Essential The Locker Room's Random Thoughts

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Outside of a Nas or Jay...these nikkas in Rap stay getting they pockets rifled until they finally check them balances and see them cents signs instead of dollar signs.

And you have very few avenues to recoup cash.. You can't really tour like you want because shyt still crippled in the concert scene and most of the money these nikkas make gets eaten up by the label anyway

nikkas still getting draws snatched in 2020 :mjcry:

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
So a barometer on where things are heading..

My friend runs a large seafood distributor out of the SC low country.

Business died in March and he cut staff to the bare bone for a few months. He applied for PPP in June and brought everybody back as NC, SC and GA reopened. There was an immediate bump in business as everyone piled back into restaurants. Great for a few months, however, I just talked to this dude earlier and business is beginning to slow down fast again..not as bad but it's very noticeable.

A lot of his customers have been going out of business WHILE they've been ramping up on orders through the summer. This dude services national chains like Cheesecake Factory, Red Lobster, Carrabbas and major hotels like Sheraton, Marriott and Ritz Carlton.. They're ALL cutting back abruptly on orders or fighting for larger discounts on product or resorting to getting cheaper, lower quality meats. (If you go out to eat and notice a change in the quality of your meal..then this is why. Regardless if it's seafood, beef, veggies, etc.). Dude is worried about another sharp drop off in business like March going further into late fall..

Long story short, the struggle is real and without stimulus..the house of cards is shifting uneasily into negative space.

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
its like they don't even try to learn the business side
after all this time and knowledge out here, they still getting raped :dame:

I mean, look at it like this..you're a young nikka from South Central but you got a talent for lyrics and beats and you got a wave of nikkas who rock with you. You're a label's dream. Don't need to really spend much on marketing cause you already built up your following and they figure they can lock you down for cheap because who's teaching nikkas in the hood financial sense?

First, talented hood nikkas is clueless because they don't realize that you've already built your platform. nikkas throwing up music on SoundCloud, YT, Spotify, etc all WITHOUT label support...all you need to do is either tour ON YOUR OWN or SELL your music directly. There's too many avenues now where you can successfully achieve this! Ryan Leslie is the best example of the success I'm talking about..man owns ALL of his music and MAKES $$$$ on relatively small sales!

These new dudes BUILD up their platform THEN sell it away to a label for cheap. Record executive flashes a check for 500k in your face and you might go into shock by seeing that much money but you not realizing that this dude has valued your platform in the millions and HAS locked you down into making sure THEY get the recoupment on that investment. Then you get nikkas like T.I. or Kanye who realize that they got shorted even though they made money, they still came up short in the game because they couldn't add or subtract with these record execs..you worth 30 million when you really could've been worth 100 million if you were smarter.

Dontay Flaco

fka King Napz
Daps
Reppin
VA
There's another beat album after Donuts? :dwillhuh:
Yup, PBW talked about in a interview a couple years back. Apparently he's the only one who has it. He said back in 05 when Dilla moved to Cali he gave him 3 Beat CDs one being Donuts, the other one being Pizzaman. He never what the third cd was tho. And as far as The Last Beat Cd, to my knowledge that was the actual joint Dilla was working on on his death bed, not Donuts.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Yup, PBW talked about in a interview a couple years back. Apparently he's the only one who has it. He said back in 05 when Dilla moved to Cali he gave him 3 Beat CDs one being Donuts, the other one being Pizzaman. He never what the third cd was tho. And as far as The Last Beat Cd, to my knowledge that was the actual joint Dilla was working on on his death bed, not Donuts.

:ohhh: