The Official 2024 MLB Season Thread

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
That Lopez cat who threw his glove in the crowd when he was on the Mets then got cut, cubs signed him and he’s been solid

Dude just struck out vlad jr with 3 nasty sliders to save the game :wow:I prefer anybody over bum ass neris

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Ozzie Smith crossed my mind today and that got me thinking about Omar Vizquel as well since one of them is in the Hall and the other isn't. Character issues aside, I'm curious to read some opinions on why Omar isn't in the Hall since Ozzie got in because of his defense. Both were trash offensively but there's probably a case that Omar is the second greatest defensive SS.

If Ozzie played in the 90s with A-Rod, Jeter and Nomar, I don't think he would have gotten in and his WAR definitely would not be 70 for his career.

Thoughts, @Remote ?

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ozzie Smith crossed my mind today and that got me thinking about Omar Vizquel as well since one of them is in the Hall and the other isn't. Character issues aside, I'm curious to read some opinions on why Omar isn't in the Hall since Ozzie got in because of his defense. Both were trash offensively but there's probably a case that Omar is the second greatest defensive SS.

If Ozzie played in the 90s with A-Rod, Jeter and Nomar, I don't think he would have gotten in and his WAR definitely would not be 70 for his career.

Thoughts, @Remote ?
Ozzie was special defensively.

I think Ripken/Arod/Jeter/Nomar changed the prototype for the position and that probably hurt Vizquel. It probably hurt Whitaker too since he came up just before that...though he played 2B.

I'm not sure Vizquel would be a clear HOFer even without those other guys. In any era he'd be a borderline guy. But I will admit I liked watching him.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Ozzie was special defensively.

I think Ripken/Arod/Jeter/Nomar changed the prototype for the position and that probably hurt Vizquel. It probably hurt Whitaker too since he came up just before that...though he played 2B.

I'm not sure Vizquel would be a clear HOFer even without those other guys. In any era he'd be a borderline guy. But I will admit I liked watching him.
It's interesting you mention Ripken because he came into the league just four years after Ozzie. I just think if Ozzie came up a decade later, he'd be remembered as a novelty instead of a Hall of Famer. He played during a really weak era offensively. STL's '82 World Series team had 67 home runs as a TEAM. Their '85 team had 87.

I'm glad you mentioned Lou even though he was a second baseman. It's funny he has a career WAR of 75, higher than Trammell, and he's not in the Hall.