acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Some more info about Season 2.

The Legend of Korra Cast and Creators Talk Book Two

Second season to explore the Spirit World and the Avatar legacy.

by Max Nicholson
July 26, 2012

The Legend of Korra creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko gave us a lot to chew on at their Comic-Con panel recently. Most notably, we learned that the show was picked up for an additional 26 episodes, which brings the final tally to 52 episodes total (spread across four books). And now that Korra has mastered all four elements, Book Two: Spirits is already shaping up to be one of the most unique and exciting seasons of Avatar yet.

At Comic-Con, I had the pleasure of speaking with the cast and crew of The Legend of Korra: DiMartino, Konietzko, and stars Janet Varney (Korra), P.J. Byrne (Bolin), David Faustino (Mako) and Seychelle Gabriel (Asami). To start, we discussed the upcoming season and talked about what the characters have been up to since the end of Season 1.

As we learned at the Korra panel, the story picks up six months later. Mako has joined the Republic City Police Force as a cop. "He's making a big name for himself busting triads," said DiMartino. We also learned that Asami has taken over Future Industries from her father, who is now in prison. Following her breakup with Mako, Asami will be focusing on getting Hiroshi’s company back up and running. As Gabriel described it, her character is kind of like another misunderstood hero we might remember: “I saw this one cool meme about Asami that had these bullet points: she’s wealthy, she lost both of her parents, she was turned away by her love, and then it just said, ‘Asami is Batman.’”

Meanwhile, Bolin just wants to find his way in the world. "He’s trying to get back into pro-bending
," said DiMartino. "There’s a lot of fun stuff in there, Bolin getting into shenanigans." But as the creator noted, Season 2 is all about Korra. "We’ll get more into the spiritual side of things; we’ll learn more about the Avatar State and the Spirit World."

Both creators knew that if they extended the original 12-episode order into multiple seasons, they would want to explore beyond Korra's years in training. "We wanted to jump farther ahead into Korra’s life," said Konietzko. "We didn’t want to just start with a kid who needed to learn all four elements. That was Aang’s story. We wanted this to provide opportunities and dynamics that were different for us. In that way, having Korra be older and starting out having mastered three of the elements gave us a different story to tell... Korra is now kind of the Avatar, so how does she deal with it? Even though she has all this power... she’s kind of the bull in the china shop. She rushes in and fights with emotion and gets a little hotheaded. So that still gives us a lot of opportunity in the writing room."

Adding to that, Varney recalled one instance in which she totally related with her iron-willed character. "I would not say that I am like Korra in all the ways that she’s amazing, but I am certainly like her in the ways that she’s headstrong and impatient. I was playing tennis not very long ago -- I love to play tennis, but I was not playing well -- and I actually thought to myself, 'Be the leaf!' [Laughs] I was so frustrated! I get so frustrated in situations like that, and I could hear that in my head. I literally thought, 'Korra had to learn, I have to learn,' and I played better!"

As the title of the season suggests, Korra will also be visiting the Spirit World in future episodes. While the creators mentioned that additional appearances from Avatar Aang are still possible, they also revealed that they have something special planned for Book Two. "We have one of the most flashback-y of flashbacks coming up," said DiMartino. "We have something in store. We don’t want to give it away quite yet. It seems like we always do some kind of flashback episode or sequence, something like that."

"We do have a history of doing that throughout Avatar," added Konietzko, "and I think that gives it a sense of history and mythology; it’s wider than just the story that you’re watching. And [in Book Two], we’re doing it in a bigger way than we’ve ever done it before. It definitely deals with the legacy of the Avatar."

In addition to its sprawling anthology, Book Two will delve deeper into its romantic story arcs as well
. Some fans have expressed frustration with the pairing of Mako and Korra, but Faustino notes that he's well aware of the controversy. "I’m just trying to hide from the fangirls that are a little upset with Mako at this point," he joked. "He’s not really clearly deciding between Korra and Asami. There are some pissed off fangirls out there, so I’m in hiding." Added Konietzko, "We had to tell the fans online before the panel that David is not actually Mako."

DiMartino clarified the love interest situation: "Korra and Mako are now together," he said. "They both have these really important jobs. He’s a cop, she’s the Avatar -- and things can get a little complicated. They’re in these respectable positions, and they're trying to maintain this relationship. Then we have one of the most bizarre love stories for Bolin, which I don’t want to give away. In Avatar, we have plenty of relationship stuff going on -- love triangles and stuff like that -- but I think the ones we deal with in Book Two, we’ve never done before. They’re different dynamics."

