The Mass Effect Game Series- Official thread

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Never played it, but i assume people just liked the jet packs.
Andromeda did bring some new stuff to the table, but what they left off reallllly doesn't get talked about as much.

I've only done two big missions, but already I'm seeing stuff that I forgot I missed. Yanking enemies over kill for instant kills, way better ability combos/reactions (even the physics and pathing is better which really makes no sense to me), the weapons set themselves apart without relying on mod system that's so over designed that everything blends together, etc.

But the enemy factions are worlds apart too. You don't even have to care what you're shooting at in Andromeda. In ME3, a Brute will legit guard its face and walk you into a corner. Engineers will set up turrets while shielded goons cover them - if you're not proactive to get on top of them, they'll take complete control of an area. Marauders will take turns between interacting with their allies and fukking you up. Larger enemies will snatch you right out of a biotic charge and straight up kill you instantly if you run up on them wrong. Its well done for every kind of environment too.

Andromeda was mostly wide open spaces so like..... yeah you got a jetpack for what :dead: after replaying it a while back, most of the work the jetpack got was for all the platforming.

Not to shyt on Andromeda more than I already have, but ME3's combat is damned good for an RPG.
Man "ME3" in it's entirety, even the goofy shyt....would be good enough to decently cap off this trilogy....to the point that nobody would really complain.

Not saying "ME3" didn't have it's issues but even at it's worst it was nowhere near enough to sink this entire franchise.

The last 5-10 minutes is what fukked things up. At no point prior to that was people talking about "this game killed off Mass Effect". It was solely the ending.

Fred.
When it released, I was rolling my eyes at the intro and years later I see the intro and lower my expectations all over again. There's no way you see how that game starts, encounter the sidequest tracker spreadsheet, see these ridiculous characters (James, Jersey Shore reporter woman, event descriptions not matching event reality, etc) and think you're gonna wind up anywhere good. They got you playing Pac-Man on the galaxy map :russ:just about every storyline feels like its part of a punchline too.

The franchise didn't even sink off ME3. They milked it through DLC for years and its probably one of bioware's longest supported (not SWTOR) titles overall. They just moved on to other projects.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
you trying to kill every character you come across i respect it :wow:

nah...I’m making sure my squad is all content...getting all perks...I’m mining all these planets...I’m close to getting all upgrades...so far my only concern is miranda...I think I can still regain her loyalty...mr. smooth ass fish man who likes to pray over dead bodies he just killed is dying anyway so fukk him and his son

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
nah...I’m making sure my squad is all content...getting all perks...I’m mining all these planets...I’m close to getting all upgrades...so far my only concern is miranda...I think I can still regain her loyalty...mr. smooth ass fish man who likes to pray over dead bodies he just killed is dying anyway so fukk him and his son
btw, you don't need to mine EVERYTHING. i think a little over 200k irridium/plat/palladium each covers just about every upgrade you'll come across. there's more resources on planets than you'll 'need' by far

good luck keeping your people alive tho :ld:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Got the homie Javik back on the team :wow:

First words:

"Where am I? :picard:"

Followed by:

"I'm surrounded by primitives:scust:"

Didn't realize it at the time, but Javik definitely got that Wakandan accent going on. Had to look him up.

Sure enough he's a breh. Ike Amadi - Wikipedia :blessed: played M'Baku in one of the avengers shows

Homie?

Javik was a complete a$$hole :deadmanny:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Hold the line? I just know these Salarians about to hold that L instead :francis:

tenor.gif

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
When it released, I was rolling my eyes at the intro and years later I see the intro and lower my expectations all over again. There's no way you see how that game starts, encounter the sidequest tracker spreadsheet, see these ridiculous characters (James, Jersey Shore reporter woman, event descriptions not matching event reality, etc) and think you're gonna wind up anywhere good. They got you playing Pac-Man on the galaxy map :russ:just about every storyline feels like its part of a punchline too.

The franchise didn't even sink off ME3. They milked it through DLC for years and its probably one of bioware's longest supported (not SWTOR) titles overall. They just moved on to other projects.

Fam I was in the SOHH thread and copped day 1. It was one of the biggest threads on the entire site.

If you feel that way :manny: cool but the general consensus was not "ME3" in general was wack. Again....until the ending. And like I said, the worst aspects of the game were nowhere near bad enough to tip anyone off as to how terrible the ending would be.

It would be like going on a date with a broad....it's cool . Not the worst date ever but not going as well as you'd like.

Then she shyts all inside your car.

Even though you wasn't completely satisfied up to that point, there's no way in hell you'd guess how bad it would end up.

That's "ME3".

As far as is sinking the franchise....it did. the vast majority of the DLC was for the multi-player. Not sure what you mean by "for years"....all the 3 DLC came out within a year of the original game's release. 2 on the other hand, had literally twice as much story DLC (4 vs 8) and "Arrival" dropped 15 months after the game came out.

I mean....3 is the game where one of the main writers (Patrick Weekes) came out and said how wack the ending was. And the founders of the company (Ray Muzyka and Gregory Zeschuk) bounced less than a year after it was released. It damn near killed Bioware, let alone "Mass Effect" as a series.

Then the franchise was handed off to Bioware C tier talent....which is how we got "Andromeda".

Fred.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Fam I was in the SOHH thread and copped day 1. It was one of the biggest threads on the entire site.

If you feel that way :manny: cool but the general consensus was not "ME3" in general was wack. Again....until the ending. And like I said, the worst aspects of the game were nowhere near bad enough to tip anyone off as to how terrible the ending would be.

It would be like going on a date with a broad....it's cool . Not the worst date ever but not going as well as you'd like.

Then she shyts all inside your car.

Even though you wasn't completely satisfied up to that point, there's no way in hell you'd guess how bad it would end up.

That's "ME3".

As far as is sinking the franchise....it did. the vast majority of the DLC was for the multi-player. Not sure what you mean by "for years"....all the 3 DLC came out within a year of the original game's release. 2 on the other hand, had literally twice as much story DLC (4 vs 8) and "Arrival" dropped 15 months after the game came out.

I mean....3 is the game where one of the main writers (Patrick Weekes) came out and said how wack the ending was. And the founders of the company (Ray Muzyka and Gregory Zeschuk) bounced less than a year after it was released. It damn near killed Bioware, let alone "Mass Effect" as a series.

Then the franchise was handed off to Bioware C tier talent....which is how we got "Andromeda".

Fred.
The general consensus on most online game discussion is kinda fugazi tho :manny:

The majority of the DLC was for multiplayer because ME3 legitimately ushered in the lootbox/MTX stuff that's everywhere today. It was making ridiculous money. Even then, it was content like map packs and new characters. Apples and oranges. Nothing like a fully voice acted addition to the main game.

Hell, I wouldn't even consider the DLC all the same level of quality/effort/content either. Javik not being in the main game was straight up scummy. Firewalker, Overlord, and Arrival weren't even on the level as Bring Down The Sky in ME1. Awful and like I was saying earlier in here, not only done poorly but without consistency with the game's own story. Arrival was so bad we've got Indoctrination Theory out of it and Overlord was shipped out even though it made no sense. You can't compare those with Leviathan or Omega efforts in development.

And supported for years means it actually kept up community support, online infrastructure, etc. Andromeda, something that actually was DOA, is a much clearer picture of what a dropped product looked like. There was an entire mobile game attached to that.

They can say the ending was wack but its just scapegoating for the rest of the problems. Its always been too easy to blame one thing in our social space and gaming coverage just perpetuates it. They gonna act like the end was bad but not any of the other things that got them there? People who guided production for years? Film/TV productions can't get away with that - but game designers? That's different? :skip:

Cap and they know it. Main thing Bioware did wrong was not break away from projects they were worn out with completely like Bungie did with Halo. Instead of the studio changing directions as a whole, you have a split in development talent that starts as minor rifts and differences and ends in larger, jarring situations with individuals leaving before any cohesion or talent can replace what they brought to the table.

And shyt, if Bioware was gonna die - it'd be dead already. Its 2021 now and the lights still on after Anthem of all games. Maybe folks doin too much.

but for real, cmon man. they got you chasing around a kid in dream sequences, boxing reapers on foot, getting shytty glimpses of the homeworlds you've heard about for years, fighting cyborg ninjas, etc - ending "ruining everything" wholly glosses over so many of ME's other problems that its actually funny to me:russ: there's stuff so ridiculous in this game that EDI doesn't even stand out. That's insane considering where this series started.

ME3 was stupid. Fun as hell. I actually like it more than 2. but a/b/c answer isnt where it all went sideways.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Okay...ME2 definitely was not made easier.

Only reason I got through Jack's mission is that the mech glitched and was stuck in one spot. Insanity is back to kicking my ass.

Basically, the game trying it's hardest to be trash, but, the dope parts of the game would not allow it.

Maybe it's because I've taken a two year break playing any of the games--I've finished the series atleast once a year since ME3 came out--but, I'm noticing a lot of the bullshyt.

I'm meeting Anderson, for the first time in 2, and litterally just a replay of the entire Spectre induction as the reinstatement. :mjlol: And people, more or less, just accept Shepard Is Back. And the only push back is....you're working for Cerberus. And I only did the EDI mission on the Moon.

:mjlol: Like, who thought that was a good idea to make Cerberus this universe's al Queda but they were a sidemission that had nothing to do with the story.

That's another great idea; the Ardat-Yakshi were way more compelling than Cereburus.

Bioware did the same thing for Dragon Age 2 to 3.

They used a DA2 DLC character to be the big bad in 3 :francis:

Too many lead writers left inbetween ME1 and ME2.

Their franchises suffered as a result, dunno if you can ever blame EA for this one.