Essential The Official "All Things One Piece" Thread (The Final Saga Has Started))

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I think Egghead is the best arc in the franchise. Hit after hit and reveal after reveal. We got Strawhats vs Elders, Kuma backstory and more. Then there’s the stuff off the island like Koby punching the shyt out giant dudes and Garp vs Aokiji. I honestly have no complaints and find the arc moves at a brisk pace especially compared to Wano.

Honestly I have no idea what you could want and if you find Egghead has bad pacing I don’t know what would make things better for you because given the sheer amount of characters, story, and content I don’t see how it could possibly be improved.

:yeshrug:

How you think Wano (especially the raid) pacing is better than Egghead) seems crazy to me but you do you.
I think part of it is that there were a bunch of breaks splitting up the release schedule. I'm guessing the pacing will feel a lot better when we can binge read the whole arc. But going weekly, we've had a lot of breaks that made the distractions (like Vegapunk's random ten-minute coffee break) feel worse than they might otherwise.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
The Godfather & T2 had subpar scenes. Nas, Jay, Tupac, and Big have had bad to mid tracks. Brady has had terrible games. Michael Jordan has thrown bricks but ANY criticism of One Piece is treated like sacrilege to a select few and I don't understand it.

Scratch that, I do understand it because you're gatekeeping stans, not objective fans capable of seeing all sides of a thing. THIS is why the One Piece fanbase gets the unjustified stigma it does and it's sad to see a handful of Beyhive minded people fukk it up for normal folk but there it is. 99% of the brehs know I'm not talking about them and will laugh and KIM but if you're always on the scene posting a rebuttal of any and every critique, real or imagined/justified or unfair, with Oda's dikk imprint showing down your throat, this one is for you.

Do better. :ufdup:

Just because I think Egghead is just fine doesn’t mean I’m on Oda’s dikk. In that very post I criticized the Wano raid which shows the opposite of your claim I don’t criticize Oda. The ending of Wano was mired in subpar storytelling that required the anime to fix the cracks. All that buildup only for the ending to Wano to end in a very unsatisfactory manner including the extremely poor Yamato pivot and talking to Luffy off screen. I also thought Dressrosa pacing was too much during its release and for the first time ever I took a year long break from One Piece to let the chapters catch up.

But nope, you assume I’m a complete fanboy that thinks One Piece is perfect when it isn’t. In fact the prior poor pacing of Dressrosa and Wano is precisely why I think it’s absurd to say Egghead is poorly paced. Egghead is far more brisk in comparison.

How is Egghead poorly paced? It ain’t. Every chapter is moving the story forward versus months of Wano raid and dudes fighting on a roof. Luffy vs Kizaru took what, one chapter? If you know anything about One Piece pacing you’d know that’s lightweight and here you are saying Egghead has bad pacing? Sheeeeit. The point isn’t that One Piece doesn’t have flaws. It does. But your criticism is aimed at Egghead? Did you read Dressrosa when it was going on? I’m guessing you didn’t. This is why I find the claim Egghead has bad pacing is absurd. Because I’ve been reading this series so long and have read far worse paced arcs than this.

If you think Egghead is bad in pacing this only shows you mostly likely are a new manga reader and used to having content in bulk and never caught up before so you’re not used to reading One Piece on a weekly schedule and never experienced Dressrosa coliseum battle introducing 9999 characters live. So when you experience the manga current week to week it feels badly paced to you when really those of us in the trenches have experienced way worse.

I think part of it is that there were a bunch of breaks splitting up the release schedule. I'm guessing the pacing will feel a lot better when we can binge read the whole arc. But going weekly, we've had a lot of breaks that made the distractions (like Vegapunk's random ten-minute coffee break) feel worse than they might otherwise.
This is why words matter then. The release schedule and month long breaks is what’s killing the pace. Not the actual arcs pace itself.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Just because I think Egghead is just fine doesn’t mean I’m on Oda’s dikk. In that very post I criticized the Wano raid which shows the opposite of your claim I don’t criticize Oda. The ending of Wano was mired in subpar storytelling that required the anime to fix the cracks. All that buildup only for the ending to Wano to end in a very unsatisfactory manner including the extremely poor Yamato pivot and talking to Luffy off screen. I also thought Dressrosa pacing was too much during its release and for the first time ever I took a year long break from One Piece to let the chapters catch up.

But nope, you assume I’m a complete fanboy that thinks One Piece is perfect when it isn’t. In fact the prior poor pacing of Dressrosa and Wano is precisely why I think it’s absurd to say Egghead is poorly paced. Egghead is far more brisk in comparison.

How is Egghead poorly paced? It ain’t. Every chapter is moving the story forward versus months of Wano raid and dudes fighting on a roof. Luffy vs Kizaru took what, one chapter? If you know anything about One Piece pacing you’d know that’s lightweight and here you are saying Egghead has bad pacing? Sheeeeit. The point isn’t that One Piece doesn’t have flaws. It does. But your criticism is aimed at Egghead? Did you read Dressrosa when it was going on? I’m guessing you didn’t. This is why I find the claim Egghead has bad pacing is absurd. Because I’ve been reading this series so long and have read far worse paced arcs than this.

If you think Egghead is bad in pacing this only shows you mostly likely are a new manga reader and used to having content in bulk and never caught up before so you’re not used to reading One Piece on a weekly schedule and never experienced Dressrosa coliseum battle introducing 9999 characters live. So when you experience the manga current week to week it feels badly paced to you when really those of us in the trenches have experienced way worse.

This is why words matter then. The release schedule and month long breaks is what’s killing the pace. Not the actual arcs pace itself.
I’m pretty sure you meant to quote someone else on that first half. But for sake of clarity, I was co-signing your take by saying the only (or ant least biggest) issue with the pacing is that there longer breaks between releases than fans are typically used to.

My only complaint about this arc will be if the giant robot does is really dusted like that and does nothing else. It felt like it was meant for something more significant.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
I’m pretty sure you meant to quote someone else on that first half. But for sake of clarity, I was co-signing your take by saying the only (or ant least biggest) issue with the pacing is that there longer breaks between releases than fans are typically used to.

My only complaint about this arc will be if the giant robot does is really dusted like that and does nothing else. It felt like it was meant for something more significant.
Oops yeah I added you by accident

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
No new chapter??
spoilers are out. it'll drop soon

More details of the chapter by redon. Very short chapter of 13 pages.

• Chapter 1,118: "Be free" ("3" in japanese).
  • Ogre Child Yamato's Golden Harvest Surrogate Pilgrimage, Vol. 8: "Yamato leaves the Flower Capital while is eating a bento".
  • Chapter starts where last one ended. We can see that Ancient Giant Robot is sinking under the sea after Warcury's attack. It thinks about Joy Boy while is sinking.
Ancient Giant Robot: "Where are you, Joy Boy? I thought you were here just a moment ago..."
  • After that, we can hear a little bit more of Vegapunk's message, only just his voice from the Special Den Den Mushi.
Vegapunk: "The name is..."
  • Then we can see some reactions around the world about the interruption of Vegapunk's message. In Arabasta we see Kohza and Toto with other citizens.
Kohza: "..."
Arabasta citizens: "Assassination from someone...!? He talked about "sins" didn't he...!! Could it be that he was erased by the World Government... No way, did you guys forget that Vegapunk was held hostage by "Straw Hat Luffy"!! Obviously the pirates are the ones to blame!!"
  • Cut to Whisky Peak, where we can see Mr. 9 and Miss Monday (and their son) with other citizens.
Whisky Peak citizens: "No matter what kind of "sins" he committed, I can't imagine that the World Government would try to kill the world's number one genius over them...!!"
  • In Dressrosa, we see Rebecca and Leo talking about Luffy.
Leo: "So is it Luffyland after all..."
Rebecca: "Of course not!!"
  • Back to Egghead Island. York informs Five Elders that there are still 2 Vegapunks remaining: Lilith and Atlas. York says too that "Punk Records" will continue to grow even after Stella's death.
  • Five Elders decide that their next priority is eliminate the remaining Vegapunks except York.
  • Luffy, Dorry and Brogy reach the shore and jump to Elbaf ship, joining with Bonney, Sanji and Franky.
  • Marines say the giants are just too tough but they can't let them get away when they brought many battleships from Marine HQ to stop them.
  • Bonney turns Vice Admirals Bluegrass and Doll into little girls (and "Sea Beast Weapon" that Bluegrass was riding too), allowing Elbaf ship to set sail.
Doll: "Curse you Bonney...!!"
Bluegrass: "I feel ashamed of my current helplessness... What an absurd ability...!!"
Bonney: "Wouldn't it be a big issue for you if I got away, Marines!?"
  • Luffy greets Oimo and Kashii (that is almost KO due Doll attack from last chapter). Sanji contacts with Nami to tell her they have successfully set sail. Nami tells Sanji they're taking off too (no news about Zoro, Jinbe and Nusjuro in this chapter).
  • While Luffy is in the kitchen eating all food he can find, Mars flies to Elbaf ship and shoots a beam from his mouth. 3 giants put up their shields together to block Mars attack but part of Elbaf ship still catches fire.
  • Suddenly, Luffy returns to "Gear 5" form and gets out of ship to fight again (Luffy's power makes the sea and ships shake). Luffy talks to Bonney.
Luffy: "Bonney!!"
Bonney: "Ah!! Nika!!"
Luffy: "Let's go
Bonney: "It's impossible, I can't do it.."
Luffy: "I don't really understand your power but I know you can do it!!"
  • Bonney remembers when she first met Luffy on Egghead and how Luffy told her that he looks like "Nika" when "he is free".
  • Then Bonney thinks back to Kuma's flashback (when he promised in front of Ginny's grave that he will raise Bonney) and uses "Toshi Toshi no Mi" power to change into "Nika".
Bonney: ""Distortion Future: Watashi Ga Ichiban Jiyū Mirai!!! (: - Distortion Future: The future where I'm most free)"
Luffy: "HyahyaHya!! Way to go Bonney!!!"
Bonney: "I did it!!"
  • In the double page of the chapter, we can see giant Bonney in "Nika form" (with the same pose Luffy has in One Piece Volume 106 cover) along with giant Luffy using "Gear 5" (Luffy is laughing like the first time we saw "Gear 5" in Onigashima).
  • Bonney's transformation is exactly the same as Luffy's: white clouds floating around her neck, white and curly hair, white clothes (except her sash), eyes with ring-like pupils... Marines and giants are surprised seeing them.
Giants: "What is that!? Woah, there are 2 Nikas!!"
Marines: "Are those white giants!?"
  • Warcury and Ju Peter sense a weird presence, so they are hurrying towards Elbaf ship. Luffy and Bonney are ready to face Mars.
Mars: "...!!"
Luffy: "Let's go!!"
Bonney: "Yeah!!"
  • In the final panel of the chapter, we see that Ancient Giant Robot activates again under the sea...
Ancient Giant Robot: "He's here..."

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's the robot saying here? Joy Boy is two people? Bonny is joy boy? He was hoping to see joy boy while luffy was already there but once bonny turned he says ahh there you are..

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
What's the robot saying here? Joy Boy is two people? Bonny is joy boy? He was hoping to see joy boy while luffy was already there but once bonny turned he says ahh there you are..
Luffy stopped being Joy Boy. He just reactivated Joy Boy. Any time Luffy activates Joy Boy the robot has new life. First the heart beat drum woke it up. Then it actually activated. It’s just continuing the same thing. It doesn’t know who is Joy Boy. The drums act as a life force for it and Luffy activated Joy Boy. Nothing more.

Bonney is not Joy Boy but uses the power of imagination.

It’s also arguable that Joy Boy spreads and that’s a big part of its power. After all, Luffy has cartoon-ized multiple people since becoming Joy Boy.