The Mass Effect Game Series- Official thread

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I think I strongly dislike Ashley now.

"Who made you the commander :mjpls:"

Bih calm down :mjtf:

14 year old me didn't mind her being hot headed and slightly immature.

30 year old me can't stand her ass now, I got no patience. I've met too many women like her :mjlol:

Now Liara is endearing. shyt, she only 106 :wow:

I'm getting old :wow:

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
The Mass Effect series has always been more about the story and characters. That's always been the chief focus of the series. The combat was secondary initially even though it improved exponentially as the series went on, naturally peaking with Andromeda. This is especially true in the OG Mass Effect, which, while the combat has been refined and gotten a much needed tune up, still feels understandably dated and hollow. It just wasn't a focal point at the time.

Best solution I can give those finding the combat sections tedious is to do what I did 14 -15 years ago when I played it for the first time, which is to set the combat to the easiest difficulty. You breeze through most sections and can focus almost entirely on story beats, which is 85% of the OG game's focus in the first place. If an RPG doesn't have the most engaging and fluid combat system, I usually do everything I can to not bother with it at all. That's always worked for me. All in all, there's a huge jump in ME2, which was clutch and essential given how much more it seems like the combat takes front stage in comparison to the original.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Mass Effect series has always been more about the story and characters. That's always been the chief focus of the series. The combat was secondary initially even though it improved exponentially as the series went on, naturally peaking with Andromeda. This is especially true in the OG Mass Effect, which, while the combat has been refined and gotten a much needed tune up, still feels understandably dated and hollow. It just wasn't a focal point at the time.

Best solution I can give those finding the combat sections tedious is to do what I did 14 -15 years ago when I played it for the first time, which is to set the combat to the easiest difficulty. You breeze through most sections and can focus almost entirely on story beats, which is 85% of the OG game's focus in the first place. If an RPG doesn't have the most engaging and fluid combat system, I usually do everything I can to not bother with it at all. That's always worked for me. All in all, there's a huge jump in ME2, which was clutch and essential given how much more it seems like the combat takes front stage in comparison to the original.

ya the story, world/character building has me hooked early...it reminds me of “cheesy” 80s space sci-fi shows but I say that in an endearing way...the dialogue honestly has me glued to my seat at times...someone suggested jumping straight to part 2 and to just watch the recap which I contemplated but I like the story to the point that I feel like I’d be doing myself a disservice by settling for that...I’ll take your suggestions bcuz at this point I’m only interested in the story progression...game could’ve been a 10 with a proper remake tho

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ya the story, world/character building has me hooked early...it reminds me of “cheesy” 80s space sci-fi shows but I say that in an endearing way...the dialogue honestly has me glued to my seat at times...someone suggested jumping straight to part 2 and to just watch the recap which I contemplated but I like the story to the point that I feel like I’d be doing myself a disservice by settling for that...I’ll take your suggestions bcuz at this point I’m only interested in the story progression...game could’ve been a 10 with a proper remake tho

Yeah, I'm in the camp of not enjoying combat in ME1 all that much, but I still say that anyone new should still play through it. This series probably does the best job I've seen of finding ways to show the player that it appreciates them having played previous games.

But if you're not enjoying this now, imagine if you would've played them out of order and started with Andromeda. :mjlol:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, I'm in the camp of not enjoying combat in ME1 all that much, but I still say that anyone new should still play through it. This series probably does the best job I've seen of finding ways to show the player that it appreciates them having played previous games.

But if you're not enjoying this now, imagine if you would've played them out of order and started with Andromeda. :mjlol:

That's how I got into the series. Started with ME2 on PS3 and then copped ME1 on PC so you can imagine the :hhh: I was feeling. Stuck with it because the Spectre induction made me hype for the story.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
You better watch how you talk to me plehboi :ufdup:

All you’ve done in this thread is talk about andromeda and cry about how you can’t romance Jack in ME3 (which is false anyway:heh:)

Ole wanna be part of the conversation but got nothing to say lookin ass...btw have you beat returnal yet?:skip:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

slightly random but one of the things I like about the dialogue/story progression is you’re not penalized or made to feel like scum for making seemingly “harsh” decisions as it’s recognized for being for the greater good/simply warranted

ironically I bought andromeda a long time ago since it was so cheap at the time but wanted to hold off on playing it til I played the trilogy...I was gonna play the original one right before the remaster was announced

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
slightly random but one of the things I like about the dialogue/story progression is you’re not penalized or made to feel like scum for making seemingly “harsh” decisions as it’s recognized for being for the greater good/simply warranted

ironically I bought andromeda a long time ago since it was so cheap at the time but wanted to hold off on playing it til I played the trilogy...I was gonna play the original one right before the remaster was announced

This was Bioware in one of their last rare moments of good game development.

After SWTOR, the team hasn't been the same. Too many writers went poof.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I think I strongly dislike Ashley now.

"Who made you the commander :mjpls:"

Bih calm down :mjtf:

14 year old me didn't mind her being hot headed and slightly immature.

30 year old me can't stand her ass now, I got no patience. I've met too many women like her :mjlol:

Now Liara is endearing. shyt, she only 106 :wow:

I'm getting old :wow:
bruh. i played these games before I joined the army and i'm playing them again - now that im out everything about ashley is setting off my PTSD :mjlol:

"commander, is wrex gonna be a problem? :usure: you better do something before i do"

:mjtf:bytch if you don't chill the fukk out. couldn't pull me to the side or nothing? gotta air all this shyt out in front of my girl AND these salarians??

Last edited: