The Marvels Starring Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris, Iman Vellani, and Sam Jackson November 10,2023

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The overall consensus I’m getting from the reviews is that it’s average at best with the highlight being the trio’s performances, but a weak villain and a questionable plot

Still undecided if I’ll go catch a matinee or just wait for it to hit D+ :manny:

So a standard post avengers Marvel project.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
i keep telling yall, one major issue is that most directors dont understand how to shoot cosmic and superman level heroes.

Most Studios/directors arent interested in coming up with a visual style or put effort into the choreography and sequencing. Zack Snyder is the only director who really focused on this aspect (it was the only thing he cared about in regards to Superman :mjlol: ) and that alone makes MoS a watchable movie. (additionally, Raimi and Scott Derrickson did a lot of cool stuff with Strange as well, but i get the feeling that the universe bending visual style of Stranges magic was a Studio Mandate that CLEARLY was inspired by DNEGs visual effects in Inception.)

Because nearly all of the fighting scenes are going to be reliant on CGI, most directors dont have the chops to make the fight "work" in the context of their film. They rely on the animators who (when given enough time) make the fight look bright and shiny but often time theres no real narrative in the fights themselves, their purpose is to be time filling set pieces to show off the CGI.

Thats where practical effects come in and can make a great difference in enhancing the narrative of a film and having its own language. Say what you want about Black Panther 2, its clear Coogler learned from his mistakes in Bp1 and made a concerted effort in BP2 to improve the fight scenes. The fights between Okoye and Attuma (rd1) and Shuri and Namor are excellent (the wakanda army vs the atlanteans is exactly the kind of generic set piece I mentioned earlier tho) .
yuppp @ bolded and thats exactly why i reallly like wakanda forever

Coogler gave his characters the choreography that bp1 was lacking. When he made tchalla and killmonger fight at the falls it was well shot and we saw more practical fighting and cvharacters truly blleeding from hits but at the end is when shyt looked like kind bad

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i keep telling yall, one major issue is that most directors dont understand how to shoot cosmic and superman level heroes.

Most Studios/directors arent interested in coming up with a visual style or put effort into the choreography and sequencing. Zack Snyder is the only director who really focused on this aspect (it was the only thing he cared about in regards to Superman :mjlol: ) and that alone makes MoS a watchable movie. (additionally, Raimi and Scott Derrickson did a lot of cool stuff with Strange as well, but i get the feeling that the universe bending visual style of Stranges magic was a Studio Mandate that CLEARLY was inspired by DNEGs visual effects in Inception.)

Because nearly all of the fighting scenes are going to be reliant on CGI, most directors dont have the chops to make the fight "work" in the context of their film. They rely on the animators who (when given enough time) make the fight look bright and shiny but often time theres no real narrative in the fights themselves, their purpose is to be time filling set pieces to show off the CGI.

Thats where practical effects come in and can make a great difference in enhancing the narrative of a film and having its own language. Say what you want about Black Panther 2, its clear Coogler learned from his mistakes in Bp1 and made a concerted effort in BP2 to improve the fight scenes. The fights between Okoye and Attuma (rd1) and Shuri and Namor are excellent (the wakanda army vs the atlanteans is exactly the kind of generic set piece I mentioned earlier tho) .
I don't like Wakanda Forever but the Okoye bridge fight is a top 5 MCU fight scene.

Shuri vs Namor is good for the same reasons why we shyt on these cheap strong female roles. Namor was putting hands on Shuri when normally in these type of dynamics they write a way for the man to never hit the woman. Thor Ragnarok is a good example of this where it's more than obvious that they didn't want Thor to "beat" Hela

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
I don't like Wakanda Forever but the Okoye bridge fight is a top 5 MCU fight scene.

Shuri vs Namor is good for the same reasons why we shyt on these cheap strong female roles. Namor was putting hands on Shuri when normally in these type of dynamics they write a way for the man to never hit the woman. Thor Ragnarok is a good example of this where it's more than obvious that they didn't want Thor to "beat" Hela
i think WF does a good job of puttign Shuri through the emotional ringer so her win over Namor feels earned...Her beating Namor was narratively about her tapping into her sorrow and rage (the whole scene with Killmonger is about her givng in to vengeance) but at last minute, realzing life is too precious and that killing Namor would be starting the revenge cycle all over again. Its really earned so much more than every other woman over man fight.
I wish marvel in Disney would realize that’s the missing ingredient as well, making the female heroes journey earned