The OFFICIAL 2023 College Football RANDOM THOUGHTS Thread

PREDICT the NATIONAL CHAMPION

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
That was Oklahoma not Oregon State, and yall still moved the ball and scored:hubie:

For all intents & purposes OSU shut yall out :francis:
Oregon State was a 10 win team last year.

In the Cotton Bowl against OU, Trask played.

In the Las Vegas Bowl against Oregon State, Jack Miller, who never started a game in D1 football and had been injured all year, was the starting QB.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
That was an anomoly :comeon:
LOL ok.

I am not saying Napier is the answer but Mullen was on the way out and sinking fast.

That's why he got fired, and why he's not coaching now.

EDIT: Was it also an anomoly when UF gave up 50+ points to a sub .500 Samford in the Swamp the following week? Or the week after that when he let Harry Potter punk and clown him in Missouri?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Oregon State was a 10 win team last year.

In the Cotton Bowl against OU, Trask played.

In the Las Vegas Bowl against Oregon State, Jack Miller, who never started a game in D1 football and had been injured all year, was the starting QB.

i-dont-care-screw-you.gif

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
Is Napier better than Mullen…?
Too soon to tell. Napier is unproven at this level.

In terms of building an infrastructure of a program, yes.

He puts effort into recruiting and seems to be putting effort into the job. Mullen never put effort into recruiting, and stopped putting effort into any aspect of the job in 2021.

Mullen is a better offensive mind, though his philosophy is out of date. Trask forced Mullen to adapt a different one, and to his credit, Mullen did pretty well with him (although Brian Johnson deserves a ton of credit for that as well too...look at Jalen Hurts on the Eagles, Brian Johnson is the real deal). I do believe if Franks never got hurt, Mullen would've been fired halfway in his 3rd season at Florida. That 2019 team was ASS, especially on offense, until Trask took over (despite Mullen doing everything he could to not play him while Franks struggled).

Mullen could not hire a DC worth a damn while at Florida. Will Napier? It's hard to say if last year's defense was so bad because Patrick Toney sucked or because the players were terrible after 4 years of shytty Mullen recruiting and shytty Todd Grantham coaching. Maybe it's a combo of both. But if Napier can hire a defensive staff that can improve the defense, I'll say he's better in that aspect too. He has yet to do that, but he has also yet to prove that he can't do it either. Again, too soon to tell.

All I know is Mullen's last season ended at 5-6, with Greg Knox beating FSU to get them bowl eligible. I truly believe if Mullen didn't get fired after the Mizzou game, that FSU would've beaten them.

Napier just finished 6-7. Pretty much the same as the year before with a harder schedule (Utah is tougher than FAU, FSU was much better in 2022...Mullen's game against Bama was tougher than @ Texas A&M, so that could cancel out one of those games).

We'll see if Napier takes a step forward this year. If he takes a step back, or does about the same, then questions could start being asked.

As of now, he inherited a program that was in terrible shape because the last coach was ass at developing and building a sustainable program and pretty much maintained the status quo on the field while attempting to tear down and rebuild it.

Last edited:

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
He had a bad year breh, shyt happens all the time. B.Kelly went 4-8 at ND and then turned it around again the next season. You can't say he won with Mac's players after all of the success at Miss St he had with his players and the fact that Mac didn't even win with his own players.
He had 2 bad years.

Look at the talent of that 2020 team: Trask, Pitts, Toney, Grimes, etc.

All that talent and he went 8-4. Then he went 5-6.

It was clear that the program was trending in a bad direction under him.

Maybe hiring Napier to replace him was a mistake too, and they should've hired someone else instead. But Mullen had to go.

You can't say he won with Mac's players after all of the success at Miss St he had with his players and the fact that Mac didn't even win with his own players.

What success? Upsetting LSU and Auburn early in the 2014 season to get ranked #1 for a few weeks before ending the season with 4 losses and getting blown out by Paul Johnson's triple option Georgia Tech?

He was a 6-8 win coach at Miss State. Not bad, but nothing special.

Mike Leach beat more ranked teams in 3 years than Mullen did in 10, and that was after inheriting it from Moorhead who fukked the program up, so it can't be said that he rode Mullen's coattails since Moorehead erased whatever good Mullen had done there.

Mullen did pretty good at State, but let's not make it sound like he was some great success there either. He was above average at best.

Last edited:

Osmar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He graduated HS as freshman but will be 17 when he enters college this fall?

Parents held him back?

EDIT: he was homeschooled until he was 16 and took college classes his first year of HS

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
He graduated HS as freshman but will be 17 when he enters college this fall?

Parents held him back?

EDIT: he was homeschooled until he was 16 and took college classes his first year of HS
So where the hell was he playing football before HS?