The Mass Effect Game Series- Official thread

Beer Drinker

Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I might need to crank up the difficulty. I went from the AI running around like idiots to them killing a target before I can even get a bead on them :huhldup:

I remember giving Legion and Zaheed the Widow. They were killing folks on other planets :russ:

I could barely get involved

Rancor

Pro
Daps
I keep messing around with the photo mode. I love it. I be trying to get the perfect action shot

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
this was helpful as hell...already up to 30000 platinum...20k more and then I can fix shep face...and it took about 10-15 min as you said to mine about 3-4 planets...just had to purchase probes which wasn’t bad...nowhere near as tedious as I thought it was initially...this game is crack :wtf:
Off topic but all your AVIs have me :whew:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Just beat ME2 :wow:

No losses

Actually my first time saving the whole crew. I didn't even realize it was possible to save some of the Horizon people :lupe:Oh well, Kaiden's GF would've left him anyways :mjlol:

Seriously, such a game of highs and lows. Bioware's teams weren't even talking to each other and its obvious throughout.
I remember giving Legion and Zaheed the Widow. They were killing folks on other planets :russ:

I could barely get involved
I got the Widow for Legion just in time for the last mission. Dude was slapping wigs off everywhere :damn: I damn sure don't remember using Legion at all in the past but he might be the best character in the game if you grab a squad ammo ability. Even Harbinger had to lean back. Heavy Reave by me, Warp with Miranda, Legion in the cut - and you can just cheese Explosive Combat Drones for free too? One time he flew in and he was dead before he hit the ground :dead:

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just beat ME2 :wow:

No losses

Actually my first time saving the whole crew. I didn't even realize it was possible to save some of the Horizon people :lupe:Oh well, Kaiden's GF would've left him anyways :mjlol:

Seriously, such a game of highs and lows. Bioware's teams weren't even talking to each other and its obvious throughout.

I got the Widow for Legion just in time for the last mission. Dude was slapping wigs off everywhere :damn: I damn sure don't remember using Legion at all in the past but he might be the best character in the game if you grab a squad ammo ability. Even Harbinger had to lean back. Heavy Reave by me, Warp with Miranda, Legion in the cut - and you can just cheese Explosive Combat Drones for free too? One time he flew in and he was dead before he hit the ground :dead:

you gotta elaborate some more on the A and B BioWare teams and which did which, pretty curious to know.

I agree that the game isn’t perfect but that link someone posted saying that ME2 ruined the series is the overdramatic extra shyt that has me going out of my way to defend it.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
you gotta elaborate some more on the A and B BioWare teams and which did which, pretty curious to know.

I agree that the game isn’t perfect but that link someone posted saying that ME2 ruined the series is the overdramatic extra shyt that has me going out of my way to defend it.
long post and im half asleep so bear with me :yeshrug:

Its just where the level design/narration just loses all consistency.

Like its obvious the same people who did these generally trash ass anomaly sections handled Firewalker/Overlord. One on hand, you've got a single Geth who's a fukking prize no matter what you decide - on the other, you've got a Cerberus base that's literally got, among Geth units and hubs, an entire ship. It doesn't add up. Even in the level design, you've got Archangel quality missions (or anything on Omega really) that lay out a strong build up and a layered gameplay experience between using RPG elements to weaken the enemies before the fighting even starts as well as usage of vertical/transitional space

compared to paltry showings like Grunt's horde mode of a loyalty mission. You're on the Krogan homeworld and its lifeless. Not in a good "it should be" way either. There's more Krogan history and character in planet analyses than on the homeworld of the last major threat to galactic peace. There's no real show of the territorial fighting that's shaped the culture. There's a p*ssy Krogan that exists to be walked over, a shytty space monkey shooter minigame, pit fighting, and Krogan standing around doing the exact same things they do everywhere else.

In contrast, there's something that stands out to grab attention in every section of Omega. Someone not being able to get in the club, soap box preacher, Quarian down on his luck, Batarian bartender trying to poison your drink just because you're human, etc. That entire stop is building its identity. The fall off to Illium isn't quite as bad as Tuchanka of course, but for being the first 'civilized' mega city you're introduced to? Its kinda stale. The best parts of Illium's 'identity' shine in the Shadow Broker. Numerous times Illium is referred to as a clean Omega, but its all gloss and tell not show until that point. They get away with the Citadel being a huge step back because its identity is already established and it doesn't really need to do anything more considering where ME2 is centered.

...But the theme of new, storied areas that everyone was anticipating being dogshyt continued into ME3 as well. :manny:

Its apparent in the characters too. But that feels like a cut content, editing room floor type of thing more than anything else. Jacob is probably the poster boy of that considering better, more developed characters actually have moments where they highlight him better than anything he displays on his own. Mainly "Jacob? He doesn't even know he is" "How does a guy that nice know so many ways to kill people" "Jacob was obviously added to the team as a balancing element" color added from Jack, Joker, and SB respectively. Hell, the best writing for Jacob doesn't involve anything HE does or stuff he brings to the table in missions. It comes from Miranda. I think some people were flipping out about Jack being boxed into being straight due to outside pressure, but where she throws her p*ssy got nothing to do with what a character encompasses and provides for a party. There were always much bigger shortcomings and odd decisions than Jack. Its odd too because in ME1 you essentially characterize and define Garrus by your decisions throughout the game. The logical next step for something like that in new characters is:

making the deliberate decision on Samara/Morinthe. Which I thought was great. I think there should've been more emphasis on the whole 'Arkdat Yakshi are the genetic destiny of the Asari' bit as they are absolutely lining themselves to fukk away the rest of the sentient galaxy :damn:Would've been even better if that same decision could've occurred between Okeer and Grunt - but I acknowledge that one in particular is just wishful thinking

Like, there's no way you have Tali's intro/recruitment/loyalty mission done by the same people who think that Thane is good to go with his walking simulator loyalty mission. I remember I was doing some anomaly mission to save a downed Quarian and no bullshyt at the end of it - Shep stops running to the shuttle to turn around and karate kick a Varren :mjlol: it was just so out of place that I couldn't even stay immersed in what I was doing.

I'm kinda skirting around the major stuff because I feel its been beat to death and want to speak on some of the smaller things just to show I'm not on repeat. The Dark Energy plotline is objectively better than where ME3 goes. Even the Indoctrination Theory for that matter. But when ME2 is on point, its incredible. When its not? It can't even crutch off of the easy wins ME1 laid out for it while also boxing ME3 into weird places because of how it wasn't a forward thinking endeavor.

Masta Bruce

Rookie
Daps
Beat ME1 & 2, screen fit the borders
ME3 starts...can’t see conversation options or enemy health
:mjcry:
almost saved the galaxy
I have an early 2000s TV so almost every game is stretched or doesn’t fit. It’s usually no problem cause games come with border aligning.
Shepard about to make me get a new tv to help his ass

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
long post and im half asleep so bear with me :yeshrug:

Its just where the level design/narration just loses all consistency.

Like its obvious the same people who did these generally trash ass anomaly sections handled Firewalker/Overlord. One on hand, you've got a single Geth who's a fukking prize no matter what you decide - on the other, you've got a Cerberus base that's literally got, among Geth units and hubs, an entire ship. It doesn't add up. Even in the level design, you've got Archangel quality missions (or anything on Omega really) that lay out a strong build up and a layered gameplay experience between using RPG elements to weaken the enemies before the fighting even starts as well as usage of vertical/transitional space

compared to paltry showings like Grunt's horde mode of a loyalty mission. You're on the Krogan homeworld and its lifeless. Not in a good "it should be" way either. There's more Krogan history and character in planet analyses than on the homeworld of the last major threat to galactic peace. There's no real show of the territorial fighting that's shaped the culture. There's a p*ssy Krogan that exists to be walked over, a shytty space monkey shooter minigame, pit fighting, and Krogan standing around doing the exact same things they do everywhere else.

In contrast, there's something that stands out to grab attention in every section of Omega. Someone not being able to get in the club, soap box preacher, Quarian down on his luck, Batarian bartender trying to poison your drink just because you're human, etc. That entire stop is building its identity. The fall off to Illium isn't quite as bad as Tuchanka of course, but for being the first 'civilized' mega city you're introduced to? Its kinda stale. The best parts of Illium's 'identity' shine in the Shadow Broker. Numerous times Illium is referred to as a clean Omega, but its all gloss and tell not show until that point. They get away with the Citadel being a huge step back because its identity is already established and it doesn't really need to do anything more considering where ME2 is centered.

...But the theme of new, storied areas that everyone was anticipating being dogshyt continued into ME3 as well. :manny:

Its apparent in the characters too. But that feels like a cut content, editing room floor type of thing more than anything else. Jacob is probably the poster boy of that considering better, more developed characters actually have moments where they highlight him better than anything he displays on his own. Mainly "Jacob? He doesn't even know he is" "How does a guy that nice know so many ways to kill people" "Jacob was obviously added to the team as a balancing element" color added from Jack, Joker, and SB respectively. Hell, the best writing for Jacob doesn't involve anything HE does or stuff he brings to the table in missions. It comes from Miranda. I think some people were flipping out about Jack being boxed into being straight due to outside pressure, but where she throws her p*ssy got nothing to do with what a character encompasses and provides for a party. There were always much bigger shortcomings and odd decisions than Jack. Its odd too because in ME1 you essentially characterize and define Garrus by your decisions throughout the game. The logical next step for something like that in new characters is:

making the deliberate decision on Samara/Morinthe. Which I thought was great. I think there should've been more emphasis on the whole 'Arkdat Yakshi are the genetic destiny of the Asari' bit as they are absolutely lining themselves to fukk away the rest of the sentient galaxy :damn:Would've been even better if that same decision could've occurred between Okeer and Grunt - but I acknowledge that one in particular is just wishful thinking

Like, there's no way you have Tali's intro/recruitment/loyalty mission done by the same people who think that Thane is good to go with his walking simulator loyalty mission. I remember I was doing some anomaly mission to save a downed Quarian and no bullshyt at the end of it - Shep stops running to the shuttle to turn around and karate kick a Varren :mjlol: it was just so out of place that I couldn't even stay immersed in what I was doing.

I'm kinda skirting around the major stuff because I feel its been beat to death and want to speak on some of the smaller things just to show I'm not on repeat. The Dark Energy plotline is objectively better than where ME3 goes. Even the Indoctrination Theory for that matter. But when ME2 is on point, its incredible. When its not? It can't even crutch off of the easy wins ME1 laid out for it while also boxing ME3 into weird places because of how it wasn't a forward thinking endeavor.

that’s pretty fair. They’re definitely is some lazy writing here and there. I never thought about how Tuckanka was definitely sort of a missed opportunity. I’m definitely guilty of brushing off some of the weaker elements because I like the series so much.

Shep karate kicking the varren is some buffoonery lmao glad I never stumbled across that. Sounds as bad as the krogan fight in Andromeda.

edit: also agree on overlord and fire walker being huge piles of shyt. There’s more you touched on that’s worth discussing tho so I’ll bookmark this for later when I have more time.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Okay...ME2 definitely was not made easier.

Only reason I got through Jack's mission is that the mech glitched and was stuck in one spot. Insanity is back to kicking my ass.

Basically, the game trying it's hardest to be trash, but, the dope parts of the game would not allow it.

Maybe it's because I've taken a two year break playing any of the games--I've finished the series atleast once a year since ME3 came out--but, I'm noticing a lot of the bullshyt.

I'm meeting Anderson, for the first time in 2, and litterally just a replay of the entire Spectre induction as the reinstatement. :mjlol: And people, more or less, just accept Shepard Is Back. And the only push back is....you're working for Cerberus. And I only did the EDI mission on the Moon.

:mjlol: Like, who thought that was a good idea to make Cerberus this universe's al Queda but they were a sidemission that had nothing to do with the story.

That's another great idea; the Ardat-Yakshi were way more compelling than Cereburus.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I smashed Jack on my first play through of me2... and I might smash again

savage :mjlol:

both her and miranda got issues...jack crazy af and miranda low key screwed up too with her typical “daddy” issues...kelly just the office pump...maybe I can rekindle things with liara...I had the chance but kind of backed off...will see if I can visit her as the shadow broker