The Martial Arts and Philosophy

Daps
Reppin
NULL
anybody know any good books/vids on (effective) 'grounding' techniques?

can be tai ji/ qi gong related, but def not a must

OsO

Souldier
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
are you familiar with the meridian system?

the main energy channels in the body, from which all other physiological energy channels feed from...

I'm looking for a definitive book on the subject that covers everything and all schools of thought in martial arts

:comeon:

anybody know any good books/vids on (effective) 'grounding' techniques?

dont know any books off the top per se... but good grounding techniques involve anything that physically connects you to the earth. so sitting on the physical earth (nature, not concrete or wood) or any activity that brings you physically closer to the earth will assist you in that.

also you may want to incorporate some crystals, specifically hematite and/or black tourmaline... they really help with grounding.

even something as simple as looking down and focusing your attention downward can help you ground yourself.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
yeah my mind and my energy can be all over the place at times so I sometimes benefit from centering my chi, and doing grounding techniques that connect me to the earth like LeyeT said

I Don't know what you mean by grounding.

Are you speaking of... so that you can't get knocked back?... relaxing and alining your structure so well that someone would have to be strong enough to push you through the ground to move you? Then tilting your hips forward and centering ur chi so that all your movements come up through your heels through your core and then out?

If that's what ur speaking of then I can tell you the best ways... if ur talking about something else.. then please elaborate.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
I Don't know what you mean by grounding.

Are you speaking of... so that you can't get knocked back?... relaxing and alining your structure so well that someone would have to be strong enough to push you through the ground to move you? Then tilting your hips forward and centering ur chi so that all your movements come up through your heels through your core and then out?

If that's what ur speaking of then I can tell you the best ways... if ur talking about something else.. then please elaborate.

Yeah if you're talking about "rooting" or basic neigong stuff then I can def help with that. This :stopitslime: mystical energy shyt im not too interested in.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Yeah if you're talking about "rooting" or basic neigong stuff then I can def help with that. This :stopitslime: mystical energy shyt im not too interested in.

Well, I know the mystical energy shyt is only BS... from a certain angle. Breathing, rooting, structure and all those things seem mystical to me... especially when I go from a strong punch to a crazy punch. I know it's just physics and biology.

You have to pull out your internal energy with neigong... so you pull energy from places that you normally wouldn't be able to pull it from.

Anyway, about rooting. So I'm stronger than most people at my level. My structure is so good that I can usually fukk with people a little bit above my level. I was taught a fukking lesson this weekend by someone who is way stronger than me and more skilled than me in MA. How do you over come this... is there only so much rooting you can do if the muthfukka is just a big and strong. But I know this small white girl w red hair that can fukk with dude.. so :wtf:

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
Well, I know the mystical energy shyt is only BS... from a certain angle. Breathing, rooting, structure and all those things seem mystical to me... especially when I go from a strong punch to a crazy punch. I know it's just physics and biology.

You have to pull out your internal energy with neigong... so you pull energy from places that you normally wouldn't be able to pull it from.
I was taught that basic standing neigong is about storing energy in your dantian and rewiring your nervous system for coordinative purposes. I dont feel that structure is really any 'mystical shyt'. Your body is a system of levers and semi-fluids that can only really work in a few different ways, so naturally combat systems and training have to take advantage of that and maximize it. Any other way, you're just fighting yourself. That's why i like the CMA. They have lost a lot of their teeth but they still are>>>> in terms of body usage.

Anyway, about rooting. So I'm stronger than most people at my level. My structure is so good that I can usually fukk with people a little bit above my level. I was taught a fukking lesson this weekend by someone who is way stronger than me and more skilled than me in MA. How do you over come this... is there only so much rooting you can do if the muthfukka is just a big and strong. But I know this white girl w red hair that can fukk with dude.. so :wtf:
Rooting matters, but some CMA guys take it too far and think that you need to spend all your time on just rooting and structure. That stuff is great really, and has great returns, but straight power training is something you can't avoid. You need to do a lot of it. :yeshrug: I met Andrea Falk last year and she was flipping guys near twice her size pretty easily. Sohh this stuff definitely works....

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I was taught that basic standing neigong is about storing energy in your dantian and rewiring your nervous system for coordinative purposes. I dont feel that structure is really any 'mystical shyt'. Your body is a system of levers and semi-fluids that can only really work in a few different ways, so naturally combat systems and training have to take advantage of that and maximize it. Any other way, you're just fighting yourself. That's why i like the CMA. They have lost a lot of their teeth but they still are>>>> in terms of body usage.
I agree. One guy who hints that it's mystical... is also a respected surgeon.. so he obviously know the details of how the body works and isn't really believing that nikkas are developing super powers.

Rooting matters, but some CMA guys take it too far and think that you need to spend all your time on just rooting and structure. That stuff is great really, and has great returns, but straight power training is something you can't avoid. You need to do a lot of it. :yeshrug: I met Andrea Falk last year and she was flipping guys near twice her size pretty easily. Sohh this stuff definitely works....
Idk. Some people say that a focus on strength can hurt you in the end. Shouldn't you train for rooting and structure and focus on that? What form of MA do you do?

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
Idk. Some people say that a focus on strength can hurt you in the end. Shouldn't you train for rooting and structure and focus on that? What form of MA do you do?
I do Xing Yi Quan. A lot of people think that because it's an 'internal' form, that means a lot of doing soft movements with minimal strength and shunning power training. That is patently false, and the same applies for martial arts like Baguazhang and Tai Ji Quan. The reason people have this stupid viewpoint is because a lot of new age hippie fakkits buy heavily into the internal arts because they have a reputation for being esoteric or being overtly metaphysical. In Taiwan and China they don't subscribe to any of this bullshyt. You simply cannot apply techniques without the proper level of physical development, and to do that, you need power. Part of my lineage is from the tang shou tao system, which has produced a lot of quality full contact fighters, and this is the basic training:

Does that look like mystical shyt to you? Naw. It's hard work. The point is to train for power correctly. To maximize mechanical advantage, and to develop coordination and grounding, as well as proper breathing mechanics. Not some mystical force that will make you blast dudes away with your bare hands on some dbz shyt :pachaha:

Last edited by a moderator: