The Official 2024 MLB Season Thread

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Bob Uecker is 90 years old and still announcing baseball games for the Milwaukee Brewers.
What a treasure.

I don't want to say that Uecker is unknown or disrespected but I find it strange that he doesn't seem to get the same kind of love or recognition these days for his broadcasting career. He had his moments back in the day with Miller Lite commercials and the Major League movies. But by and large he's flown under the radar.

Vin Scully was getting praise for like 30 years before he finally retired and they talked about him being this all-time great, and perhaps deservedly so (though he wasn't really my cup of tea).

John Sterling for the Yankees retired last month and honestly, I didn't like him at all. I thought he was terrible. Listening to him and Suzyn Waldman on the radio was one of the worst parts of being a Yankees fan. I'd rather just get the plain box scores. But that's just my opinion.

I just wanted to shout out Bob though

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've bashed the Lindor contract a lot.

In his defense, he's got a .201 BABIP so far so he's probably been somewhat unlucky.
Not that it matters in the big picture because the Mets roster just is not that good. And even Pete Alonso appears to be much more of an above-average hitter/All Star... than an actual MVP-caliber superstar..

WhatsGoodTy

Ya feel me
Daps

In his defense, he's got a .201 BABIP so far so he's probably been somewhat unlucky.
Not that it matters in the big picture because the Mets roster just is not that good. And even Pete Alonso appears to be much more of an above-average hitter/All Star... than an actual MVP-caliber superstar..
I’m praying when we got our ace back they get it together. They just swing at too many bad pitches. The crazy thing is we suck everywhere else but have a great bullpen.
👼
😇

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando

We just need to clean up shop. That clubhouse got bad mojo.

- Somebody's gonna offer a haul for Pete. Move him.

- Someone will take McNeil, as a former batting champ. Someone in a smaller market. And he'll fukkin thrive :martin:

- If I'm Cohen.. I'm looking for takers for Lindor. Obviously that contract is hideous, but if he picks up say half(?) of it, he can get out from under it I think. I just dont think Lindor's built for a big market. Which is sad cause dude was my favorite shortstop in the league when he was on Cleveland.

- Marte's gonna be gone at the deadline, and I hate it. Cause he's my favorite Met right now. But he deserves to go to a contender.

- JD Martinez is gonna be gone at the deadline.

- Get Omar Narvaez off my fukkin team.

Build around Nimmo, Vientos (throw him on first once Pete is gone), Alvarez, Senga, Scott, and the young cats that are knockin on the MLB door.

This team got all around bad vibes to em.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Bob Uecker is 90 years old and still announcing baseball games for the Milwaukee Brewers.
What a treasure.

I don't want to say that Uecker is unknown or disrespected but I find it strange that he doesn't seem to get the same kind of love or recognition these days for his broadcasting career. He had his moments back in the day with Miller Lite commercials and the Major League movies. But by and large he's flown under the radar.

Vin Scully was getting praise for like 30 years before he finally retired and they talked about him being this all-time great, and perhaps deservedly so (though he wasn't really my cup of tea).

John Sterling for the Yankees retired last month and honestly, I didn't like him at all. I thought he was terrible. Listening to him and Suzyn Waldman on the radio was one of the worst parts of being a Yankees fan. I'd rather just get the plain box scores. But that's just my opinion.

I just wanted to shout out Bob though

Wait…..the actual play by play guy from Major Leagues is the real announcer for the Brewers?! :ohhh:

Did he carry the same announcing style to Milwaukee from the movie as well? Dude was hilarious in both part 1 & 2 (we don’t talk about 3 :ufdup: )

That’s pretty awesome he’s been announcing for so long, he better be put into the Cooperstown. :ufdup:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Wait…..the actual play by play guy from Major Leagues is the real announcer for the Brewers?! :ohhh:

Did he carry the same announcing style to Milwaukee from the movie as well? Dude was hilarious in both part 1 & 2 (we don’t talk about 3 :ufdup: )

That’s pretty awesome he’s been announcing for so long, he better be put into the Cooperstown. :ufdup:
Lol
Bob Uecker is in the Hall of Fame.

I'm just saying that people have kinda forgotten about him in recent years.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
This may sound crazy but I've always said Lindor looks like a 4-5 year/$60M - $80M type player (under "normal" market conditions), no more no less, but with the inflated free agency market he somehow got 12/$341M. You're talking about "24 year old Alex Rodriguez with the Seattle Mariners playing SS" type contract/money. Cohen had to make a big signing and he paid the price.

I heard the Mets also offered Pete something like 7 years/$158M and Pete turned it down. Of course he won't sign anything unless its something like 14 years/$470M, some type of looney contract along those lines because of the sh*t free agency market we're in. I was all for giving Pete the extension but not at that cost, trade him or let him walk.

:manny:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Lol
Bob Uecker is in the Hall of Fame.

I'm just saying that people have kinda forgotten about him in recent years.
Until today I had no clue he was an actual professional and just thought he was the actor who voiced the Major Leagues announcer.

He was damn good in that movie so I can only imagine him doing play by play.

Brewers were in our division but even on away games we got our broadcast and not the Brewers so I had no clue :manny:

WhatsGoodTy

Ya feel me
Daps
Here is a cool site if you’re like me and have no time to watch the games live.
👼
😇

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
This may sound crazy but I've always said Lindor looks like a 4-5 year/$60M - $80M type player (under "normal" market conditions), no more no less, but with the inflated free agency market he somehow got 12/$341M. You're talking about "24 year old Alex Rodriguez with the Seattle Mariners playing SS" type contract/money. Cohen had to make a big signing and he paid the price.

I heard the Mets also offered Pete something like 7 years/$158M and Pete turned it down. Of course he won't sign anything unless its something like 14 years/$470M, some type of looney contract along those lines because of the sh*t free agency market we're in. I was all for giving Pete the extension but not at that cost, trade him or let him walk.

:manny:

Alonso will be 30 next season he ain’t gettin that or anything close, he might get 200-250 cuz he’s a power hitter. Soto is the only guy who will get that type of contract

Them boras clients gonna keep losing dough holding out for his ridiculous demands. Mets gonna trade him by the deadline

Trips

Superstar
Daps
I understand.

On the other hand, Kepler has been pretty bad against lefties for his career so his early success might not be for real.
Few lefties hold their own against lefthanded pitching.

Freddie Freeman and Corey Seager are two that come to mind.
I understand he has really bad splits historically. I still though just feel that when I guy has shown they have a decent hit tool, or are in the middle of a hitting streak like he was. Why not let it play out. Especially when you consider that in most cases he's sitting him for Manny Margot who in my opinion doesn't light the world on fire.

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
Lookin at the standings Phillies up 6 in the nl east :ohhh:

Dodgers got west on lock , every other division close.the wild cards aren’t close in either league except the 3rd spot