Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Unsure what you mean.
His stock went up anyway. If “I have a million view battle on YouTube, i want this now” was a viable negotiation tactic, why isn’t “i have 2.14 million smacks on your app”? You can argue that URL can manipulate that shyt I guess but they haven’t. They have a leaderboard and rankings based on votes and reactions.

Eazy came up in the APP era and is a well known commodity within the community. You can’t turn around and argue that a lack of YouTube is hurting his branding or popularity.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
I’d argue they get the benefit of continuing to grow their leagues. If URL decides they’ve maxed out their popularity and can make more money taking 35% of their fanbase on a self made app I don’t think it’s terrible.
My question was moreso....do you have proof that URL wasnt making money off youtube releases? Do you have something where Smack says "Youtube demonitized us for our content". I gurantee they do make money off youtube videos.

I have no idea why Jaz doesn’t just tell her fanbase to sign up to the URL app to see her battle. If your argument is why make URL more money for free, she’s doing the same thing posting a YouTube link. It’s another thing if URL tells her they can’t pay her worth for a battle because they’re making less money or something… but by all accounts money is up from my understanding.
Jazz telling her fans to go to youtube isnt the same as telling them to the app. How does she say yo "My stock up because I got xx amount of views" with the app? She cant. Like @TripleAgent said, which Chris also mentioned, battlers have no leverage to negotiate with URL w/o metrics like youtube views. The app also has a barrier of entry compared to youtube being free. Not to mention the youtube audience being massive, compared to very small hardcore audience that app has.

On top of the no leverage to negotiate with URL, URL are also capping their potential popularity by not having youtube releases. By this I mean a battler's popularity, not the league's popularity. Imagine if Lux vs Calicoe couldve only been seen on the app and didnt drop on youtube.

Eazy came up in the APP era and is a well known commodity within the community. You can’t turn around and argue that a lack of YouTube is hurting his branding or popularity.
Did he come up on the app(URL App) era or the caffeine era?Im a casual fan and only seen Ez on caffeine. Those are two different things and I would say EZ came up mor eon the caffeine streams than anything on the app. Idk what a smack is, but sound like some bs from the app :manny:

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
His stock went up anyway. If “I have a million view battle on YouTube, i want this now” was a viable negotiation tactic, why isn’t “i have 2.14 million smacks on your app”? You can argue that URL can manipulate that shyt I guess but they haven’t. They have a leaderboard and rankings based on votes and reactions.

Everyone knows and understands Youtube. There is no way around Youtube if you're trying to promote a product for most companies. You can't negotiate based on app views because the world doesn't have access, point blank period. I can't believe you think anyone will equate success on the URL app to Instagram or Youtube following.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Everyone knows and understands Youtube. There is no way around Youtube if you're trying to promote a product for most companies. You can't negotiate based on app views because the world doesn't have access, point blank period. I can't believe you think anyone will equate success on the URL app to Instagram or Youtube following.

Aren’t you negotiating with URL in this scenario? Your argument is that YouTube is hurting them when trying to negotiate with lesser leagues? Again, explain Eazy becoming the face of Chrome 23 while being strictly app?

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

It went up because of Bel-Air, and him not losing, clearly at least. You can't go at them with "I did xxx on the app" because they control the app, and if you think app numbers aren't manipulated, I have beachfront property in Arkansas to sell you. If this was the YT era, he would already be completely outta here.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
My question was moreso....do you have proof that URL wasnt making money off youtube releases? Do you have something where Smack says "Youtube demonitized us for our content". I gurantee they do make money off youtube videos.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that when everyone started losing their channels and talking about how YouTube was docking their pay for cursing, URL stopped posting their battles on there and came out with the app. They’re doing it independently instead of “being signed to a major” on YouTube…
Jazz telling her fans to go to youtube isnt the same as telling them to the app. How does she say yo "My stock up because I got xx amount of views" with the app? She cant. Like @TripleAgent said, which Chris also mentioned, battlers have no leverage to negotiate with URL w/o metrics like youtube views. The app also has a barrier of entry compared to youtube being free. Not to mention the youtube audience being massive, compared to very small hardcore audience that app has.
It’s all relative. A million views was the YouTube bar because nikkas like Arsonal started bragging about it. It was a way to compare how popular you were in comparison to your peers on YouTube. You can do the same shyt on the app. I’m the number one nikka on the app. I have this many battles yet i have this many likes. nikkas just being stuck on “a million views” and that’s none of URLs business.

Is it just a coincidence that all the popular nikkas in the community are also popular on the app? Are the people who use the app any less qualified to critique the sport then the random people on YouTube?

On top of the no leverage to negotiate with URL, URL are also capping their potential popularity by not having youtube releases. By this I mean a battler's popularity, not the league's popularity. Imagine if Lux vs Calicoe couldve only been seen on the app and didnt drop on youtube.
This is fair, but again, the URL is the corporation. They saw what that battle did for them and then they saw that they hit their ceiling a few years later. They stopped getting subscribers, all their top battles were getting the same 2.5-3 million views… You can either stay stagnant and lose money, or you can service your core fanbase directly and make more money.

Did he come up on the app(URL App) era or the caffeine era?Im a casual fan and only seen Ez on caffeine. Those are two different things and I would say EZ came up mor eon the caffeine streams than anything on the app. Idk what a smack is, but sound like some bs from the app :manny:
They’re the same thing. My point is he came up in the era where URL stopped posting battles on YouTube and you still learned about him and became a fan. Because the nikka is nice. You can argue that he’d be bigger if his battles were on YouTube but my counter argument is he wouldn’t be THAT much bigger.

Last edited:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
It went up because of Bel-Air, and him not losing, clearly at least. You can't go at them with "I did xxx on the app" because they control the app, and if you think app numbers aren't manipulated, I have beachfront property in Arkansas to sell you. If this was the YT era, he would already be completely outta here.
Who on the app is being held back? Who on the app is bigger than they are within the community? Geechi, Rum, JC, Eazy, Surf etc are all the top nikkas on the app. shyt, even Calicoe who doesn’t have that many battles on there is among the top vote and reaction getters.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Aren’t you negotiating with URL in this scenario? Your argument is that YouTube is hurting them when trying to negotiate with lesser leagues? Again, explain Eazy becoming the face of Chrome 23 while being strictly app?

No one has to explain anything to you you just gotta catch up. No such thing as a lesser league when they pay you more and provide you a bigger audience.
Smack has prestige, but he doesn't have the secret formula to battle rap. There are X amount of stars who ever does good business with them will prosper.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
No one has to explain anything to you you just gotta catch up. No such thing as a lesser league when they pay you more and provide you a bigger audience.
Smack has prestige, but he doesn't have the secret formula to battle rap. There are X amount of stars who ever does good business with them will prosper.
So smack should take less money by putting battles on YouTube so battlers can blow up and go make his competition hot? :dahell: