DFW Metroplex
Last edited:

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
Brandon Routh talks Ray Palmer

Last week on “Arrow,” the sudden death of Sara Lance (Caity Lotz) might have distracted some viewers from the introduction of Ray Palmer, a newcomer played by former big-screen Superman Brandon Routh. However, on tonight’s (October 15) episode, “Sara,” no one will be able to deny this charming stranger’s existence — because he’s coming straight for our girl Felicity (Emily Rickards), whether we (and Oliver) like it or not.

“I continue to pursue Felicity to hire her,” Routh told MTV News over the phone. “She’s the best tech brain in the city, or maybe even further than that. I definitely had my eyes on her from the beginning — coming to Tech Village for the first time, not necessarily knowing anything about what she looks like. [It was] just about her brain and her abilities and skills. I continue to do that, but once I see her and meet her, maybe it becomes a dual purpose. But at the forefront I need her skills for my plans, as I continue to try to make them happen. And Ray Palmer tends to get what he wants.”

As for what Ray’s plans truly are, of course Routh couldn't say much — only that he has one, that he also has “a past,” and that at least part of the charming front he puts on is legit. However, Routh also said that a Ray Palmer flashback episode might be in the cards.

“From the beginning, when I met with Marc [Guggenheim] and Andrew [Kreisberg], they mentioned that they were thinking of doing a flashback episode all about Ray, or just about the day that something happened in his life at the same time that it happened in other characters’ lives,” Routh continued.

AR301c_0246b.jpg

Hold the phone — did he just say “the day that something happened in his life at the same time it happened in other characters’ lives?” Yes, he did. And we can’t help but speculate that he might be talking about the day that a certain accident at S.T.A.R. Labs turned Barry Allen into the Flash, since we all know that DC Comics’ Ray Palmer moonlights as the Atom. However, he could also be talking about the attack from Deathstroke, since it’s unlikely that Palmer’s shrinking-powers will be revealed, unless (or until?) he takes a trip to Central City.

Marc said that if the shrinking was going to happen, it’s more likely to be on ‘The Flash,’” Routh continued. “But I have no knowledge of a crossover or any of that. ‘Arrow’ is very grounded in reality, so nobody really has any powers. That is a challenging thing, to have you bring a character like the Atom in, with his trademark thing being that he shrinks.”

It’s a challenge for sure, but a challenge that the show will hopefully surmount. Routh, for one, is a believer.

“They have a plan [for Ray's powers], I just don’t know all of it because I am a silly actor and I tend to run my mouth just like other silly actors, so they don’t tell us everything,” he said. “But just because he’s not shrinking doesn't mean that he might not be doing something else, or be involved in some other kind of superhero-y way. I know that there is some type of suit thing happening, though I’m not at liberty to discuss much. But it looks cool, and I would be happy to wear it.”

Maybe the suit will help woo Felicity away from the Flash, who she will be visiting (and kissing) in two weeks. Routh said that — as of press time — Ray Palmer had no idea that Felicity was being wooed by Allen. Or by Oliver Queen, for that matter.

AR301c_0374b.jpg

“As far as we are in the scripts, there’s no knowledge of her going [to Central City],” Routh continued. “As mysterious as Ray is, she’s mysterious to him… I don’t know anything about her backstory. I have no knowledge of her working with the Arrow, I have no knowledge of her and Oliver as a relationship, or any of that. But as Brandon Routh, I’m like, ‘What? Come on — Oliver, and Barry, and Ray? Come on.’ She’s a hot commodity. But it’s all good – as long as she’s honest with everybody. Or is she? [Laughs]”

Now, Olicity fans, before you start hounding Routh (or us) on Twitter, know that we’re here for you — and that Routh is pretty well-versed in dealing with shippers.

“I was thrown into that with Chuck and Sarah [on 'Chuck'] a few years back,” Routh said. “I understand the love, and I don't want to do any harm — or as little harm as I can. I accept that it’s part of the job, and I can take the backlash if there is any. I just try to make Ray as charming as possible, so that even if you hate him, you love to hate him.”

