Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
These guys must be trying to get some views. I haven’t listened yet, but there’s no way these bag fuel nyggas are interested enough in battle rap to know what they make, specifically Esso.
it's funny, the early days of URL, Hynaken's This is 50/True Stories Radio interviews was one of the few places to go for battle rap interviews. That 2010-2012 era. Then he slowly started stepping away from the scene as battle rap grew. I don't know if he lost desire to cover it or so much competition popped up he just didn't want to compete.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Esso is mad cool with Smack, he was around during the DVD era. He said he told Smack he was crazy for putting all his content back on YouTube instead of DVDs back then and he admits he was clearly wrong :mjlol:

Hynaken was around the culture for a long time also. They definitely do sounded a little dated on their viewpoints though

Esso clearly has said something along the lines that he doesn’t follow nor care about battle rap on MEO when he was on there. All he cares about is business.

I’m aware Hynaken has interviewed many battlers.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I finally came around to being a Tay Roc fan. Used to hate him, but he's one of the few that consistently comes with that real "fukk you" energy and actually makes battles feel like battles and not just aggressive poem recitals.
Even when I used to think Roc was wack (yes, I once felt this way smh), I was always somewhat of a fan because you can tell Roc CARES about the shyt. It’s not a check to him and he’s not down playing everyone else. Roc really gives a fukk about battling, been in the game forever and has maintained his passion for the shyt. That’s commendable no matter who you are and no matter what you do.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Okay Jakk:ehh:

He's already legendary. He should be in Mt. Rushmore talks.
I agree, but it is not unquestioned/ universal. And I am someone who has Danny in my top 5 of all times. Example: I don’t really like Ars or Diz as battlers, but it is undeniable that they are legendary battlers. People hate Verb but won’t deny he is a legend. It is not the same with Danny.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I agree, but it is not unquestioned/ universal. And I am someone who has Danny in my top 5 of all times. Example: I don’t really like Ars or Diz as battlers, but it is undeniable that they are legendary battlers. People hate Verb but won’t deny he is a legend. It is not the same with Danny.
That's just popularity, some of which is Danny's fault. At this point, he should be mentioned in the same way as Dizaster at least, he is directly responsible for a lot of where the West is now, at his own sacrifice. Sheep ass BR fans are going to say what they're told to think.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Danny didn’t manage his career right.

Let’s take someone like Tay Roc. He always faced the right opponents. Once he became a legend, he just started battling anyone (Slade, Stumbles, Snake Eyes, etc).

Danny would just battle anyone. That shyt has always hurt the value of guys like Danny, JC, etc.

superchoops

Superstar
Daps
Danny didn’t manage his career right.

Let’s take someone like Tay Roc. He always faced the right opponents. Once he became a legend, he just started battling anyone (Slade, Stumbles, Snake Eyes, etc).

Danny would just battle anyone. That shyt has always hurt the value of guys like Danny, JC, etc.
battle rap one of the few things where if you just fully participating and battling everyone and helping the sport grow, your peers seemingly look down on you

i'll always respect Danny and Rum for constantly giving shots to people that shouldn't have ever gotten a phone call/text from a league owner with their names in the message

hqdefault.jpg

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
battle rap one of the few things where if you just fully participating and battling everyone and helping the sport grow, your peers seemingly look down on you

i'll always respect Danny and Rum for constantly giving shots to people that shouldn't have ever gotten a phone call/text from a league owner with their names in the message

I don’t think his peers look down on him. Danny is just not a big battle. How you market yourself is important. If Lux battled every week on every league, there would be no anticipation to see him.

You also mentioned two guys that have multiple kids. They got no choice but to battle.

Last edited:

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
I don’t think his peers look down on him. Danny is just not a big battle. How you market yourself is important. If Lux battled every week on every league, there would be no anticipation to see him.

You also mentioned two guys that have multiple kids. They got no choice but to battle.
Contrary to popular belief. I think most battlers see Danny as some sorta alien almost. Everyone that speaks of him has the utmost respect for dude it seems