The Official "Avengers: Infinity War" Thread (SPOILERS)

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Tha scene with all those dead ppl lying around......that has to be Xandar OR all those Asgardians on that ship at the end of Ragnorok.

Also....the scene with Tony, Dr. Strange, Wong n Banner standing in the street......ya peep how Tony was moving n the other 3 were “frozen”?
he prolly "oliver twist"-finessed the gem off strange and put it in a civil war -type wrist contraption :lupe:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
The more i think on it the more it makes sense to not have Thanos wear his usual armor from the jump. When watching these superhero movies one of the biggest moments aside from the first appearance of the character is seeing them in an updated/upgraded costume. You are going to get the pop once Thanos appears on screen, save him donning the helmet for later to get another pop.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
fukk you ironman:umad::umad:
RectangularFirsthandAustraliancattledog-max-14mb.gif

I can't wait to see this scene in theaters:umad::umad:
VAhTWJp_zpsidwwqpfo.png

You scared to death you scared to @ you shook. Cause there ain't no such things as halfway crooks. When that clapback happens you'll be on front row I'll be there with the
rYD7RBN_zps8cavkogv.png

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I do

I just hope they've solved their too many cuts in an action scene problem. :yeshrug:That's really my main issue with them to be honest, I don't see them Ultroning Thanos

G2VQ.gif

^That is fukked up choppy editing. Marvel has some of the best action scenes with few excessive cuts. First time hearing this one.

Edit:
I saw the vids you posted and you have a point but its not that jarring for me. The main fights are dope.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Yes he has. He's been growing since they first introduced him as Winter Soldier back in 05. IIRC he even had his own solos on and off. And in 08 was the new Cap for some time. He has slowly been making his way as a B lister in comics. Don't know what you find surprising.

this is what i was referring to but i also thought he didn't get a lot of love being new Cap

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
The more i think on it the more it makes sense to not have Thanos wear his usual armor from the jump. When watching these superhero movies one of the biggest moments aside from the first appearance of the character is seeing them in an updated/upgraded costume. You are going to get the pop once Thanos appears on screen, save him donning the helmet for later to get another pop.
Yeah this point hit me from jump.

When people talk about "villain problems", often they talk about the character being one dimensional and generic. Even before you get to writing dialogue, that one dimensional and generic issue starts at costume and character design.

You look at some of the biggest offending comic book villains across all studios and it's clear that most of the CGI villains are designed to "look villainous" at the expense of any designs that inform their character. They have bulky armor, spikes and shyt all over their bodies, and that's it. You can't ever imagine them taking a nap, or having dinner, or actually living as a being and doing anything other than looking evil. And when that is your design philosophy, it limits what you can actually do to characterize them.

The Russos have said they want to add more dimension to Thanos, and even though I haven't seen the film, I already believe they have followed through on that desire just from looking at how they have chosen to design his character.

Him wearing the cosmic equivalent to a polo and slacks informs me of what he feels about this invasion, his quest to collect the gems, and the level of threat that opposes him (none), even more than his smile in the stinger for Avengers.

He smiled when they said to come to earth is to court death. And now we're seeing him following through on that reaction by showing up dressed like it's a random Tuesday.

That context already gives him more than one dimension and it allows for a setup later in the movie (or Avengers 4) for him to make a decision to don his armor and helmet. And like you said, that will feel like a much bigger deal, on some "oh shyt, Thanos means business now":damn:

than if he were to just show up dressed like that.

The heroes in these movies are never static in how they appear. They fight in street clothes in some scenes, mask on and then mask off (often done to raise the emotional stakes) in other scenes, suits and costumers that give them more power and abilities but at the expense of their own humanity and will, etc.

And besides being done to sell toys and make sure the actors face can be used in promo, they also serve narrative and characterization purposes. You can characterize Vision for example by just showing him dressed and sitting like this, basically telling the audience without words his desire to mimic human behavior, mannerisms, and dress to learn more about what it means to be human.

dwvf6b2619ar4fp68i3r.png

You would lose that if he was just always in cape and armor.

And I think you lose a lot by designing Thanos as a static warlord always dressed like he is at court, even when he isn't.

infinity-war-thanos.png

^^^ Design alone, I can see dimensions to this warlord possessing a full range of complex emotions and thought. I can see this dude reading or being taught lessons from a mentor. I can see him having a conversation that doesn't involve monologuing evil thoughts. I can see him politicking, doing science and creating technology. I can see him courting a woman, raising a child, and if it came down to it....murdering that woman and child. I see a villain. But I also see a character with depth.

And it doesn't mean he isn't menacing just because I can imagine softer sides, he's still the guy that removed body parts from Nebula just because she lost a fight. He's still the dude that committed space genocide, murdered Gamora's parents in front of her, and raised her as a daughter and assassin. His tales of brutality, combined with his sometimes subdued and casual demeanor only makes him more menacing to me.

I also like the design decision to make him look more like Josh Brolin. It tells me that they are truly trying to back up their words.

“Well, I mean, it always varies, but it always starts with what serves the story the most and what serves the hero the most. We’ve been criticized, if a big criticism of ours is that we focus on the heroes more than the villains, I think that’s probably true. I don’t think it will always be true and I think some of you spoke to Chris and Steve at the Civil War junket. When the heck was that, yesterday? Last week? And they talked about, in appropriately oblique terms, Thanos. Thanos in Infinity War is, you know, in a movie that has a lot of characters, you could almost go so far as to say he is the main character, and that’s a bit of a departure from what we’ve done before, but that was appropriate for a movie called Infinity War.

Now obviously he won't be the protagonist but I get the sense that his characterization will be a large focus in the film, and for that to work, Josh is going to have to carry it by his performance. And good performances require emoting. And it's easier for emoting to connect with an audience from faces that look like they at least have a soul.

Not this.

XM.jpg

or

this

credit-marvel-studios.jpg

or

this

steppenwolf-1162017.png

But

this

Screen_Shot_2017_11_30_at_8.32.33_AM.png

He can still be evil, I mean he's going to attempt to wipe out huge sections of the universe while casually murdering the heroes everyone loves, but he doesn't have to start off scowling in bulky ass armor. Let him change and have an arc as a character over these next 5-6 hours of films, so that he builds to rage and fury.

That way it will come off as a facet of his character, rather than that being all there is to the character.

Last edited: