The Official Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Movie Thread

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I wouldn't mind if they made a spider man movie with that tone because there have been spider man arcs that are very grim and very down beaten, like Kraven's last hunt, but he remains the guy still fighting, even in a grave buried alive. Maximum Carnage was down beaten and even a bit cynical but that's not what made it a bad arc..in fact, it could've been a great arc if they handled it right and really made it a rebuke of guys like carnage and a larger point about Peter's way of doing things being the right way. A spider man story can take on any shape or form it needs to as long as it reinforces something about the main character.

And I agree with you on the screenplay front as far as execution and it being sloppy when it happened. Like I said, I appreciate what they were going for but it just didn't hit the mark.

So you'd be fine with Spidey snapping Osborn's neck as a last resort because he was about to throw a pumpkin bomb at some family?

And the bolded I agree on, although I will say all Man Of Steel's story reinforced about the Superman character is that Snyder and Goyer's vision isn't the right one.

And that's the last I'll say about it.

Until the next time this argument happens again. :russ:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
did you find winter soldier boring and passe?

No but again cap was conflicted. Cap wasn't just being this stereotypical figure who looked at the world in rose colored glasses. Cap was already on edge about the amount of secrets shield was keeping and showed some depth to his character. He had his ideals and he knew how he warned the world to be but he also knew how the world was and he was determined to fix the mess shield had made and questioned what in the hell is he a part of. A good superman movie should be the same thing or at least can be.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
No but again cap was conflicted. Cap wasn't just being this stereotypical figure who looked at the world in rose colored glasses. Cap was already on edge about the amount of secrets shield was keeping and showed some depth to his character. He had his ideals and he knew how he warned the world to be but he also knew how the world was and he was determined to fix the mess shield had made and questioned what in the hell is he a part of. A good superman movie should be the same thing or at least can be.

right, but in the end cap was a righteous do gooder.

if cap can work on screen, then superman can.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
right, but in the end cap was a righteous do gooder.

if cap can work on screen, then superman can.

It's how you actualize him being righteous though..now part of that has to do with winter soldier being a better written movie but he also wasn't the stereotypical righteous do gooder which is boring. There was internal conflict in winter soldier with Cap...this thing he believed in wasn't what he thought and it made him question his beliefs and morals and what exactly is the right thing to do. They went for something complex rather than simple and what I'm saying is, the simple characterization of a righteous do gooder is boring breh and it's not interesting to watch..you can see better film on teeth

Daps
Reppin
NYC
That I agree on, although I will say all Man Of Steel's story reinforced about the Superman character is that Snyder and Goyer's vision isn't the one.

actually i'm not really sure what MOS re-enforces about superman at all. that he doesn't like to kill? do we really need to be told that? was that supposed to be like the defining moment for this character? do we need to sit through 2 and a half hours to we can learn at the end that superman doesn't like to kill?

Daps
Reppin
NYC
It's how you actualize him being righteous though..now part of that has to do with winter soldier being a better written movie but he also wasn't the stereotypical righteous do gooder which is boring. There was internal conflict in winter soldier with Cap...this thing he believed in wasn't what he thought and it made him question his beliefs and morals and what exactly is the right thing to do. They went for something complex rather than simple and what I'm saying is, the simple characterization of a righteous do gooder is boring breh and it's not interesting to watch..you can see better film on teeth

when was cap ever morally conflicted in winter soldier? i don't recall.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
when was cap ever morally conflicted in winter soldier? i don't recall.

I guess that comes down to interpretation but I felt like he was morally conflicted as to whom he was working for..is he truly doing good work and working for the people if the place he's working for is hiding so much and doing so much in secret. I think that's another reason he went to Sam while Sam was working with the vets, trying to figure out where he belonged because the place he thought he belonged may not be all its cracked up to be and may be doing more harm than good. He had an idea of what Shield should be but shield wasn't that so in good conscience, how could he work with them or for them? That's the way I took it anyway.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
actually i'm not really sure what MOS re-enforces about superman at all. that he doesn't like to kill? do we really need to be told that? was that supposed to be like the defining moment for this character?d o we need to sit through 2 and a half hours to we can learn at the end that superman doesn't like to kill?

Well, I could shyt on the movie's portrayal of Superman for days and not get tired of it but as the Entertainment Weekly interview with Snyder about BvS clarified, he wanted a Superman more grounded in realistic consequences. Which is incredibly daring mostly because you risk draining all the fun of it. I mean, nobody wants to see Indiana Jones with realistic consequences (he'd probably end up crushed by a big boulder or starving to death in a Nazi prison camp) and nobody wants to see Jurassic Park with realistic consequences (in the sequel all the dinosaurs have been put to sleep and we're now watching a two hour courtroom drama of the inevitable lawsuit against inGen) because some shyt just isn't meant to be realistic.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
There was a shytload of kids in my theater. All ages. They marketed it to everyone. :manny:

Kids are fine. I was watching shyt like Die Hard and Terminator 2 as a kid.
There were kids in my theater too and the marketing was geared towards them but the movie itself really wasn't what one would consider a "kid's movie".
And I was watching The Exorcist and The Shining as wee youngin so I wasn't bothered by anything in Jurassic World personally.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I guess that comes down to interpretation but I felt like he was morally conflicted as to whom he was working for..is he truly doing good work and working for the people if the place he's working for is hiding so much and doing so much in secret. I think that's another reason he went to Sam while Sam was working with the vets, trying to figure out where he belonged because the place he thought he belonged may not be all its cracked up to be and may be doing more harm than good. He had an idea of what Shield should be but shield wasn't that so in good conscience, how could he work with them or for them? That's the way I took it anyway.

but cap isn't morally conflicted. you know what he stands for right from the jump, he lays it out for fury in the helipad. "this shyt ain't right, this ain't what i signed up for". his position doesn't change the entire movie.

cap is the moral compass of the story, as superman should be in his.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Yeah quick download in the dc comics app. Made me want to read the whole run. The basic story is just the Hitman character and superman talking on a roof in Gotham.
Hitman was an awesome book. That and Preacher had cemented Ennis as "Gawdlike" when it came to comics writers for me and that was before he came out with The Boys.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Well, I could shyt on the movie's portrayal of Superman for days and not get tired of it but as the Entertainment Weekly interview with Snyder about BvS clarified, he wanted a Superman more grounded in realistic consequences. Which is incredibly daring mostly because you risk draining all the fun of it. I mean, nobody wants to see Indiana Jones with realistic consequences (he'd probably end up crushed by a big boulder or starving to death in a Nazi prison camp) and nobody wants to see Jurassic Park with realistic consequences (in the sequel all the dinosaurs have been put to sleep and we're now watching a two hour courtroom drama of the inevitable lawsuit against inGen) because some shyt just isn't meant to be realistic.

lol right let's focus on the collateral damage of superman's fight with zod and NOT on the fact that he just saved the earth from an alien invasion.

we should be thankful that we got to see REAL superheroes in action when we were kids.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
but cap isn't morally conflicted. you know what he stands for right from the jump, he lays it out for fury in the helipad. "this shyt ain't right, this ain't what i signed up for". his position doesn't change the entire movie.

cap is the moral compass of the story, as superman should be in his.

I don't feel that moral conflict means he's questioning what he believes in but i do believe he questioned if he should work for this place and what they stand for and what it says about him which is the same thing superman can be.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I don't feel that moral conflict means he's questioning what he believes in but i do believe he questioned if he should work for this place and what they stand for and what it says about him which is the same thing superman can be.

and how did you feel about his decision in the end? how did it make you feel? did it inspire you?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Hitman was an awesome book. That and Preacher had cemented Ennis as "Gawdlike" when it came to comics writers for me and that was before he came out with The Boys.

Yeah I'm going to download the whole run. That one issue sold me, along with other things I heard about it on this podcast I was listening to.