Of course, one of the most popular (albeit platonic) relationships of Season 1 was found with Lin Beifong and Tenzin. Varney in particular expressed that Lin's sacrifice in "Turning the Tides" was a season staple. "I feel like it’s one of the biggest things that happens in Book One," she said. "I am so not over what happened to Lin Beifong. I am so not over it. That was one of my favorite things, getting all the tweets from people after that episode aired. So many people tweeted me saying, 'I cannot stop crying!' I love the Tenzin/Lin/Pema storyline."

"I think we’ve learned that it doesn’t matter what we do, we’ll always upset most people," said Konietzko of the romances. However, it's experimenting with these different dynamics that often pays off in some form or another. "Most movies and stuff, it’s all about leading up to the relationship happening. But very few things deal with 'Now we’re together,' [like with Korra and Mako] or 'It didn’t work out,' like with Tenzin and Beifong -- yeah, you still love these people, but it didn’t work out. I think those are kind of interesting things for us to deal with."

In any case, there's no denying that the fans have been in constant support of the show as a whole. Coming in on the heels of their enthusiastic panel, the cast and creators said the crowd reaction at Comic-Con was more than they ever could have hoped for. "We’re a little overwhelmed right now, but it’s awesome," remarked DiMartino. "We’ve seen some really great costumes. It’s pretty amazing."

"I think it kind of puts it into perspective for us," added Faustino. "We’ve been hearing that it was going to be like this, but hearing about it and experiencing it are two different things. This is the reality of what we’ve been hearing."

"To see the fans -- some of them dressed up like [our characters] -- we’re so blown away," said Byrne. "It’s a great opportunity for us to get that visceral feeling of the love that the fans have for the show... I think we actually need more TV like this. The lessons that Mike and Bryan put out there allow you to actually have conversations with your kids, and kids can question their parents about certain things; there's also a lovely mythology to it all. Hopefully the kids that are watching it now will ultimately watch it again with their own children."

The Legend of Korra Cast and Creators Talk Book Two - IGN

Looks like we'll :eat: good off the next season.

Tenzin's older sister Kya:

tumblr_m74f6w7ZXN1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg

Tenzin's older brother Bumi:

tumblr_m74apx3Pcd1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg

Korra's new outfit:

tumblr_m74a27Vp4u1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg

One of the bad guys from Season 2:

tumblr_m74gpoFAmm1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg

cfountain

Wavy Like A Lake
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
this show is too big and has too much potential for Nickelodeon...but I dont know who could handle it better.

:yeshrug:just how I feel.

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this show is too big and has too much potential for Nickelodeon...but I dont know who could handle it better.

:yeshrug:just how I feel.

This show has done well in Nickelodeon. If one of these other bigger networks get a hold of it, they'll fukk it up with "Let's appeal to other demographics too" BS ideas.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This show has done well in Nickelodeon. If one of these other bigger networks get a hold of it, they'll fukk it up with "Let's appeal to other demographics too" BS ideas.

I highly doubt that. Considering how much Cartoon Network has been appealing to its periphery demographic with almost ALL of its current big shows being rated TV-PG, I think they would handle it well.

Disney Channel and Disney XD would probably also treat it well, considering how much they let slide with Tron: Uprising.

Nickelodeon's not the worst network to handle it by any means, but they do have a lot of BS practices (no more than 20 episodes a year, weird airing schedules, cancelling a show if it skews too old).

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I highly doubt that. Considering how much Cartoon Network has been appealing to its periphery demographic with almost ALL of its current big shows being rated TV-PG, I think they would handle it well.

Disney Channel and Disney XD would probably also treat it well, considering how much they let slide with Tron: Uprising.

Nickelodeon's not the worst network to handle it by any means, but they do have a lot of BS practices (no more than 20 episodes a year, weird airing schedules, cancelling a show if it skews too old).

Moving it to Disney or Cartoon Network seems like a lateral movement.

Speaking of Tron, did they stop showing new episodes? My DVR isn't recording anymore new episodes.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Well, you gotta understand, this isn't like the OG series where there were 3 seasons planned out from the start.

Legend of Korra was originally just planned as a 12-episode miniseries. It wasn't until later that Nick decided to order a second season. So at the time they were making these episodes they didn't know if there would be a Season 2, so they wanted to wrap everything up rather than risk ending on a cliffhanger that never gets resolved.

Season 2 will probably be the same, because they're going into it not knowing if it'll be the last season or not. It is what it is - cats would complain even more if the series ended on a cliffhanger and got cancelled.

Do you work on the show, because you're acting like you do. Don't get me wrong, your passion is great but let's face it; shows do get cancelled but that's no reason for any writer to write in a one season setup. If you want to say a bigger story are you really going compromise because it MIGHT get cancelled? and this is sequel to a very popular show, it had to be very terrible for them to cancel that shyt.