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
It's too bad they canceled The Tomorrow People, we could've had Flash right before Arrow every week:mjcry:

:sadcam:I just watched "The Tomorrow People" in the last couple months & a half. Dat joint was good. Definitely disappointed it was canceled after 1 season.

I enjoyed it so much, It made me want to finish watching "Nikita" and I'm now checking for new upcoming WB-produced CW genre shows like "The 100" and "iZombie".

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
flash is not as dark and remember arrow took time to be goood, i remember the first half of season one was kind of :scusthov: then they got that budget push
Flash doesn't need to be a dark show to be good tho. I think the show is pretty good as is just a different tone than arrow and obviously there's more emotional investment in a show that's been on for a few years vs a few weeks

:beli: Let's be real, they should'be done a Suicide Squad Spin-off instead of Flash spin-off.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
anyone else talk to people who think gotham is so groundbreaking w/ its format and you try to explain arrow is on its 3rd year of doing this shyt and get sidestepped?

...yeah, me either :dry:

I know plenty of people who wouldn't give Arrow a chance because they swear he's a Batman knockoff... with arrows.

:yeshrug: That's how Green Arrow started off in the Comics though, being a Batman knockoff. So "Arrow" being a TV show knock-off of the Nolan Batman movies is technically being true to the comics.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
finally caught up :whew:

watched 25 episodes in the last 3 days and it was kinda rough...especially the first half of season 2

had to do it tho since i already started Flash and i know some crossover episodes are coming

fukking Laurel was unbearable and then when she stops being annoying as fukk Thea starts being annoying as fukk

why does every show have to have these these annoying ass females bytching about everything.You would think they would atleast leave that type of shyt out of a superhero show :snoop:

the last 5/6 episodes of season 2 was crack tho :whoo:

this show could be even better if they cut the episodes down some(maybe 15 episodes).23 is just too many for non procedural shows IMO
:dahell: The 1st half of Season 2 is what finally sold me on the show. I hope you meant the 1st half of Season 1,

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
:dahell: The 1st half of Season 2 is what finally sold me on the show. I hope you meant the 1st half of Season 1,
naw i meant season 2

Sara and Laurel were horrible breh,almost made me give up on the show

Thea was terrible in the 2nd half of season 2 but atleast the story was alot better by then

season 1 was better IMO

season 2 is alot more CWish and it looks like season 3 gonna be the same

the show is slowly but surely turning into a primetime soap opera :scusthov:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
finally caught up :whew:

watched 25 episodes in the last 3 days and it was kinda rough...especially the first half of season 2

had to do it tho since i already started Flash and i know some crossover episodes are coming

fukking Laurel was unbearable and then when she stops being annoying as fukk Thea starts being annoying as fukk

why does every show have to have these these annoying ass females bytching about everything.You would think they would atleast leave that type of shyt out of a superhero show :snoop:

the last 5/6 episodes of season 2 was crack tho :whoo:

this show could be even better if they cut the episodes down some(maybe 15 episodes).23 is just too many for non procedural shows IMO

also put a fukking spoiler tag in the thread title...the first 500 posts in this thread is littered with fukking spoilers :scusthov:

man stfu :what:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field

The Coli is the only place I've ever seen where dudes will see a thread titled "TV OR MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD", see the shyt is 800 pages and get mad cause the shyt is being discussed.

:heh: how the hell are episodes supposed to be "discussed" without it being discussed!?

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The Coli is the only place I've ever seen where dudes will see a thread titled "TV OR MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD", see the shyt is 800 pages and get mad cause the shyt is being discussed.

:heh: how the hell are episodes supposed to be "discussed" without it being discussed!?
im not talking about posts talking about the episodes

im talking about all them them copy & paste posts from satam that talk about who got hired to play what part and what role the character will have etc.

i already know who killed Sara based on one of those posts i read

also know some other shyt thats gonna happen this season from another one i read and there also some Flash spoilers too