The Official 2024 College Football Random Thoughts Thread

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Also RE: Franklin

I still subconsciously look at the landscape of CFB as having Saban, Harbaugh, and urban in the picture when Urban has been out of the game for a min, and Saban and Harbaugh is gone now.

That'll give some coaches a chance to move up and fill those voids. Franklin could be one who does. But some of the others I mentioned could also fill them.

At the end of the day, there can really only be 2-3 elite coaches at a time imo.

Fair take, but PSU was struggling vs Michigan & Harbaugh even before Mich hit their stride the last 3 years. He beat OSU once, then still ended up losing the rose bowl. And ppl keep saying how Ryan Day isn't elite, yet Franklin has never beat him yet either. PSU's schedule usually only has 2-3 big games every year, and he seems to only go 1-3 or 0-2 in those games. .500 bowl record. I say all of this to say, I don't think he'll step up to be that elite level coach, they'll be good, but not title contender good.

Daps
Reppin
Chi

This is wild

Absolute trash football program. Their alum take it as a joke b/c they're a "hoops school" yet they havent been to a sweet 16 in over a decade.

fukking PURDUE made a big ten title game and gave Mich a scare, they beat urban at Ohio St. No reason IU can't field a Univ. of Toledo caliber team.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
All the best programs in the B1G the past decade :russ:
Of course, but PSU is supposedly a top 10 all time program, they should be be more competitive vs. OSU and MI, they should be easily better than MSU, IA & WI. They're 10-2 U for a reason and it's b/c they just don't win the big games, that's their ceiling. They're schedule is VERY favorable this year with no MI, no OR, OSU at home, and at USC as the big games....yet they'll manage to drop both of those games and probably lose to either at WI or at WVU. If they're going to make the playoffs, this is their year to make a legit run while the other title powers are re-tooling

Dem313wayz

Superstar
Daps
Of course, but PSU is supposedly a top 10 all time program, they should be be more competitive vs. OSU and MI, they should be easily better than MSU, IA & WI. They're 10-2 U for a reason and it's b/c they just don't win the big games, that's their ceiling. They're schedule is VERY favorable this year with no MI, no OR, OSU at home, and at USC as the big games....yet they'll manage to drop both of those games and probably lose to either at WI or at WVU. If they're going to make the playoffs, this is their year to make a legit run while the other title powers are re-tooling

PSU should dominate with all the high school football talent in their backyard and they recruit the DMV area and Jersey

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Fair take, but PSU was struggling vs Michigan & Harbaugh even before Mich hit their stride the last 3 years. He beat OSU once, then still ended up losing the rose bowl. And ppl keep saying how Ryan Day isn't elite, yet Franklin has never beat him yet either. PSU's schedule usually only has 2-3 big games every year, and he seems to only go 1-3 or 0-2 in those games. .500 bowl record. I say all of this to say, I don't think he'll step up to be that elite level coach, they'll be good, but not title contender good.

Look i get what @Silkk is saying, it’s crazy to ding a coach for losing to two of the better teams in his conference, because they alone could handle 90-95% of the rest of cfb, but where all of us are pushing back is, both teams aren’t rivals so it’s never any extra in it, it’s not at the end of the season so teams have not hit their strides (good and bad) but also team should be healthy still, and they paying this man a lot to not lose to those two. I can even appreciate the irony of saying something has to give because that was literally harbaugh, but i think what helps his case ultimately is it cost too much to get rid of him and who tf would you get that’s better ??

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Look i get what @Silkk is saying, it’s crazy to ding a coach for losing to two of the better teams in his conference, because they alone could handle 90-95% of the rest of cfb, but where all of us are pushing back is, both teams aren’t rivals so it’s never any extra in it, it’s not at the end of the season so teams have not hit their strides (good and bad) but also team should be healthy still, and they paying this man a lot to not lose to those two. I can even appreciate the irony of saying something has to give because that was literally harbaugh, but i think what helps his case ultimately is it cost too much to get rid of him and who tf would you get that’s better ??
PSU says OSU is their biggest rival. That's their big game every year. They're old rivals (Pitt, WVU) don't really matter since like 1993

DropTopDoc

Daps
Reppin
Absolute trash football program. Their alum take it as a joke b/c they're a "hoops school" yet they havent been to a sweet 16 in over a decade.

fukking PURDUE made a big ten title game and gave Mich a scare, they beat urban at Ohio St. No reason IU can't field a Univ. of Toledo caliber team.

They had something good with Allen early on, the issue is recruiting pool and money, well the new guy got the nil rockin apparently so they will start to go after kids, but it’s a hard place to win, and Purdue has had way more success than indy

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Bingo

Silkk

Daps
PSU says OSU is their biggest rival. That's their big game every year. They're old rivals (Pitt, WVU) don't really matter since like 1993

Their big rival :mjlol:

They just started back scheduling Pitt and wvu again so we will see how that goes cuz that was their big rival
I mean….They are though. Doesn’t mean they’re OSU biggest rivals though.

Same way that Bama is LSU’s biggest rival but everyone knows that Auburn is Bama’s biggest rival.

DropTopDoc

Daps
Reppin

no one is trying to run him out of town, but he’s done the most impressive job of never really getting criticism for his short comings, and folks give him grace for vandy, all we saying is the maths different, if you are psu you supposed to beat Indiana Purdue Maryland and the rest of the pips of the conference, folks want to know when do you start beating Gladys Knight ??

DropTopDoc

Daps
Reppin
I mean….They are though. Doesn’t mean they’re OSU biggest rivals though.

Same way that Bama is LSU’s biggest rival but everyone knows that Auburn is Bama’s biggest rival.

They created the rivalry that the other team doesn’t even acknowledge, psu was independent til the 90’s no one in the big ten is like damn psu osu is a hell of a rivalry, at least Bama acknowledged lsu as a rival

Silkk

Daps
no one is trying to run him out of town, but he’s done the most impressive job of never really getting criticism for his short comings, and folks give him grace for vandy, all we saying is the maths different, if you are psu you supposed to beat Indiana Purdue Maryland and the rest of the pips of the conference, folks want to know when do you start beating Gladys Knight ??
You say that like its easy to do though. Before 2021 yall were 1-17 vs them in the last 18 or something.

The only team that even kinda beat Bama consistently was Auburn and that was only like every other time they played them at home.

Nobody aside from Bama is beating UGA often under Kirby.

Those teams are those teams for a reason. Not saying teams should just bend over & take it but beating MFs like them you gotta have the game of your life. Coaching & Playing.