The Mass Effect Game Series- Official thread

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
People sleep on it because it was glitchy as fukk when it was released, but Andromeda is a really good spin off. The mistake people make is comparing it to the trilogy, but it's good enough to stand on its own. The little tie ins to the trilogy is nice, and keeping the weapons and N7 armor was a smart move. I just wish they had the Reave ability in the game since I'm always a biotic.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"I can't tell the aliens from the animals":mjpls:

You see it. :mjpls:

People sleep on it because it was glitchy as fukk when it was released, but Andromeda is a really good spin off. The mistake people make is comparing it to the trilogy, but it's good enough to stand on its own. The little tie ins to the trilogy is nice, and keeping the weapons and N7 armor was a smart move. I just wish they had the Reave ability in the game since I'm always a biotic.

I think I've said it on here before, but if it didn't have Mass Effect in the name, people probably give them far more leeway. The way they position all the video logs from

Liara
makes it seem like it was supposed to be a mid to late game twist, so it seems like even they thought about at least downplaying the connection at one point.

I just hope that whenever the next one comes out they stick with the classless system from Andromeda. Being able to pick and choose from all skillsets based on your skill point selections was great, to the point that I'm not sure I could go back to the old way in any new games.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps

:francis: That's not why I slept on it. A bland game even with the superior gameplay.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
You see it. :mjpls:

I think I've said it on here before, but if it didn't have Mass Effect in the name, people probably give them far more leeway. The way they position all the video logs from

Liara
makes it seem like it was supposed to be a mid to late game twist, so it seems like even they thought about at least downplaying the connection at one point.

I just hope that whenever the next one comes out they stick with the classless system from Andromeda. Being able to pick and choose from all skillsets based on your skill point selections was great, to the point that I'm not sure I could go back to the old way in any new games.
I think the backlash had more to do with the way the trilogy ended. If it had ended the way the majority of fans wanted it to, then people would've happily accepted the finality of the trilogy. Instead they gave us 3 bullshyt endings that everyone hated, and then 5yrs later gave us a whole new crew & story.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
I think the backlash had more to do with the way the trilogy ended. If it had ended the way the majority of fans wanted it to, then people would've happily accepted the finality of the trilogy. Instead they gave us 3 bullshyt endings that everyone hated, and then 5yrs later gave us a whole new crew & story.
Nah, you can go back in the Andromeda thread on here. People were hyped as hell for it. Dragon Age Inquisition was an alright game that just got put out by Bioware so they hadn't got hit with the bad press yet. But the game came out a buggy mess. Combat was better but you couldn't control your team, planet exploration was undercooked, and the story wasn't on the same level. People just ended up forgetting about it after awhile.

But even now the next ME has hype because if it touches the trilogy in quality it'll be worth the time.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Nah, you can go back in the Andromeda thread on here. People were hyped as hell for it. Dragon Age Inquisition was an alright game that just got put out by Bioware so they hadn't got hit with the bad press yet. But the game came out a buggy mess. Combat was better but you couldn't control your team, planet exploration was undercooked, and the story wasn't on the same level. People just ended up forgetting about it after awhile.

But even now the next ME has hype because if it touches the trilogy in quality it'll be worth the time.
This is what I'm talking about, people were going to try and compare it to the trilogy which was always going to lead to disappointment. You say people on here were hype for it, but I remember people on gaming forums everywhere really hoping that it would somehow include stuff from the trilogy. You can look up plenty of videos were people are doing revised reviews for Andromeda and admitting that it suffered because of the glitches and the ME3 aftertaste. ME2 & ME3 felt like Mortal Kombat 1 being followed up by Annihilation which is why people were hyped for Andromeda.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
This is what I'm talking about, people were going to try and compare it to the trilogy which was always going to lead to disappointment. You say people on here were hype for it, but I remember people on gaming forums everywhere really hoping that it would somehow include stuff from the trilogy. You can look up plenty of videos were people are doing revised reviews for Andromeda and admitting that it suffered because of the glitches and the ME3 aftertaste. ME2 & ME3 felt like Mortal Kombat 1 being followed up by Annihilation which is why people were hyped for Andromeda.
I'd rather watch Annihilation again then play Andromeda :mjlol:

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Andromeda was bad for a number of reasons:
  • Trash plot/uninspired storytelling
  • Forgettable squadmates
  • Inability to control squadmates
None of these had anything to do with the Trilogy.

If it doesn't stand on its own merits aside from ME-ME3, then it wasn't a good game. :yeshrug:

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Andromeda was bad for a number of reasons:
  • Trash plot/uninspired storytelling
  • Forgettable squadmates
  • Inability to control squadmates
None of these had anything to do with the Trilogy.

If it doesn't stand on its own merits aside from ME-ME3, then it wasn't a good game. :yeshrug:
Like I said look at people who are revisiting the game now. It's not like people are saying it's better or on par with the trilogy, but now the overall consensus is that it's at least a decent game. The reason you can't control squadmates now is because they use their powers more often than the previous ones did. I'm not trying to make people like the game, I'm just saying that the game is underrated.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Gotta disagree with you on this one. They estably up front that this had little to nothing to do with the previous trilogy, so the response really wouldn't have been effected by them not sticking the landing with ME3. The problem is that when you use the Mass Effect name, it sets pretty solid expectations of what you get out of the game, and Andromeda just plain didn't meet those expectations.

Also, even as someone who enjoyed Andromeda, it's not hard to see that there was a lot that needed retooled with that game, and even if they made more of an effort to separate it from the rest of the series, it's still probably getting shyt on pretty strongly, even after all the patches.

I mean, just off the top of my head, the characterization of Ryder is pretty bad. They're the main character of the game, and they have about as much agency and character development as a second or third tier side character.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Andromeda *starts* bad.

They set the tone early on that it isn't you that's special or even your dad - its the AI supercomputer that literally opens doors and solves problems before you even have to fully grasp what's going on around you :mjlol: The entire idea of pathfinders is stupid. May as well let that thing scream ASSUMING CONTROL the minute any obstacle comes up.

And the fact that the most significant events in the Andromeda setting happen BEFORE you even arrive just makes it even more detached than it already is. By the time you show up, there's a whole galactic anomaly eating through known space, there's a riot on the first ships to arrive causing the whole mission to fracture immediately, entirely new leadership groups are established as a result, and hell the 'first' world you arrive to fix isn't even the first world settled. shyt, the Krogans and Exiles not only set up better than the actual flagship crew - but there's even mining endeavors set up waaay outside of what's introduced as known space initially.

The party is arguably the worst group put together by Bioware ever too. Don't even need to elaborate there.

So when people say that its bad due to the aftertaste of the ME3 ending - its only partly true because Andromeda somehow manages to look at all that feedback and get worse

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Andromeda *starts* bad.

They set the tone early on that it isn't you that's special or even your dad - its the AI supercomputer that literally opens doors and solves problems before you even have to fully grasp what's going on around you :mjlol: The entire idea of pathfinders is stupid. May as well let that thing scream ASSUMING CONTROL the minute any obstacle comes up.

And the fact that the most significant events in the Andromeda setting happen BEFORE you even arrive just makes it even more detached than it already is. By the time you show up, there's a whole galactic anomaly eating through known space, there's a riot on the first ships to arrive causing the whole mission to fracture immediately, entirely new leadership groups are established as a result, and hell the 'first' world you arrive to fix isn't even the first world settled. shyt, the Krogans and Exiles not only set up better than the actual flagship crew - but there's even mining endeavors set up waaay outside of what's introduced as known space initially.

The party is arguably the worst group put together by Bioware ever too. Don't even need to elaborate there.

So when people say that its bad due to the aftertaste of the ME3 ending - its only partly true because Andromeda somehow manages to look at all that feedback and get worse

Now that I think about it, Ryder really is reverse Forrest Gump for most of the game. He shows up after most of the most important events.

Also forgot that the main villain flat out tells Ryder to their face that they aren't unique or important in any way, and actually SAM is the real threat.

Also, the game just casually dropping in that using SAM the why they have is causing likely irreparable neurological damage. Like, damn. Even the game wants to get Ryder the fukk out of the paint at some point. :dead: