The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I really want to get into the series eventually. But playing 9 games feels kind of overwhelming right now.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I really want to get into the series eventually. But playing 9 games feels kind of overwhelming right now.
It is overwhelming considering how samey the story beats get between games.

If you do ever start I'd recommend to begin with the Sky series. The temptation will be to start at Cold Steel but it spoils all the other series. I guess if you never plan to play Sky and Crossbell then starting there works though.

I'd be sure to space all those games out because it's easy to get burned out on them. I played Zero and Ao back to back and got burned out. It took me from 2015 to 2020 to play all 9.

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
Nearly done with Trails in the sky 1.

Trails of cold steel is on sale for Steam but there's no point coping it, I ain't playing that for another 3 years....:francis:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
@winb83 i’m looking to either start this series or Tokyo Xanadu. Which one do you recommend?

I want a JRPG to play on my Vita. Basically what i’m looking for

I want something that feels like i’m playing an anime (like P4G)

Something with engaging characters and a epic story

Something with a dope love story (I like romance in my RPG’s. I want to “get the girl” in the end)

Something that has Anime cutscenes

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
@winb83 i’m looking to either start this series or Tokyo Xanadu. Which one do you recommend?

I want a JRPG to play on my Vita. Basically what i’m looking for

I want something that feels like i’m playing an anime (like P4G)

Something with engaging characters and a epic story

Something with a dope love story (I like romance in my RPG’s. I want to “get the girl” in the end)

Something that has Anime cutscenes

One thing I will say is that only 1 & 2 are available on the vita that has been localized. So you would need to play on windows, switch or PS4 to play through just the cold steel series.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
One thing I will say is that only 1 & 2 are available on the vita that has been localized. So you would need to play on windows, switch or PS4 to play through just the cold steel series.

Thats fine I have a PS4 so I can play 1&2 on Vita then 3&4 via remote play from my PS4.

Provided the series meets my criteria

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Thats fine I have a PS4 so I can play 1&2 on Vita then 3&4 via remote play from my PS4.

Provided the series meets my criteria
Cold Steel isn't terrible.... its just exhausting and spins its wheels hard at certain points in 3 and 4.

I'd actually recommend the first two without hesitation. :manny:

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is it like playing an Anime like P4G?
Is there romance?
Is the story epic?
Are there anime cutscenes?
Yes on there is romance in the games and the story is epic and it is hell a anime I mean every anime trope you can think of are in these games .

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Cold Steel isn't terrible.... its just exhausting and spins its wheels hard at certain points in 3 and 4.

I'd actually recommend the first two without hesitation. :manny:
To me 3 is the best in the series. The first game is mostly build up and plot light until the very end. The second is also fairly uneventful. The third game resets the stage and feels far more eventful the last game has some of the greatest moments in the entire Trails series in it. It's a bit bloated but if you played through the other 2 series it's an amazing payoff.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
To me 3 is the best in the series. The first game is mostly build up and plot light until the very end. The second is also fairly uneventful. The third game resets the stage and feels far more eventful the last game has some of the greatest moments in the entire Trails series in it. It's a bit bloated but if you played through the other 2 series it's an amazing payoff.

Are there anime cutscenes? Is there romance? Would you recommend this series or a game like Tokyo Xanadu for someone who wants a playing experience similar to P4G?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Is there romance?
Is the story epic?
It's pretty much playing through an Anime. It's actually very shounen in nature.

The romance is like Persona romance. You can pick a girl and romance her but it doesn't really impact the main story much. In the first 3 games there's clearly a canon love interest but in the final game they backed off and made almost any woman romancable.

The story has epic moments. Much of the goings on are subdued though. Especially in the first game.

Not really any anime cut scenes it's mostly in-engine.

If you like Persona and JRPGs in general these are upper tier games. I wouldn't recommend starting with Cold Steel because the main draw of this series is that it's a continuous story through all the games. Sky and Crossbell should probably be played first though you could play Ao after Cold Steel 2. Both Ao and Cold Steel 2 spoil each other which ever way you play them and CS3 and especially 4 spoil the series as a whole.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The best comparison that can be made is the Marvel cinematic universe. How all the films build and tell a continuous story. That's the Trails series. Maybe a good comparison is Xenosaga, without the excessive forced religious references, how it's across multiple games. It's more character heavy and world building. The world is very much as important as the characters.

The Trails series has its faults but overall it's my favorite series in gaming and I'm a Persona fan. Trails of Cold Steel has an undeniable Persona influence.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Is there romance?
Is the story epic?
not sure what you mean by epic. its.... you play your part in shaping events that all play a part in a much greater overarching story until Cold Steel 4

no animated cutscenes

there are romance elements but they're pretty bad, persona tier stuff really.

i don't think Persona's gameplay is all that special really, but I'd put Trails above the gameplay above it either way

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
If you looking similar to P4G why not play Persona 3 or 5? Persona games are unique I don’t think you will get that experience from another franchise.