Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I really don’t think judging adds much of anything to battle rap or makes sense unless it’s a tournament.
Drect is Grindtime, who used to have every battle judged and have records

We're from the Smack side, where battles just happened and we picked who won or lost at home

I am interested to see what method he came up with, because I can't think of a sufficient way to do it, especially live.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Come to think of it, like has judging really gone that bad? Like outside of outright highway robbery (like Diz vs Frak) I don't recall like judged battles being poorly recieved in the modern era

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I said Free that man not knowing it was a body on some RICO shyt. At that point, it’s a wrap unless he can prove his innocence otherwise. May not be a fan of dude like that but I don’t wish that shyt on no one.

I was late to the news so I didn’t know what the initial speculation was for. I would have been saying “Free Surf” initially too because it looked like he got swept up in a RICO because he was gang affiliated, which is unfortunate but since he let it slip that it’s for a body, I’m taking a wait and see approach because if he genuinely was involved, I have to wash my hands of him as a fan.

It’s sad all around though because he was coming into his own as an artist and Quarantine Tales was one of the songs that got me through lockdowns.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Drect is Grindtime, who used to have every battle judged and have records

We're from the Smack side, where battles just happened and we picked who won or lost at home

I am interested to see what method he came up with, because I can't think of a sufficient way to do it, especially live.

Yes I am aware. I also listened to Remy explain his method in spaces. She said he wrote a 9-10 page paper for judges. The shyt was just seemed way to complicated to even take seriously.

Battle rap in the past has always been judged, perhaps with exception of the DVD era. People have to keep in mind that battle rap grew based on the non judged format.

Last edited:

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@FreshAIG

Starts at 12 min mark. I get what he’s trying to do, I just don’t think a lot of his ideas align with street style battle rap. Their more suited for KOTD/grind time type of emcees.

There are certain things that aren’t accounted for that are much more important on the street side such as believability, relatability, etc

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Come to think of it, like has judging really gone that bad? Like outside of outright highway robbery (like Diz vs Frak) I don't recall like judged battles being poorly recieved in the modern era
Every Ultimate Madness had at least one battle where the judging made no sense and people were angry.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
I was late to the news so I didn’t know what the initial speculation was for. I would have been saying “Free Surf” initially too because it looked like he got swept up in a RICO because he was gang affiliated, which is unfortunate but since he let it slip that it’s for a body, I’m taking a wait and see approach because if he genuinely was involved, I have to wash my hands of him as a fan.

It’s sad all around though because he was coming into his own as an artist and Quarantine Tales was one of the songs that got me through lockdowns.
And it was hard for me to be a fan of his because I always found him to talk way to wreck less about his peers and he wasn’t even matching his potential. And he just did stuff in battles I didn’t like in terms of some of the writing along with the 2 rounds bullshyt wasn’t my thing. But I give him credit for tactical dude in the ring and being able to sell the show. With all that said, hate seeing him go thru this but ya know…you’re right, it’s a whole wait and see kinda thing. Catching a body under a Rico tho? SMH….damn fam.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
And it was hard for me to be a fan of his because I always found him to talk way to wreck less about his peers and he wasn’t even matching his potential. And he just did stuff in battles I didn’t like in terms of some of the writing along with the 2 rounds bullshyt wasn’t my thing. But I give him credit for tactical dude in the ring and being able to sell the show. With all that said, hate seeing him go thru this but ya know…you’re right, it’s a whole wait and see kinda thing. Catching a body under a Rico tho? SMH….damn fam.
This is 100% how I feel/felt about surf.

But honestly, Surf had a Black Compass interview after the JC battle tho (before the charges) that kinda swayed my opinion on him.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"Judged" battles are stupid (unless its money on the line)... Battles are already judged... Whats the difference between "judges" and fans lol judges ARE fans.
Because clowns like you can't be trusted to fairly judge a battle. :usure: