The media's fascination with mocking black music. Am I reaching here?

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
:stopitslime: nikkas need to know when they and their culture is being insulted.
Nikkas need to know when to not make a black and white issue out of everything. I saw the videos there is no insult to our culture. I know when sh!t is a race issue but the examples of what the Op posted is not one of them..

REdefinition

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's been a joke for some time now.Whites love making fun of black culture. It's just soooooo funny to them.

^ This was Natalie Portman rapping on SNL back in 2006. Of course Andy Samberg was involved, that fukking kike seems to have built his entire career off of this. Everything else he does seems to be a failure or lackluster...his entire career is built off of racist rap "parodies", it's ridiculous.

Whites haven't changed at all, don't ever forget that. This is no different than Al Jolson (Another kike), just without the blackface make-up.

And let me just make it clear : It could have been anything, it could be anything. If black people were associated with punk music, you bet your ass that whites would be on College Humor with green mohaws, spiked leather jackets, and anarchy pins. It's NOT about the attributes of the culture, it's about the people making it.

Also remember : Fags are now off limits. Spics are now off limits. Everyone else is off limits...but it's still cool to put on a durag and parade around as "Slugmaster White".

Final Point : If you really don't think that race is paramount in this issue, let me ask, why are black people (That aren't associated with rap/hiphop in any way) never written or promoted in these types of "parodies"? Why isn't Kerry Washington on SNL as a Nicki Minaj impersonator, why isn't Samuel L. on there poking fun at some of the peculiars of rap culture? Because to the white people writing this shyt, they are ******S just the same. It's impossible for a black person to "parody" this, this is what they ARE, they are the TARGETS of the joke.

Nobody's off limits in the world of comedy and parody. Are you familiar with the gay Stefon character who's basically a mainstay on the show? Not to mention the countless Jewish parodies they do. I don't watch the show too often to know exactly how often these hiphop parodies are done, but to your last point, if they had their Black guests act out ghetto hiphop characters people would call that mocking and racist too. "Oh, why can't Kerry Washington be a Doctor instead of a hood rat or a rapper?!".

I just see it as comedic irony like when Wayne Brady played a thug on the Chapelle Show(which had white writers). The joke is in the IRONY...the fact its clear that's far from who he actually is. The same way its (supposed to be) humorous for a white suburban nerdy person to dress up and pretend to be a cool rapper. The joke isn't that rappers look silly, Its "look how silly I look trying to do this." I will concede that it is possible for whites to mock blacks with these impersonations. But will you admit that is possible that a white person can imitate a black person without a racist or mocking agenda?...like in any scenario? (not asking if you think it happens, but do you think its POSSIBLE?)

Daps
You nikkaz is a bunch of sensitive fakkits :scusthov: y'all whine about everything :wrist:

Damn near every single damn thread on here is either to complain about cacs, or somehow turned into complaining about cacs :why:

And if you dare to call them out on it.....you a cac :why:

shyt ain't even annoying at this point.....now it's just getting old

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
I think a lot of it is self-effacing. White people are mocking just how rhythmless and uncool a lot of them are in contrast with black people, as much as they are seemingly mocking black folks. Cool is a currency and commodity that has been as important as anything in our western mass media. Black folks have largely set the trends --- especially in the past couple of generations. Basically whitey mad. Its a grudging nod of respect, mixed with jealous resentment.

This basically sums up my thoughts exactly when I read the title and the op.

The joke is simply white people aren't cool, black people are cool and hard as they may try, they can't do it as well as us 99% of the time and just end up looking foolish and therein lies the comedy.

It's a well-known comedy trope that has been subverted and lampshaded all throughout comedy. So yes, @Napoleon you are reaching.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
You know what's weird tho, I've always looked at it as them making fun of themselves and how out of place they look in rap culture. I never thought of it as them making fun of rap and black culture, puts a whole new perspective on it. Maybe blacks should start parodying (is this a word?) country and metal.

mozichrome

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You know what's weird tho, I've always looked at it as them making fun of themselves and how out of place they look in rap culture. I never thought of it as them making fun of rap and black culture, puts a whole new perspective on it. Maybe blacks should start parodying (is this a word?) country and metal.

people make parodies of shiit everyday b

but people wanna act sensitive online & get defensive about this