :yeshrug: