Essential The Official African History Thread

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
Good look on this breh. Didn't know about it. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done. I can't remember who, but someone posted some concept art of another African city....I can't remember what country it was, but I remember shyt looking trill as hell.

Eko-Atlantic-2.jpg

EAC-Pic-6.jpg

You mean Eko Atlantic in Lagos, Nigeria?

Guile

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So is Europe, but you have no issues with them teaching that history though :beli:

All throughout school I learned how Rome and Greece were the beginning of modern civilization. I learned about the military and economic might of the British and French empires. I learned about all the advances in art, science, politics, and economics of the European continent I even learned that Christopher Columbus discovered a country that was already there because he got lost and named the aboriginal people Indians :skip:

The majority of my class mates were neither Roman, Greek, British, nor French. But if I had to guess none of that bothers you huh :cacpls:

Cacs and c00ns hate seeing anything positive about black people :manny:

Oh I don't have anything with learning African history. I'm just saying I won't call it my history.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Art.com breh

EDIT: Hold up. @Hiphoplives4eva you saying you have authentic copies of paintings by Ludwig Deutsch? Or do you mean someone made some recreations and you bought those? I'd imagine those paintings would be expensive as fukk. Earlier I posted I wanted an original Jacob Lawrence, but they wanted 12 racks for that shyt :rudy:

How much you paid for em breh :word:???

Come to find out they're recreations. The painter i bought them from told me that they were his original creations, but it looks like they were copied. I'm furious on just discovering this. I actually bought these from an art gallery from New Orleans. Paid about $400 for the piece on painted on canvas, custom framed.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Come to find out they're recreations. The painter i bought them from told me that they were his original creations, but it looks like they were copied. I'm furious on just discovering this. I actually bought these from an art gallery from New Orleans. Paid about $400 for the piece on painted on canvas, custom framed.

I know right after you left he was like :umad:

How big is the picture though? They gotta 30x40 print of this one for $99 that I wanna cop

1-the-emir-ludwig-deutsch.jpg

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sunday 18th January marks the anniversay of the New Cross House Fire, the blaze killed 13 Young Black People. An arson attack motivated by racism in which no one was ever arrested for or charged, the media demonized the victims as trouble markers having a "noisy party."

RIP to those young Afrikan souls

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Cross_house_fire

_50787539_pa-1873257.jpg

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
I know right after you left he was like :umad:

How big is the picture though? They gotta 30x40 print of this one for $99 that I wanna cop

1-the-emir-ludwig-deutsch.jpg
Its 30X40 as well. It's on Canvas though and has a nice frame. I love the picture immensely, but i'm upset i was lied to. I'll confront the gallery owner next time i'm in new orleans.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Any of y'all know good documentaries or things of that nature to show to a 10 year old Black girl who probably does not know the positive images of her race?

Is there any things like "prince of egypt" to show? I'm long overdue in showing that to my sister and in the process I can drop the bomb on her that although she is from west africa like most african americans.....the pharoahs she learned about in school from east africa were Black

Also it would be good if u guys could help with Ashanti tribes(could tell her about how the singer ashanti may have been named after the tribe), Mandingo. Wolof, Serer, Fula, the Fanti

And the compeli group from liberia that oprah winfrey is descended from and how skilled they were...etc

There is vast vast vast amounts of information on the examples I just listed....the flaw is that they never break it down for the youth on smaller grade levels....with the exception of that popular fantasy book of mansa musa's adventures....

With the ashanti tribe examples I can especially show how they were so respected and how the name became very popular especially for young Black girls.....show her some Ashanti music videos/songs

Once again I would really appreciate it and be grateful if u guys could help me with some other ideas for my 10 year old sister....

Btw the list of tribes I mentioned I got out of malcolm x's autobiography in the "saved" chapter

observe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The Forest Where Hope Died
Any of y'all know good documentaries or things of that nature to show to a 10 year old Black girl who probably does not know the positive images of her race?

Is there any things like "prince of egypt" to show? I'm long overdue in showing that to my sister and in the process I can drop the bomb on her that although she is from west africa like most african americans.....the pharoahs she learned about in school from east africa were Black

Also it would be good if u guys could help with Ashanti tribes(could tell her about how the singer ashanti may have been named after the tribe), Mandingo. Wolof, Serer, Fula, the Fanti

And the compeli group from liberia that oprah winfrey is descended from and how skilled they were...etc

There is vast vast vast amounts of information on the examples I just listed....the flaw is that they never break it down for the youth on smaller grade levels....with the exception of that popular fantasy book of mansa musa's adventures....

With the ashanti tribe examples I can especially show how they were so respected and how the name became very popular especially for young Black girls.....show her some Ashanti music videos/songs

Once again I would really appreciate it and be grateful if u guys could help me with some other ideas for my 10 year old sister....

Btw the list of tribes I mentioned I got out of malcolm x's autobiography in the "saved" chapter

observe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The Forest Where Hope Died
This really isn't the shyt they show on PBS and CNN

Yup,.you grew up thinking that african people lived in huts or shanty towns from television and National geographic magazines,,.I always wondered about that..I forgot the number, but I think like 90% or more Africans in Africa live in cities..even tho I do like to learn about Tribes and wild animals...but if thats all the media is showing then it's fukked up and it's actually a fukking lie..I'm sure more than 95% of the people in America have this preconceived notion from being conditioned with images that show us in the worst situations in poor environments...it's white supremacy ...

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there is sooooooo many books, vids, workshops aimed at young children, if you llived in london I could put you on

The only advice I can give is search for african book stores in your area and what not.

There is seriously so much out there regarding black liberation, its just not advertisied well for obvious reasons. Its more like a closed community mainly due to the average black person not giving a ____