The Martial Arts and Philosophy

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I do Xing Yi Quan. A lot of people think that because it's an 'internal' form, that means a lot of doing soft movements with minimal strength and shunning power training. That is patently false, and the same applies for martial arts like Baguazhang and Tai Ji Quan. The reason people have this stupid viewpoint is because a lot of new age hippie fakkits buy heavily into the internal arts because they have a reputation for being esoteric or being overtly metaphysical. In Taiwan and China they don't subscribe to any of this bullshyt. You simply cannot apply techniques without the proper level of physical development, and to do that, you need power. Part of my lineage is from the tang shou tao system, which has produced a lot of quality full contact fighters, and this is the basic training:

Steve Cotter, "Fu Fhu Gong-Lying Tiger" body weight exercise - YouTube

Does that look like mystical shyt to you? Naw. It's hard work. The point is to train for power correctly. To maximize mechanical advantage, and to develop coordination and grounding, as well as proper breathing mechanics. Not some mystical force that will make you blast dudes away with your bare hands on some dbz shyt :pachaha:
thanks, I'm glad you said this shyt.

I'm considerably more in shape than some of the people I practice with. My older kungfu brothers emphasis the other shyt.. .but I swear I feel like they're fronting because I know that some of them have knocked people out w one punch and have fought more than 1 person in real life situations. You can't do that with that soft shyt. You need structure but you also need the other elements.

You say does it look Mystical to me.. I still say no, but that internal development is important. Look at this video.

I've done muay thai.. but switched to Wing Chun.. and I play around w bjj (but I don't have time to seriously train in that yet). How do you feel about Wing chun? As someone that came from boxing.. and muaythai.. I respect it. I feel like I damn near can fukk up anyone now. I know it's not all about that with internal MA.. but still, many people hate on Wing Chun (like it's not the reason MA is popular in the West).. but I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
thanks, I'm glad you said this shyt.

You say does it look Mystical to me.. I still say no, but that internal development is important. Look at this video.

true power of shaolin kung fu - YouTube

I've done muay thai.. but switched to Wing Chun.. and I play around w bjj (but I don't have time to seriously train in that yet). How do you feel about Wing chun? As someone that came from boxing.. and muaythai.. I respect it. I feel like I damn near can fukk up anyone now. I know it's not all about that with internal MA.. but still, many people hate on Wing Chun (like it's not the reason MA is popular in the West).. but I like it.

Breh, you really shouldn't be too into with shyt like this. Iron body training is a nice supplement to whatever CMA you are doing, but a lot of this shyt is straight trickery, especially from dudes dressing like theyre in some Shaw Brothers movies. Shaolin especially is pretty much crap. There are a few guys here and there that teach some of the stuff from the Henan province temple, but buy and large a lot of it is :trash: especially in the west.

Internal training is great, it's the nucleus of my style to begin with. But its not be all end all of martial arts, CMA or the internal arts in general. As for the Chun... I can't say I've had a good experience with it. The vast majority of chunners i know in person dont sit down on their strikes, flurry way too much, and can't grapple or throw well (usually are fast though). The ones that are good have had heavy crosstraining in boxing, and in fights pretty much end up using techniques from that. I'm not saying the chun is bad, you may know some great chunners. Style isnt the be all end all anyway, your teacher and environment are ultimately way more important.

"internal" is just a silly marketing word really, at least when it comes to classifying styles or whatever. Training can be internal, when you focus on your spirit and your MIND especially.

aqualung

I wear a crown of curls.
Daps
Reppin
NYC, Boston, #ByrdGang
My brothers and father say that some monks spend so very much time praying/meditating and sparring that if they are seen and photographed at sparring tournaments, they do NOT show up in the resulting photographs. (The photo accurately depicts everything and everyone BUT THEM). They are on that spiritualism/mysticism grind.

Or is it demons and spirits that can manifest to the human eye w/o showing up on camera?

Iono. *shrug*

--> aq out <--

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Breh, you really shouldn't be too into with shyt like this. Iron body training is a nice supplement to whatever CMA you are doing, but a lot of this shyt is straight trickery, especially from dudes dressing like theyre in some Shaw Brothers movies. Shaolin especially is pretty much crap. There are a few guys here and there that teach some of the stuff from the Henan province temple, but buy and large a lot of it is :trash: especially in the west.

Internal training is great, it's the nucleus of my style to begin with. But its not be all end all of martial arts, CMA or the internal arts in general. As for the Chun... I can't say I've had a good experience with it. The vast majority of chunners i know in person dont sit down on their strikes, flurry way too much, and can't grapple or throw well (usually are fast though). The ones that are good have had heavy crosstraining in boxing, and in fights pretty much end up using techniques from that. I'm not saying the chun is bad, you may know some great chunners. Style isnt the be all end all anyway, your teacher and environment are ultimately way more important.

"internal" is just a silly marketing word really, at least when it comes to classifying styles or whatever. Training can be internal, when you focus on your spirit and your MIND especially.

Most of the time when you see good 'Chunners' people try to say it's because they know other things... but that shows a lack of understanding about the MA. The system focuses on centerline and balance and structure. You can take that and not be beaten by the average person. Most wing chun guys who you see don't know the complete system, and that's the truth. It's not like other forms.... it takes a lot. IT takes even longer to get to parts that you would learn how to grapple and lock and throw. Most moves are deadly or very damaging so You don't see them randomly sparring or entering sports. For example, my boy is a great muay thai fighter. He would get fukked up by most of the senior chun guys I know.. Like you said, they are fast.. but I say that fastness isn't what they depend on. Centerline makes it so that even if the person is tough to beat.... they aren't going to hit you in the face unless you randomly get amnesia. I tried out chun after fighting for my whole life... I wasn't planning on sticking with it, until I discovered that the shyt works. Well,,,, the concepts work. The majority of seniors worldwide, don't have the full system and you have to do so much shyt (too much imo) to learn it in comparison to other systems.

But lets say you only learn part of it.. you can do like Bruce lee did and mix the philosophy w grappling and kickboxing and be a beast. My reactions right now are so strong that, a nikka would have to be Master level at some type of internal art to come close to knocking me out.. And I'm not even shyt yet. I don't think that has to do with prior wrestling or Muaythai background,, because Wrestlers struggle, Chunners don't. Thai guys trade hits and kicks, chunners don't. The entire system is built around ending the fight quickly

About the Flurrys.... I hate that shyt. I know what you mean, and those people are practicers.. not fighters. And it does depend on your teacher.

Pay attention to the moves in this video. I know its a fake movie.. but if you look closely you will see what I mean. I've seen chunners in real fights as concerts bars n shyt. , sure they also know other shyt, but the concepts you can see in this video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
flurry way too much, and can't grapple or throw well (usually are fast though)..

The flurry thing is for practice. It's only helps w speed, if u don't apply it to fighting techniques. ... In a fight.... a real fight, the idea is that you don't give the man a chance to recover. With Most MA.. if you hit a person and don't knock them out.. If they are skilled enuf they may be able to fight back or block your next strike and attempt to hit you (hopefully you don't get hit).

With the chain punch.. If you are touched by one punch, it's over. you never feel like that punch has ever went away and the presser of being hit is so constant that you don't have time to recover. Also the hand always comes back to the chest, while the other is hitting the person.... Just in case, which is rare, the other person is some MA Gawd is can stop the chain. you will always have that defense. And like I said W chun isn't void of locks and throws n shyt - so that will activate if the person is a MA Gawd of some sort, and stops the chain.

OsO

Souldier
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I Don't know what you mean by grounding.

Are you speaking of... so that you can't get knocked back?... relaxing and alining your structure so well that someone would have to be strong enough to push you through the ground to move you? Then tilting your hips forward and centering ur chi so that all your movements come up through your heels through your core and then out?

If that's what ur speaking of then I can tell you the best ways... if ur talking about something else.. then please elaborate.

he's talking about getting mentally and emotionally grounded, not so much physically grounded.

you know the mental state when fear about a current or future event takes you out of the present moment and into an imaginative reality resulting in a negative effect on your mental and emotional state. he's talking about techniques that will rescue him from that place and bring him back to a mental state of clarity and power in the present moment.

and kool g it surprises me how deep you seem to be into the martial arts but give no respect whatsoever to the metaphysical side of the craft. much of the spiritual side of martial arts emphasizes the subtle energies of the body.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
My teachers and the masters i've met/talked with are all applications and jibengong first and metaphysical and philosophical ABSOLUTELY last. When they are talking about Qi or Jing or jins, it is in respect to some prescientific paradigm, a generality, or some type of structural mechanic.

:yeshrug:

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
My teachers and the masters i've met/talked with are all applications and jibengong first and metaphysical and philosophical ABSOLUTELY last. When they are talking about Qi or Jing or jins, it is in respect to some prescientific paradigm, a generality, or some type of structural mechanic.

:yeshrug:

There will always be someone stronger, bigger, quicker.. who knows about fighting. In that case.. what do u do? Where to you pull extra power from?

I have a muthfukka on my sights now. He's been practicing MA longer than me.. (by like a year).. and he has me on weight. But I'm more athletic. I know I can beat him... but it's not because of strength.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
There will always be someone stronger, bigger, quicker.. who knows about fighting. In that case.. what do u do? Where to you pull extra power from?

I have a muthfukka on my sights now. He's been practicing MA longer than me.. (by like a year).. and he has me on weight. But I'm more athletic. I know I can beat him... but it's not because of strength.
:whistle:

Dan Djurdjevic: How the internal arts work: Part 1

theres obviously more, and if you want me to go deeper in detail I will.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps

Sizing others up on can I take him or who would win in a fight is not a proper application of the martial spirit imo. Just because he has more training exp really means nothing tbh, plenty of black belts that would get handled by an average street brawler who's been in more fights

I wouldn't worry about how big or strong the person is either, like bruce said:

“The great mistake is to anticipate the outcome of the engagement; you ought not to be thinking of whether it ends in victory or defeat. Let nature take its course, and your tools will strike at the right moment.”

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Sizing others up on can I take him or who would win in a fight is not a proper application of the martial spirit imo. Just because he has more training exp really means nothing tbh, plenty of black belts that would get handled by an average street brawler who's been in more fights

I wouldn't worry about how big or strong the person is either, like bruce said:

“The great mistake is to anticipate the outcome of the engagement; you ought not to be thinking of whether it ends in victory or defeat. Let nature take its course, and your tools will strike at the right moment.”

I know the guy doesn't like me. I don't have a real issue w him. I don't train so that I can fight. But I have an 'internal' feeling that he will try me one day.. and he has the confidence to do it, because he's much larger and has practiced ma longer.

I was just saying.. the internal parts are the most important, everything matters less, if you know body mechanics and breathing better.