The Martial Arts and Philosophy

Daps
Reppin
NULL
....Jack Johnson's whole career.

Muhammad Ali....American Boxers aren't included in the M.A. context.

Miyamoto Musashi and the Yoshioka, he provoked the shyt out of their entire school.

Bring the info that he provoked the school. I haven't heard that.

Harry Greb and all of his big opponents....again American Boxing doesn't count.

Li Shu Wen and almost all of his opponents. That's one.

Jim Corbett and John L Sullivan. Once Again boxing doesn't count

Sun Cunzhou and everyone until he lost an eye. People doubted his skills and tested him....difference between looking for fights and fights coming to you.

Guo Yunshen picking a fight with Cheng Tinghua. This is a tale that isn't reliable as fact.

Liu Yun Qiao and Ding Zicheng. Provide info on this...I've yet to see any info of those two fighting before.

I could name more. I dont understand what you're trying to say here. Here's a cold hard fact: experienced, confident martial artists who make a name and a dollar off fighting will trash talk to goad others into fights, even if the other is respectful. This is not a new phenomenon, and is to be downright expected in a competitive environment of any kind.

Name more. You got one person out of the list of Martial Artists that was looking for fights and talking trash.

Also, you said without martial virtues power is just a word. I disagreed with that notion.

Agree to disagree.

Exactly, and you see that even in the most skilled fighters. At least in their youth/prime, its very common.

It's not common...

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
boxing doesnt count huh :rudy:? Im not arguing with you any more then, pointless. Anyway its clogging up this thread, nor am I gonna try and "correct" your worldview.

Has anyone here read Sun Tzu before? I actually never have. Comments?

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Not to derail this thread - but has anyone here wanted to wander into the wilderness on some Ryu shyt and just train to fight day and night? I've often fantasized about packing up and going to some monk temple in the middle of nowhere in Asia and just focus on training 100%.

I'll admit I don't train as often as I'd like but I often wonder how far I could test the limits of my strength and body. It would require a tremendous amount of sacrifice but I'm sure there are people that have done it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
boxing doesnt count huh :rudy:? Im not arguing with you any more then, pointless. Anyway its clogging up this thread, nor am I gonna try and "correct" your worldview.

Has anyone here read Sun Tzu before? I actually never have. Comments?

What thread is this... Boxing or Martial Arts?

You never read Sun Tzu Art of War?

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
Boxing is a martial art.

Anyhoo, its in my cue. I have to finish reading the I Ching first and i have a couple other books in my backlog... Its on the list tho :youngsabo:

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
Not to derail this thread - but has anyone here wanted to wander into the wilderness on some Ryu shyt and just train to fight day and night? I've often fantasized about packing up and going to some monk temple in the middle of nowhere in Asia and just focus on training 100%.

I'll admit I don't train as often as I'd like but I often wonder how far I could test the limits of my strength and body. It would require a tremendous amount of sacrifice but I'm sure there are people that have done it.

depending on how things go for a bit i might go study some in Cangzhou after i cop this degree :mjpls:

it would be nice, if just to get away from all the bullshyt

OsO

Souldier
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I dont think its a negative either, just different. I dont hold MMA schools accountable for not trying to force values or philosophy on their students. I do think they need to at the very least let people be aware of the legal ramifications of what theyre learning, but i dont think they need to do anything else beyond that. With power comes responsiblity... And if you learn something, at the end of the day its up to your ass how you use it.

they supposed to learn the values and the respect before they learn how to buss somebodies head. character development used to be a prerequisite for training and we need to get back to it badly.

edit: dope thread btw

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
v
Martial arts parallels life. In life, to gain understanding, many times you have to lose, to win. - Mowgli

if you're not taking ls when you start out your school is most likely flabby and sick. you are expected to have countless setbacks and failures even in solo training. for example I was just sick for this week and missed practice. I'm pissed, because I was making serious headway on my power expressions. but I didn't stop - I still did at least some neigong and standing stance progress and look! back to the game in 3 days. in the martial arts your success is determined months, years before you encounter an opponent. consistent, daily preparation and refinement of the basics is the only.path to true progress in martial arts

many students fail to progress in traditional arts because they lack the patience to apply yourself everyday. they wanna progress to advanced techniques and fighting before their foundation and basics and conditioning are there. they are anxious to call themselves masters, theyve watched too many movies. they don't realize hat the real masters are the men who have practiced so song and hard that their responses are automatic, their art so ingrained that they fight without perceptible intention.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
As a general question?

What do you guys think of distinctions between internal and external aspects of martial arts? Do you concern yourself with it at all? Do you view it as a physical differentiation? Do you think they are both necessary? What about the distinction in regard to individual martial art styles?

humor me.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

8p10n.gif
- Those tights.

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
joe rogan work on my nerves

good thread.

what are your thoughts on the following

T'ai Chi & QiGong
Internally and externally speaking, Gong Fu is indeed an inexhaustable well of spiritual knowing.

Those of you who study or practice either one of the above mentioned disciplines, I have a question.

What would you tell someone if they were trying to find out why these disciplines are so widely written about, revered and meditated upon?

What have YOU gained from them?

The statement, "The Shaolin and The Wu-Tang could be dangerous." only means, "The external and internal martial arts, once combined, could be dangerous." Why is this so?

We all know that the external arts are deadly, but what specifically makes the internal arts even deadlier?

In my own personal pursuit of many styles, I find the internal arts to be most [background=transparent !important]beautiful[/background]. Simply because they've given me a much richer understanding of many other fields of study. For example, studying QiGong, I completely understand Dr. Jose Arguelles' guidelines for evolution. Etc.

OsO

Souldier
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
you guys can appreciate this

Last edited by a moderator:

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
j

what are your thoughts on the following

T'ai Chi & QiGong
Internally and externally speaking, Gong Fu is indeed an inexhaustable well of spiritual knowing.

Those of you who study or practice either one of the above mentioned disciplines, I have a question.

What would you tell someone if they were trying to find out why these disciplines are so widely written about, revered and meditated upon?

What have YOU gained from them?

The statement, "The Shaolin and The Wu-Tang could be dangerous." only means, "The external and internal martial arts, once combined, could be dangerous." Why is this so?

We all know that the external arts are deadly, but what specifically makes the internal arts even deadlier?

In my own personal pursuit of many styles, I find the internal arts to be most [background=transparent !important]beautiful[/background]. Simply because they've given me a much richer understanding of many other fields of study. For example, studying QiGong, I completely understand Dr. Jose Arguelles' guidelines for evolution. Etc.

I think it is extremely close to the type of :duck: and misinformation that us legitimate (read: not con men) practitioners of IMA seek to avoid. Practice of neigong/qigong will not make you a superman or more deadly. I practice two neigong sets as part of my curriculum, Wang Ji Wu's set and the Tian Gan routine and i can tell you that the benefit lies here:

1)flexibility
2)developing relaxed emphasis on body mechanics and joint positioning
3)meditative benefit

You are not gaining any metaphysical energy or hidden power by practicing neigong. I also find the bit about qigong to be silly, seeing as how many "external" martial arts utilize neigong sets of their own. A lot of "shaolin" schools have them as well, and even unaffiliated styles like the Fujian White Crane and Hung Gar.

I think that you can gain a lot of understanding through deep repetitive practice, in a way that is hard to explain, but i thoroughly resent the "IMA>EMA" implications of that paragraph.