The Official 2021 NBA Draft Talk Thread

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Who on the "Knicks, Heat, 76ers, Kings, and Rockets" fit better?
I didn’t read the teams just Ingram being on the block. :manny:

It is a random assortment of teams.

Duncan Robinson and Buddy Hield fit better than Ingram. :francis:

Daps
Zion needs to play alongside a big who can shoot the three and anchor the defense. Problem is, there aren't too many of those going around. Which is why it's less about BI or any other player at any of the other spots - the same problems will remain, no matter who you interchange from 1-3.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
at hletic mock draft

1. Detroit Pistons
Cade Cunningham | 6-foot-8, lead ballhandler | 19 years old, freshman | Oklahoma State

No changes here at No. 1 from the mock last week. Regardless of what happens in the next 72 hours, Cunningham is, by far, the odds-on favorite to go No. 1 in the 2021 NBA Draft. Sources across the NBA feel, by far, the most likely outcome is that the Pistons select and keep Cunningham.

Now, as I’ve reported basically since lottery night, the Pistons are undertaking the full process in regard to their impending decision. They have apparently accepted calls — even if they haven’t made those calls themselves — regarding potential deals for the No. 1 overall pick. It would be foolish to just automatically shut down anything that comes in. At the end of the day, I think it would take a team blowing away Detroit with an offer to move up to No. 1.

Still, even if Detroit does end up getting blown away by an offer of some sort, I’d expect it’s still Cunningham who goes No. 1. If Detroit did come to the conclusion that it was comfortable with Jalen Green or Evan Mobley — or even if the Pistons had those guys marginally higher on their board than Cunningham — the most sensible deal remains a slide down to No. 2, where they could pick up a couple of first-round picks and still get the gamechanger they need. It would be pretty stunning to see them choose to slide out of the top group of prospects in this class.

It’s not a done deal, but Detroit taking Cunningham remains the best bet.

Range: No. 1.

2. Houston Rockets
Jalen Green | 6-6 guard | 19 years old | G League Ignite

No change here from last week, either. Green remains the name I’ve heard most with the Rockets. The Rockets desperately need explosive talent, regardless of how it “fits.” There is no discussion of “fit” when you don’t have the guy already on the roster. The Rockets are in desperate need of a centerpiece, and Green is about as good of a scoring prospect as I’ve scouted in the last eight years. He’ll be a 20-plus-point-per-game scorer in his career, with a real chance to be a top-five scorer in the NBA at his peak.

Range: No. 2-3

3. Cleveland Cavaliers
Evan Mobley | 7-0 center | 20 years old, freshman | USC

No changes here, either. Mobley remains the name I’ve gotten most for Cleveland. I don’t think the Cavs are likely to move out of No. 3. And it remains exceedingly unlikely Mobley gets beyond pick No. 3. The Cavs really need defensive ability, and Mobley has a higher defensive upside than anybody in this class. I’m pretty skeptical of the Cavaliers plunking down real cap assets by taking Mobley and then handing fellow center Jarrett Allen a big contract, but I don’t think the Mobley side of the equation is the one that you should stop yourself from doing if you’re Cleveland in this case. He makes perfect sense for them at No. 3 given their needs.

Range: No. 2-3

4. Toronto Raptors
Jalen Suggs | 6-5 guard | 20 years old, freshman | Gonzaga

OK, this is where the fun starts. Suggs remains the likely choice here, but I don’t think this is done by any stretch. As I wrote last week, the Raptors have really looked into other players here, including Scottie Barnes and Jonathan Kuminga. Sources around the league have also noted the Raptors have been willing participants in trade discussions. There is a thought that the Raptors really like Mobley. But they would have to move up to get him — where they’d likely have to pay a significant asking price from Houston or Cleveland. Call me skeptical they’re willing to meet that asking price.

So yeah, I’ve got Suggs here. I think it’s still the most likely outcome. But this is the spot I’m looking at right now as to where the draft surprises could start. He would be a perfect fit with this roster, the kind of high-upside potential star the team needs to build around moving forward. It’s hard to imagine a better fit in the backcourt with Fred VanVleet than him due to his athleticism and defensive prowess. With Suggs, the Raptors would be a center away from building one of the best defensive teams in the NBA, plus one that has legitimate on-ball creation. But I also understand that I’m generally higher on Suggs than the industry at large, having him at No. 2 on my personal board.

Range: Nos. 4-5

5. Orlando Magic
Scottie Barnes | 6-9 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Florida State

No changes here for the Magic. I noted in the previous mock that Barnes is seen by the NBA as much more likely to be the selection here at No. 5 than Kuminga. Sources also believe that if the Raptors go off the board and select Barnes, then Suggs would be the likely pick at No. 5. Having said that, for some teams, it wouldn’t really be off the board. Multiple teams I’ve spoken with actually have Barnes as a top-four prospect in this class, ahead of Suggs or Green. He fits everything this Orlando front office looks for, as they love players who have elite positional size and length in addition to high character. I’d anticipate Barnes being off the board somewhere between picks No. 4 and 5, with an outside shot of No. 6.

Range: Nos. 4-6

6. Oklahoma City Thunder
James Bouknight | 6-5 wing | 20 years old, sophomore | Connecticut

As I wrote last week, Bouknight has been seen as the most likely player to crash into the top six. At that time, I felt like it was basically a toss-up on Kuminga versus Bouknight based on the intel, as sources indicated the Thunder have been high on Bouknight throughout the pre-draft process. At this point, it feels much more likely to be Bouknight over Kuminga given the opinion of sources around the league. Having said that, the Thunder are a notoriously secretive front office, so it’s possible there could be some smokescreening in regard to preferences. There will also be trade discussions here, as the Thunder are seen league-wide as a team that wants to move up in the draft order. But Bouknight has increased his standing league-wide with a terrific pre-draft process where he’s convinced teams about his shooting acumen despite substandard numbers in college due to contextual situations.

I would anticipate Bouknight hears his name called either at No. 6 or at No. 7, with an outside shot of reaching No. 8. I’d be stunned if he got beyond there.

Range: Nos. 6-8

7. Golden State Warriors (via MIN)
Jonathan Kuminga | 6-7 wing/forward | 18 years old | G League Ignite

This is another inflection point of the draft, along with No. 4. League sources are still a bit unclear as to how the Warriors feel about Kuminga in comparison to some of the other players purported to be high on their board, including Bouknight, Moses Moody and Josh Giddey. Bouknight is seen as the favorite at this point to go No. 7 if he were to get to this spot. If he’s gone, this gets a bit more complicated. I’ve gone with Kuminga here, but this is a bit more speculative than the first few picks in this class. Kuminga would absolutely be the highest-upside asset if the Warriors are looking to try to go star-hunting. He’s a legitimate shot creator. But his downside is much greater than that of Bouknight or Moody, as he’s not a particularly good shooter or defender right now despite athleticism that would make you think he should be.

If Kuminga isn’t picked here, he has a chance to fall to No. 10 or 11, even. The range is a bit wider than you’d think.

Range: Nos. 6-11

8. Orlando Magic (via CHI)
Moses Moody | 6-6 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Arkansas

Moody has been a top-11 guy within my mock drafts since March, and that doesn’t change. Simply put, the feedback on Moody from teams has been very strong throughout the year, and it remains strong. Teams see his 3-and-D potential as being extremely safe. Additionally, there are some teams that believe he has some real shot-creation upside given that he’s only 19 years old and extremely skilled. He fits Orlando perfectly. He fits the Magic’s preferences of a player that has great positional size and length and fills a real need as a shooter. I’d be pretty blown away if he got outside of the lottery, given that the Warriors like him and have No. 14. But I’d consider his mostly range somewhere between No. 7 and 11.

The other names I’ve heard here for Orlando include Franz Wagner and Alperen Sengun. Another name I’ve heard pop up over the last 48 or so hours as a potential surprise pick is Ziaire Williams, with two league sources believing the Magic have the Stanford wing very high on their board — again, something that wouldn’t be all that surprising given the team’s emphasis on positional size, length and character.

Range: Nos. 7 to 14

9. Sacramento Kings
Franz Wagner | 6-9 forward | 19 years old, sophomore | Michigan

This doesn’t change from the most recent mock. I wouldn’t say this pick is a done deal necessarily, as the Kings are thought to be somewhat active in trade discussions. But Wagner is a terrific defender who would go to a team that desperately needs more defensive play. Three things have consistently come up when discussing what the Kings are thinking with sources around the league. First, that they would love to take a bigger wing/forward. Second, that defense is important to them in this pick. And third, that analytics will play a bigger role here than in other situations league-wide, given Monte McNair’s background and ownership’s emphasis on being data-driven. Wagner is the guy that ticks all the boxes there as a 6-foot-9 player with real defensive acumen who is actually younger than quite a few of the one-and-dones in this class. He’s seen as likely at this point to hear his name called somewhere between No. 8 and 10, given the three teams making picks here.

The other name that has come up most often here as being a possible selection is Sengun.

Range: Nos. 8-13

10. Memphis Grizzlies (via NOP)
Josh Giddey | 6-8 wing | 18 years old | Adelaide

A trade! Memphis acquired this pick Monday in a trade with the Pelicans that sent Eric Bledsoe, Steven Adams, No. 10, No. 40 and a top 10-protected 2022 first-round pick from the Lakers for Jonas Valanciunas and Nos. 17 and 51 in this draft. The Pelicans and Grizzlies have been seen as natural trade partners for a little while now, as the Grizzlies have wanted to move up in the draft and the Pelicans have wanted to carve out cap space. From the Grizzlies’ perspective, I’m a bit surprised they decided to move on Valanciunas, who I felt was their most consistent player a season ago and a genuine top-10 center in the league. However, given that he only has one year left on his contract before what is assuredly an expensive contract in the summer of 2022, maybe the Grizzlies felt this was the best time to cash in on his value to accomplish their goal of moving up the board as well as acquiring an additional first-round pick. It’s a reasonable calculation, in my view, especially given that they acquired a ready-made replacement in Adams.

Sources across the league have felt like the Grizzlies have been fans of Giddey throughout the entire process, which is why he slots in as the pick here. The other two names I got when specifically asking whom it could be that they’re moving up for if it’s not Giddey were Wagner and Moody, who came off the board ahead of this spot. It’s exceedingly likely that one of these players is on the board when the Grizzlies pick. I see Giddey’s range as anywhere from No. 7 to No. 13, and don’t be surprised to see another team try to move up into the couple of picks above Memphis to attempt to beat the Grizzlies to the Giddey punch. It’s seen as unlikely he’d get past San Antonio.

11. Charlotte Hornets
Corey Kispert | 6-7 wing | 22 years old, senior | Gonzaga

Texas big man Kai Jones has been connected often with this pick in league circles, but I just can’t get past the idea that it would be a complete zag from everything the Hornets’ front office has done in the past. Look back through their draft history in the Michael Jordan era. Frank Kaminsky, Miles Bridges, Kemba Walker, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Cody Zeller, Devonte’ Graham, Cody Martin, Malik Monk, Vernon Carey, PJ Washington. All of them were elite collegiate producers who were either All-American or borderline All-American choices. The only one that doesn’t line up is Noah Vonleh.

Kispert was an All-American this past season at Gonzaga, and his shooting would be an enormous help for LaMelo Ball in terms of creating space.

Range: Nos. 10-17

12. San Antonio Spurs
Alperen Sengun | 6-10 big | 19 years old, international | Besiktas

Sengun pops off the board here to the Spurs. San Antonio could certainly use more offensive firepower from its frontcourt, and Sengun has the kind of terrific feel for the game as a scorer that would mesh well with the young guards that San Antonio is building around in the frontcourt. The Spurs are thought to be fans also of Kispert and Giddey, but both of them are off the board here.

As referenced above, it’s possible Sengun is off the board by this point, as both Sacramento and Orlando are noted to be big fans. He’s likely to be selected in the lottery.

Range: Nos. 8-16.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
pt 2

11. Charlotte Hornets
Corey Kispert | 6-7 wing | 22 years old, senior | Gonzaga

Texas big man Kai Jones has been connected often with this pick in league circles, but I just can’t get past the idea that it would be a complete zag from everything the Hornets’ front office has done in the past. Look back through their draft history in the Michael Jordan era. Frank Kaminsky, Miles Bridges, Kemba Walker, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Cody Zeller, Devonte’ Graham, Cody Martin, Malik Monk, Vernon Carey, PJ Washington. All of them were elite collegiate producers who were either All-American or borderline All-American choices. The only one that doesn’t line up is Noah Vonleh.

Kispert was an All-American this past season at Gonzaga, and his shooting would be an enormous help for LaMelo Ball in terms of creating space.

Range: Nos. 10-17

12. San Antonio Spurs
Alperen Sengun | 6-10 big | 19 years old, international | Besiktas

Sengun pops off the board here to the Spurs. San Antonio could certainly use more offensive firepower from its frontcourt, and Sengun has the kind of terrific feel for the game as a scorer that would mesh well with the young guards that San Antonio is building around in the frontcourt. The Spurs are thought to be fans also of Kispert and Giddey, but both of them are off the board here.

As referenced above, it’s possible Sengun is off the board by this point, as both Sacramento and Orlando are noted to be big fans. He’s likely to be selected in the lottery.

Range: Nos. 8-16.

13. Indiana Pacers
Davion Mitchell | 6-3 guard | 22 years old, junior | Baylor

This pick doesn’t really change from the previous mock, although it’s worth noting the Pacers are seen as something of a wild card. It’s difficult to get a read on them, much in the same way that it was difficult to get a read on New Orleans at No. 10 prior to them moving the pick in the aforementioned trade. A few sources have noted that they believe the Pacers are somewhat active in trade discussions and could look to move this pick for more veteran help.

If they end up keeping it, Mitchell makes a ton of sense. T.J. McConnell hits free agency this summer after keying the team’s point of attack defense this past season. Mitchell would be a hell of a replacement, coming off a Defensive Player of the Year season at Baylor. He’s also considered a bit more pro-ready than some of the other players in this range. I see Mitchell as likely to come off the board somewhere between No. 11 and No. 14 at this stage, as the Warriors are thought to have some interest with their second lottery pick even if they aren’t quite as interested at No. 7.

Range: Nos. 11-14

14. Golden State Warriors
Chris Duarte | 6-6 guard | 24 years old, senior | Oregon

This pick doesn’t change from the previous mock. With Mitchell off the board, Duarte fills the hope the Warriors have to come away from this draft with someone who could potentially slot into their rotation off the bench early in their career. His ability to shoot and defend would be different from anything else the team currently has in the backcourt off the bench. This is certainly on the higher end for Duarte, but the Warriors would likely need to pick him here if they want to end draft night with him because the Wizards are also thought to be big fans.

Range: Nos. 14-17

15. Washington Wizards
Trey Murphy | 6-9 wing | 21 years old, junior | Virginia

The names most associated with the Wizards in the last few days have been Murphy, Duarte and Kispert — the three shooters for a team that needs shooting more desperately than any other skill set on the roster. Murphy is 6-foot-9 and hit 43 percent from 3 and 95 percent from the foul line this year at Virginia. He really moved up the board for teams a lot in the pre-draft process, going from a player seen as a late first-round pick to someone unlikely to get to pick No. 20.

Range: Nos. 13-19

16. Oklahoma City Thunder (via BOS)
Kai Jones | 6-11 big | 20 years old, sophomore | Texas

OK, this is another inflection point of the draft. All of the top-15 names above, I think, are extremely likely to hear their names called in the top 20. This next group though? They’re seen as real wild cards entering the event. Jones has an extremely wide range of possibilities entering the evening, as he’s thought to be in the mix all the way up at No. 11 with the Hornets. However, precious few teams in this range are looking for big men. And on top of that, Jones is a really polarizing prospect. His upside is real; he’s one of the best athletes in the class. However, some teams have real worries about whether he’ll ever play with the feel for the game necessary for a true big, given his late start to basketball. He could pretty easily fall into the mid-20s.

Range: Nos. 11-24

17. New Orleans Pelicans (via MEM)
Jared Butler | 6-3 guard | 20 years old, junior | Baylor

The Pelicans acquired this pick in the aforementioned deal. I’m a little bit more skeptical on this deal for the Pelicans unless they think two things. First, they have to go get a really good point guard in free agency using this cap space. Second, they have to strongly believe that Valanciunas can be a long-term answer for the team at center next to Zion Williamson. I think that’s a distinct possibility in terms of fit on the court if the team runs a large portion of its half-court offense through Zion. Valanciunas is one of the best screen-and-roll/dribble-hand-off bigs in the NBA because his feel for where to sink and when to roll toward the rim is elite. He can also pick-and-pop a bit. But to make this work, the team would need to find a real answer at point guard.

Honestly, whether this trade makes sense for the Pelicans, in my view, is almost wholly dependent on if they can get Kyle Lowry (or someone like him). If they get Lowry, I think they have a chance to be this year’s version of the Phoenix Suns, skying up the Western Conference hierarchy. If they end up with someone lesser than Lowry to run the point, I think there are some real diminishing returns on the deal, especially given that Valanciunas can be a free agent after the year. Before really evaluating this choice, let’s see what the Pelicans can do in free agency now that they have up to $36 million in space (and yes, I would anticipate Lowry taking up around $30 million of that space if he was to sign there given how many teams with space need point guards). If they don’t end up getting the great guard, I do wonder if the team would have been simply better off just stretching Bledsoe to create some cap space, keeping Adams and keeping the draft capital they moved in this trade for future maneuvering.

In terms of this pick, sources around the league immediately mentioned the older shooters as guys the Pelicans would like to end up with: Kispert, Murphy and Duarte. If none of those guys are available, the pick gets a bit interesting, in my view. I’m not totally sure they’d stay at this pick. If they do, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them take a backcourt flier like Butler or Jaden Springer. Butler is another player whose range is all over the board in the first round due to his having to get clearance from the fitness to play panel for a medical condition. This would be near the top end of it. But his shooting and scoring would really be a strong fit here.

Range: No. 15 to early second round.

18. Oklahoma City Thunder (via MIA)
Ziaire Williams | 6-9 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Stanford

Williams is a tricky guy to try to slot in. He had a tough year at Stanford, as the team lived out of hotels for the first six weeks of the season, then he left the team in the middle of the season due to a death in the family before returning for the final few games. He averaged 13 points, six rebounds and three assists prior to his month-long departure. Still, his inefficiency left a bad lasting impression in most evaluators’ eyes, and he struggled to deal with the physicality of the game at what looked to be about 175 pounds. Still, he’s a really high-upside pick for a team in Oklahoma City that can afford to take high-upside swings like him. Again though, because of the weird season, he’s all over the board for different NBA teams.

Range: Nos. 8-27

19. New York Knicks
Usman Garuba | 6-8 big | 19 years old | Real Madrid

This is a pick that doesn’t change from the previous mock. Tom Thibodeau’s favorite player is Taj Gibson. There are a lot of similarities between Garuba and Gibson, as both are elite defenders positionally. The difference is that Garuba has a bit more athleticism and pop than Gibson ever did and thus has a real chance to be the kind of impact defender it’s worth consistently keeping on the court. Also, the Knicks will be very familiar with Garuba, as he’s repped by CAA. While I do think that connection to the current front office has been slightly overblown, I also believe it’ll help in regard to familiarity with a player they might not have gotten a chance to see overseas this year. He’d also be a good complement to Mitchell Robinson in the frontcourt defensively because they bring different skill sets to the table.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
pt 3

Range: Nos. 12-21

20. Atlanta Hawks
Keon Johnson | 6-5 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Tennessee

Another pick that doesn’t change. Johnson’s range is seen as very wide on draft night. He’ll be in the mix starting in the late lottery on down toward the mid-20s. It’s easy to see why he’s a polarizing prospect for teams. Some love his athletic upside and see him as a real potential offensive playmaker. Others just strongly believe that he’s not going to shoot it, and that he’s a bit too loose with the ball. I’ve heard anywhere from top 10 to mid-20s for Johnson from teams. But unfortunately, someone just kind of has to fall on draft night. In this iteration of the mock, Johnson is one of those fallers. The Hawks can afford to take a flier on a guy here given their depth across all positions of the court.

Range: Nos. 11-24

21. New York Knicks (via DAL)
Jaden Springer | 6-4 guard | 18 years old, freshman | Tennessee

A third straight pick that doesn’t change. I’ve heard two consistent things with the Knicks over the last week. First, they see shot creation as a genuine need, and they’ll look to address it. Second, don’t be surprised if they end up not picking at 19 and 21. I do believe there is some genuine interest there in moving up if they can find the right prospect who falls. Still, Springer would fill that shot-creation ability, and it’s easy to see how Thibodeau would be an enormous fan of the Tennessee product due to his defensive intensity. However, he’s a pretty polarizing prospect, again, due to a very strange season at Tennessee. His range is pretty wide on draft night.

Range: No. 15-29

22. Los Angeles Lakers
Tre Mann | 6-4 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Florida

Duarte is thought to be the guy the Lakers want to fall. I’ve heard some sources discuss that they’ve looked into moving up the board. But it might be tough to do that given their current asset cache. I referenced in the last mock draft that Mann is a player the Lakers are thought to be high on, and it’s easy to see why. They need some shot creation and pull-up shooting ability next to guys like LeBron James and Anthony Davis. They could especially use it off the bench. Mann makes sense as a strong candidate to fill that need, as he’s the best pull-up shooter in the class and has terrific change of pace and direction handle. He needs to really improve on defense, and he could stand to improve as a passer. But if he’s here, the Lakers will give him a long look.

23. Houston Rockets (via POR)
Isaiah Jackson | 6-10 center | 19 years old, freshman | Kentucky

Another relatively wide range, if only due to the fact that he’s a big. I’ve never really bought the lottery hype for Jackson, but teams do like him as an interesting long-term center option. He’s 6-foot-10 with a 7-foot-3 wingspan and all sorts of twitchy explosiveness. He is the prototypical run-and-jump, play-finishing, shot-swatting center prospect and has the athleticism to legitimately do it.

Having said that, these Rockets picks are seen throughout the industry as places for the fallers on draft night to end up — either via the Rockets selecting high-upside players to join their rebuild or via trades, as the team is thought to be active in the trade market with these selections. One thing worth noting in that respect: I wouldn’t be surprised to see this as a spot where a team tries to move up to leap a few teams within the last five picks in order to take Joshua Primo.

24. Houston Rockets (via MIL)
Jalen Johnson | 6-8 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Duke

Speaking of fallers to land with the Rockets here, come on down, Jalen Johnson. I’ve referenced throughout the draft process that his range is extremely wide and that teams are not quite as enamored with him as the previous lottery projections would have had you believe. There has not been a point this season where I had Johnson in the lottery on my personal board. It’s possible he could end up in the latter portion of the lottery if some team like Indiana decides to take a flier, but I think I would be pretty surprised at this point. He does have real skill, and he’s worthy of a first-round pick. But even taking away some of the questions teams have about him and his departures from IMG Academy and Duke over the last couple of years, even Johnson’s game was not particularly awesome this year, given his questionable shooting and lackadaisical defensive effort at times. His range is wide on draft night.

Range: Nos. 12-29

25. LA Clippers
Rokas Jokubaitis | 6-4 lead guard | 20 years old | Zalgiris

A similar pick from the last mock. It’s hard to find genuine early contributors later in the draft, and one avenue open to them given their current contract situation could be to stash a player. Jokubaitis is seen as a strong, creative pick-and-roll guard. He makes live-dribble passes and also has a nice little three-level scoring game off his pull-up repertoire that will translate to playing both on and off the ball. The key for him will be athletic translation and consistently gaining separation, but he plays such an unhurried style of basketball with poise that I think he’ll probably be good on that front to at least carve out a solid bench role in the NBA.

Another avenue that I think makes sense for the Clippers is to trade back into the second round and pick up a couple of picks.

Range: No. 25 to mid-second round

26. Denver Nuggets
Joshua Primo | 6-6 guard | 18 years old, freshman | Alabama

Another pick that remains from last week’s mock. One thing the Nuggets are known for is pre-drafting players they think might be a year away from going much higher in the draft the next season. Primo is a prime pre-draft candidate, and there is even a thought that he could be off the board a bit earlier than this. Still, Denver would be a really strong fit for Primo given how great the organization is developmentally, and given that it has time to spend on him with how deep the Nuggets’ guard rotation is in front of him once his fellow Torontonian Jamal Murray gets healthy.

Range: Nos. 18-30

27. Brooklyn Nets
Cam Thomas | 6-3 guard | 19 years old, freshman | LSU

Thomas is one of the best scorers in this class, but I just can’t quite get a read on what’s going on with him pre-draft. Few teenagers have the kind of scoring instincts Thomas does. He has this innate sense for how to get defenders off balance and has a ridiculous pull-up game that allows him to be constantly on balance himself. He was the fourth-leading scorer in college basketball as a teenager. But his defense is atrocious, and he doesn’t pass. Teams seem a bit apprehensive about him at this point. Even me being a little bit lower on him in general, I think this is probably at the low end of his range, and I wouldn’t be surprised to hear his name called in the teens.

Range: Nos. 17-30

28. Philadelphia 76ers
Miles McBride | 6-2 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | West Virginia

McBride is one of my favorites in this class. He’s lightning-quick laterally and is elite at the point of attack defensively. His game is all about pressure. He attacks the opposing ballhandler, then attacks when he has the ball on offense. When West Virginia switched to more of a four-out offense in the second half of the year, McBride thrived and looked like a potential high-level backup. He could become a starter if his jumper off the bounce continues to come along. This would be an absolutely tremendous pick for the 76ers.

McBride is seen as likely to hear his name called in the last third of the first round and could go a bit higher than this in the 20s. For their part, the 76ers are still seen as a potential threat to trade this pick given that president of basketball ops Daryl Morey has traditionally not always gotten involved in the draft.

Range: Nos. 19-35

29. Phoenix Suns
Sharife Cooper | 6-1 guard | 20 years old, freshman | Auburn

The last similar pick from the mock last week. The good news for the Suns is that they have very few real needs. Backup center is definitely one, but that is easily filled in free agency by myriad options. Backup point guard (and a legitimate option as a long-term point guard of the future for after the Chris Paul era ends) also is a real need given that Cam Payne has made himself quite a bit of money this season with his standout performances. Cooper would be a killer fit here in that regard. He could end up going about 10 spots higher than this on draft night as well. He has a very wide range, and it’s a bit telling that he has not been invited to the NBA Draft Green Room yet.

In regard to Cooper, I believe he’s likely to hear his name somewhere in the back half of the first round. This is on the lower end of his range. He could end up going higher than this, it’s just hard to find the landing spot.

Range: Nos. 19-29

30. Utah Jazz
Ayo Dosunmu | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Illinois

The Jazz need more perimeter defenders and athleticism on the wing. They could also use someone who has a chance to be a helpful player next year. Dosunmu was a first-team All-American, a terrific combo guard for Illinois who also possesses strong leadership qualities and a high character. I’d be surprised to see him get beyond this range.

Range: Nos. 20- 35

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
pt 4 - round 2

Round 2
31. Milwaukee (via HOU): Day’Ron Sharpe | 6-11 center | 19 years old, freshman | North Carolina

32. New York (via DET): Quentin Grimes | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Houston

33. Orlando: Bones Hyland | 6-3 guard | 20 years old | VCU

34. Oklahoma City: Herbert Jones | 6-7 wing |22 years old, senior | Alabama

35. New Orleans (via CLE): Joe Wieskamp | 6-7 wing | 21 years old, junior | Iowa

36. Oklahoma City (via MIN): JT Thor | 6-10 forward | 19 years old | Auburn

37. Detroit (via TOR): Brandon Boston Jr. | 6-7 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Kentucky

38. Chicago (via NO): Austin Reaves | 6-5 guard | 23 years old, senior | Oklahoma

39. Sacramento: Jeremiah Robinson-Earl | 6-10 forward | 20 years old, sophomore | Villanova

40. Memphis (via NOP): Santi Aldama | 6-11 big | 20 years old, sophomore | Loyola (MD)

41. San Antonio: Isaiah Todd | 6-10 big | 19 years old | G League Ignite

42. Detroit (via CHA): Josh Christopher | 6-4 guard | 19 years old, freshman | Arizona State

43. New Orleans (via WAS): Filip Petrusev | 7-0 center | 21 years old | Mega

44. Brooklyn (via IND): Joel Ayayi | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Gonzaga

45. Boston: Jason Preston | 6-4 guard | 22 years old, junior | Ohio

46. Toronto (via MEM): Juhann Begarin | 6-6 wing | 18 years old | Paris

47. Toronto (via GSW): Isaiah Livers | 6-7 wing | 22 years old, senior | Michigan

48. Atlanta (via MIA): Greg Brown | 6-8 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Texas

49. Brooklyn (via ATL): Sandro Mamukelashvili | 6-11 big | 22 years old, senior | Seton Hall

50. Philadelphia (via NYK): David Johnson | 6-5 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Louisville

51. New Orleans (via MEM): Kessler Edwards | 6-8 wing | 20 years old, junior | Pepperdine

52. Detroit (via LAL): Vrenz Bleijenbergh | 6-10 wing | 20 years old | Antwerp

53. New Orleans (via DAL): Aaron Henry | 6-5 wing | 21 years old, junior | Michigan State

54. Indiana (via MIL): Charles Bassey | 6-10 center | 20 years old, junior | Western Kentucky

55. Oklahoma City (via DEN): Neemias Queta | 7-0 center | 21 years old, junior | Utah State

56. Charlotte (via LAC): Justin Champagnie | 6-7 forward | 20 years old | Pittsburgh

57. Charlotte (via BKN): Jericho Sims | 6-10 big | 22 years old, senior | Texas

58. New York (via PHI): Luka Garza | 6-11 center | 22 years old, senior | Iowa

59. Brooklyn (via PHX): Moses Wright | 6-9 big | 22 years old, senior | Georgia Tech

60. Indiana (via UTA): Matthew Hurt | 6-9 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Duke

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Who on the "Knicks, Heat, 76ers, Kings, and Rockets" fit better?

Depends on what kind of team they want to build in NO (seems unclear)

If you want to build the best defensive team in the league you could try to grab Ben and maybe Thybulle (you'll have to give more than just Ingram for that tho) keep Zo, get a defensive C.

If you want to go all in on offense and do a pace and space team, you could try to swing a Kings trade for Hield, Haliburton/Fox, and maybe even Bagley.

If you going for the youth movement then you trade for Hou's #2 pick and draft Green, unload other vets for future picks.

NO has a lot of options.