The Official 2024 MLB Season Thread

Trips

Superstar
Daps
I preface that i'm an Analyst at my job, so I love numbers and spreadsheets and all that shyt. And yet some of these managers piss me off so much.

Rocco Baldelli is an analytics purist. Max Kepler is literally one of the best hitters for the Twins right now and he keeps platooning him against lefties. The dude had like a 14 or 16 game hit streak, but he breaks it up for a lefty and now Kepler hasn't been as consistent. Kepler is actually crushing lefties this year and he's still benching him every time. Like how do they expect these guys to ever get better if they never get to see it. So frustrating to watch stuff like this.

Marmol on Friday I think it was saw Kyle Gibson struggle through 6, had his team with the lead, perfect time to turn it over to the bullpen, but nope analytics said Gibson only threw 80 pitches trot him back out there. Gibson immediately gets smacked and then he's out and the reliever is out to damage control and boom 2 runs on the board.

:snoop:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I preface that i'm an Analyst at my job, so I love numbers and spreadsheets and all that shyt. And yet some of these managers piss me off so much.

Rocco Baldelli is an analytics purist. Max Kepler is literally one of the best hitters for the Twins right now and he keeps platooning him against lefties. The dude had like a 14 or 16 game hit streak, but he breaks it up for a lefty and now Kepler hasn't been as consistent. Kepler is actually crushing lefties this year and he's still benching him every time. Like how do they expect these guys to ever get better if they never get to see it. So frustrating to watch stuff like this.

Marmol on Friday I think it was saw Kyle Gibson struggle through 6, had his team with the lead, perfect time to turn it over to the bullpen, but nope analytics said Gibson only threw 80 pitches trot him back out there. Gibson immediately gets smacked and then he's out and the reliever is out to damage control and boom 2 runs on the board.

:snoop:
I understand.

On the other hand, Kepler has been pretty bad against lefties for his career so his early success might not be for real.
Few lefties hold their own against lefthanded pitching.

Freddie Freeman and Corey Seager are two that come to mind.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

be nice if more of these left the park

Yeah Cruz swings hard.
He's just striking out more than projected.

Part of that is his long swing. He's basically Aaron Judge playing shortstop. But part of it is plate discipline. Oneil Cruz chases a lot of bad pitches.
Teaching plate discipline is difficult. Most guys just don't have it, but if the Pirates can get him to be more selective at the plate they would have a superstar.