The "let's not take this shyt so seriously" AEW news & fukkery thread

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Thurston noted that the Puck News report didn't mention MAX :jbhmm:

Shockwave on TruTV and not Tubi :mjcry:

Puck News is usually pretty close to being spot on with their reporting. It's a true Hollywood insider newsletter. In the end, AEW may find it to be more profitable to keep the $50 PPV model but I don't see that way. We'll see what happens but part of the reason why I feel WWE has increased ticket sales is because Peacock made WWE's reach on PPV far more than what WWE Network was.

Anyway, if it's around $170M/year for their current content and then they have something else they are shopping, it sounds like AEW could begin to turn a profit next year.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Puck News is usually pretty close to being spot on with their reporting. It's a true Hollywood insider newsletter. In the end, AEW may find it to be more profitable to keep the $50 PPV model but I don't see that way. We'll see what happens but part of the reason why I feel WWE has increased ticket sales is because Peacock made WWE's reach on PPV far more than what WWE Network was.

Anyway, if it's around $170M/year for their current content and then they have something else they are shopping, it sounds like AEW could begin to turn a profit next year.
It was speculated they “only” needed like $120-130 to be profitable if I remember correctly

I find it interesting it says twice a week on three networks. I guess that means at least one of those nights is being simulcasted on TruTV. I don’t know what value airing on TruTV really brings, but never hurts to be distributed on a network that caters to a different audience.

Interested to see if Rampage is getting replaced by Shockwave or if Rampage is being absorbed into Dynamite or Collision.

$170 is allegedly a big increase as we don’t know for sure what they were making before. Especially if it’s for one less hour of content.

PPVs will be on Max in some capacity according to Zarian. Hopefully it’s included in the cost of a Max subscription and not some add on or still a PPV.

Last edited:

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Also wonder how they came to an agreement on 3 years + 4th year WBD option. That's not a particularly long deal, really puts AEW under pressure to turn around the declining ratings trend pretty quickly if they want to get an increase next time.

They mostly seem to be on the right path creatively as far as the stories go, though there is still some bad stuff like Learning Tree and the Elite.

Booking wise for Collision it could stand to be drastically improved. I like it most weeks, but it's rarely something that is must watch. Going to take a LONG time to turn the rep of that program around though.

Rampage looks like it's effectively dead - either being rolled into one of the two nights on WBD or being replaced by Shockwave. The rep of that program after being treated like a C show (even when they didn't have Collision to be the B show) for so long was likely irreparable in that current timeslot though.

But if they don't drastically improve all aspects of their communications department, then I don't think anything they do creatively and booking wise will have any significant effect on the ratings as long as WWE is hot. And WWE's hot streak doesn't seem like it's going to be cooling off anytime soon. Like everyone on here that can be objective about things can pretty much agree that overall creatively that AEW is in a much better place than it was a year ago.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Fightful with some more info on WBD/AEW. Not much new, but found this tidbit interesting

Sources we've spoken to at AEW say that things have been tight lipped about the future of the deal, and that talent has not been privy to the details of AEW's TV future, or the future of PPVs. However, several on both sides that we've spoken to believe that the MAX/PPV and streaming deals very well could be separate from the amount outlined by Ourand, and a part of a different deal the two sides are working on.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
If PPVs aren't included in that $170 package, and they get two separate deals for MAX/PPV and Shockwave, that would easily put them over $200m per year. That would put them on that yearly average for that One Bill Phil deal, length of the contract just wouldn't get them to the one billion total.

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
Feels like something is finally happening with Ospreay and his connections to Don. Maybe Hobbs comes back and attacks Ospreay? I don't know if they'll involve Takeshyta too much, he looks like he might finally get that one vs. one with Okada.

Side note and completely unrelated... who remembers this classic :myman:

If AEW is bringing in The Hurt Syndicate, Hobbs needs to tell Don Callis to fukk off and join them.

Def like that this is an option for her and others. Of course she had to say something cuz of the comment. What some don't realize is that this wrestling shyt isn't guaranteed. Some may not make it and some may have their careers cut short. Good for them to be able to have a possible alternative. Besides its not just about being a wrestler, referee, or commentator, that are the only jobs in a wrestling company. Those are just the ones we see on tv more frequently. Way more routes they can take if need be.

That's dope that Snowman does that. Obviously a drop in the bucket for him, but can definitely help the wrestlers with whatever they do after they hang their boots.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Also wonder how they came to an agreement on 3 years + 4th year WBD option. That's not a particularly long deal, really puts AEW under pressure to turn around the declining ratings trend pretty quickly if they want to get an increase next time.

They mostly seem to be on the right path creatively as far as the stories go, though there is still some bad stuff like Learning Tree and the Elite.

Booking wise for Collision it could stand to be drastically improved. I like it most weeks, but it's rarely something that is must watch. Going to take a LONG time to turn the rep of that program around though.

Rampage looks like it's effectively dead - either being rolled into one of the two nights on WBD or being replaced by Shockwave. The rep of that program after being treated like a C show (even when they didn't have Collision to be the B show) for so long was likely irreparable in that current timeslot though.

But if they don't drastically improve all aspects of their communications department, then I don't think anything they do creatively and booking wise will have any significant effect on the ratings as long as WWE is hot. And WWE's hot streak doesn't seem like it's going to be cooling off anytime soon. Like everyone on here that can be objective about things can pretty much agree that overall creatively that AEW is in a much better place than it was a year ago.
I think this is more of a TK move because WBD might be bought out in a few years anyway and you don't want to be stuck in a long term deal with the possibility of management changing up.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If AEW is bringing in The Hurt Syndicate, Hobbs needs to tell Don Callis to fukk off and join them.

That's dope that Snowman does that. Obviously a drop in the bucket for him, but can definitely help the wrestlers with whatever they do after they hang their boots.
Crazy thing is shes going to be in a better position that most wrestlers will be in her later years. Nothing like having a free degree to fall back on.

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
Aew got paid?

We back baby

giphy.gif

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
They basically need the Hurt Syndicate because as things stand, they don't have enough star power to carry two shows that "need" good ratings. Adding Lashley + MVP would help a Collision/Shockwave or whatever name they give to the show they are shopping outside of WBD.

They might have to do separate taping crews that get reshuffled after 2-3 months, that way the avoid a "brand split" and mix and match people in different shows until they all converge on PPV.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
I don't think syringe matches are a real thing or even using a real syringe :pachaha: and if spots like that happen it prolly be at a ppv.
Tony Khan might as well lean all the way into it. They've already used needles, barbed wire boards, plate glass, and legos; it's time Tony goes full IWA Mid-South and gives us piranhas!
Side note, I bought an FMW DVD because it had a piranha match included, and the guy who fell in the tank killed a bunch of the fish when he landed on them. :mjlol:

This isn't the same match (I guess the FMW match was scrubbed from the net), but yes, piranha matches are a real thing: