The Official 2024 MLB Season Thread

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
In hindsight , that 8-year 100 million contract Acuña took doesn’t sound like a bad decision now .

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
MLB is in a bad spot, to me. There's eight teams with terrific records and the other 22 are basically .500 or worse.

The league batting average across the sport is .240 right now; OPS is .699.

I don't want to hear how amazing pitching is as the reason few people can hit. I believe there's a talent and coaching problem.
MLB has been top heavy for a minute now in the recent years. And usually most of those teams are in big markets and/or are willing to spend.

As far as offense being down, many analytical scouting and recent changes also contribute imo. Baserunners can't really steal signs anymore with radio relays. Each scouting department knows exactly the holes in each hitters swings and areas the ptichers need to stay away from. Hitters still need to guess on a lot of pitches. Even the pitch clock which initially helped offenses, has also helped pitchers by eliminating all the fukkery of stepping out of the box and adjusting the gloves to fukk with the pitcher.

I don't think it's the coaching, really. In-game coaching doesn't matter as much in baseball as people would like to think. You could argue analytics also assign a ton of value to the hr which devalues situational hitting and so then coaches spend more time on exit velocity perfection than situational defensive swings or whatnot.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
MLB is in a bad spot, to me. There's eight teams with terrific records and the other 22 are basically .500 or worse.

I don't want to hear how amazing pitching is as the reason few people can hit. I believe there's a talent and coaching problem.
But there are 19 teams who are either in first place or within 9.5 games of first….playoff races sell tickets and keep fans engaged. This level of parity is actually good. It makes us tense even if we’re in first place, but it keeps the 3rd place fans engaged too

Daps
Reppin
NYC

I made a post about this in here, or last year's thread, I don't remember.
But basically Keith Hernandez (I believe) said that expansion in the 90s is to blame for all this subpart talent you see all around the league.
You can go club to club and point out at least 3-4 players that aren't MLB quality.
It's a talent problem in my humble opinion.

:hubie:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I made a post about this in here, or last year's thread, I don't remember.
But basically Keith Hernandez (I believe) said that expansion in the 90s is to blame for all this subpart talent you see all around the league.
You can go club to club and point out at least 3-4 players that aren't MLB quality.
It's a talent problem in my humble opinion.

:hubie:
You need those extra bodies especially in relief due to starters getting more pu$$y every year

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
The cubs done fell all the way off but they sucked in may last year too hope they get hot like last season

Danny jansen from Toronto is a cat they should try to acquire. That would be a major upgrade at C on offense & defense